Calling All Army Dawgies - When and Where did you go to Boot camp.

SADS 669

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2013
Long Island, Bahamas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark....Aqua pulse 1B....Equinox ll
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
FreedomUIC said:
I did my training at Fort Dix, NJ Oct - Dec 1978, A/6/3. That is Alpha Company, 6th Basic Training Battalion, 3rd Basic Training Brigade.

Most memorable experience in Boot was the two guys from California, never seen snow. Snowed about a foot one night while we
were in the rack. They woke up about 3:00 a.m. and ran outside in the skivies and boots, not a single stitch of clothing other
than what was mentioned. They were making snow angels, having a snowball fight and making a gigantic ruckus. Woke up the
DI's who called everyone outside for formation. Rule was everybody had to be in the same uniform, the two jerk lids did'nt have
time to get upstairs and change so the whole platoon had to strip to skivies and boots(no socks). Then we did PT for
5 minutes in the snow and were released to go back into the barracks.
While performing CQ for the night, I overhead the company commander chewing the living bejesus out of the two DI's who
made us do PT in the snow. A week later they were gone, two days after that the 1st SGT was gone and two weeks before
graduation the Company commander was relieved. All this because two knuckleheads had never seen snow before....:icon_scratch:

Joined the Military Police (because they got a stripe straight out of basic) then got fed up with breaking up bar fights, because it hurts.... Favourite recruit depot story is seeing super shiny boots ( with real polish put on for hours) flying out of 3rd story windows aimed at the sidewalk because the drill sergeant didn't think they were up to standard..happy days (sic) after another 15 yrs washed up as seaweed in the Bahamas.... Another story there...

tomted62

Oct 30, 2008
Tiro, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ft. Benning, GA 1980, 4th Plt, 1st ITB. Decided that joining the Army after HS graduation was a good idea. Who knew that Georgia was so hot in the summer time!!

rickv14623

Dec 24, 2012
upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basic and AIT Field Arty Fire Direction Ft Sill, OK 1976 1st post HHSB 2/320 FA 101st Abn

Paleopilot

Dec 4, 2012
South Dakota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting thread, I feel like an "ole" guy now! :laughing7: Ft. Lewis Wash. Basic, 1968, AIT, Ft. Sill OK, Cannon-Cocker, 105 Howitzers, RVN 1969.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basic and AIT Field Arty Fire Direction Ft Sill, OK 1976 1st post HHSB 2/320 FA 101st Abn

Were you guys over by the parade field? I was in the 326th Engineers and there was a FA unit next to us. I think it was the 320th.

Gestus

Sep 13, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft Jackson SC. A 4/13th june 1996. I was at Ft Gordon GA for AIT and did not leave for 3 years, i simply loaded my belongings into a cab and took a ride to the permanent party side of Burton Field.

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft Jackson SC. A 4/13th june 1996. I was at Ft Gordon GA for AIT and did not leave for 3 years, i simply loaded my belongings into a cab and took a ride to the permanent party side of Burton Field.

Burton Field, I was trying to remember the name of that PT field for the last three months. :censored:

sacrifice

Greenie
Jun 3, 2006
Southwest Idaho
Detector(s) used
Compass Yukon 77B | Bounty Hunter 8900 | Whites Eagle II SL | Whites GMT |Whites v3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft Ord, CA - 5 Nov 73 to mid-Dec 73. One of the shortest BCT cycles so they say. Did AIT in Ft Ord in 74 then off to Asia. :occasion14:

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fort Jackson sc both basic and ait. Basic end of 2006 ait beginning of 2007. Stationed at ft Polk, la 2007-2009

L

l2hunt

Good ol' FT. Dix.... stationed there November 1978 until April 1979 as permanent party duty.

L

l2hunt

Hey I went through OSUT there as well entered August 1978.... you are right it's one hot mamma in the summer hahahah

recondigger

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2012
Western New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
garrett at4 beach hunter, bounty hunter,CZ-5,CZ-7, Minelab EXP SE, Garrett ACE-150, E-Trac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fort Knox 2003 To become a 19 Delta Calvary scout. Still serving active duty 2 BCT 10th mountain DIV

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was really grateful for the 4ths csm my first weekend on post. Went to walk to the of had bad directions and ended up walking by his office as it started raining wearing jeans and a tshirt only. Guy gave me a tour of base within walking distance of the temp varracs

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
Fort Knox 2003 To become a 19 Delta Calvary scout. Still serving active duty 2 BCT 10th mountain DIV

I was at Knox may, June, and July of 03. You were OSUT though. I have some EOD buddy's still there. I was in 705th EOD here at Ft. Polk and we support 4th Bde 10 Mtn Div for EOD support. The rest of my Bn supports the rest of your division. You hear anything about them pulling 4th BCT up to Drum? There's talk about them pulling 5,300 troops out of polk.

Cl1983

Feb 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What brigade was the 705th in. Was it the 1st meb? I was in the 46th engineers at Polk as a mechankc

EODsweeper

Jan 7, 2013
Yeah we were attached to the MEB. I was A Co. 46th Eng before I went to EOD. I went to ramadi with the 46.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread