Calling All Army Dawgies - When and Where did you go to Boot camp.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did my training at Fort Dix, NJ Oct - Dec 1978, A/6/3. That is Alpha Company, 6th Basic Training Battalion, 3rd Basic Training Brigade.

Most memorable experience in Boot was the two guys from California, never seen snow. Snowed about a foot one night while we
were in the rack. They woke up about 3:00 a.m. and ran outside in the skivies and boots, not a single stitch of clothing other
than what was mentioned. They were making snow angels, having a snowball fight and making a gigantic ruckus. Woke up the
DI's who called everyone outside for formation. Rule was everybody had to be in the same uniform, the two jerk lids did'nt have
time to get upstairs and change so the whole platoon had to strip to skivies and boots(no socks). Then we did PT for
5 minutes in the snow and were released to go back into the barracks.
While performing CQ for the night, I overhead the company commander chewing the living bejesus out of the two DI's who
made us do PT in the snow. A week later they were gone, two days after that the 1st SGT was gone and two weeks before
graduation the Company commander was relieved. All this because two knuckleheads had never seen snow before....:icon_scratch:

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Ft Jackson South Carolina Jan 1980 A/7/2 Third Platoon
I always got a kick out of how they kept telling us that if the base got cut off from outside world that we could run everything and we got one inch of snow on the ground and everything closed for the day LOL

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did my basic at Ft. Jackson SC Oct 1992 E 3/28th Inf.

I remember pulling up in front of our barracks on "sky blue" the buses from reception station. The drlli sergeant says "YOU'VE GOT 30 SECONDS TO GET OFF MY BUS AND 28 OF THEM ARE GONE, MOVE!

Did my AIT at Ft. Lee ,VA. Like FreedomUIC, the first snowfall had a bunch of our guys acting silly. I remember watching from the 3rd floor as many were frolicking in the snow. My buddy was from Louisiana and was losing his mind. LOL

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ft. Knox, Kentucky, 1973.

Attachments

• IMG00005.jpg
    IMG00005.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 2,483

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft. Ord California Charlie Company 6th Battalion 3rd Basic Combat Training Brigade 1975 then to Ft. Sill OK for AIT (82C).

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fort Benning Ga. C-8-2. During the summer heatwave of 1983.

Fort Benning, The Benning School For Boys. --->>>> OCS
I was at Fort Gordon for almost a year for AIT, nice but it got cold in the wintertime....

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO. OSUT, September of 1977. Combat Engineers. Hot as hell when we got there and cold as f**k when we left.

LuckyThirteen08

Sep 17, 2012
Grundy VA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Teknetics Delta 4000,Teknetics Omega 8000,Teknetics Gamma 6000,Minelab Pro-Find 25 Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BCT@Ft Sill OK, 2003, 1/22 Field Artillery

AIT@Ft Bliss TX,2003,1/57 Air Defense Artillery

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Fort Leonard Wood, MO. 1964. C-5-2.

There was a major meningitis epidemic when I was in basic. We were read orders that anyone with even a sore throat was to report to sick call. The sergeant who read it then said, "If you do, you will regret it." They issued a rule which said before you went on sick call, you had to take all your stuff, bedding; foot locker; and wall locker, to the stock room before you went.

We had a kid got so sick he was delerious. Another sergeant said, "If he can't turn in his stuff, let him lay there and die."

As soon as the sergeant left, everyone grabbed his stuff, took it to stock room, and him to sick call.

Long after I got out of the Army, the man who was at the same time I was there, the highest ranking enlisted man (I am guessing Sgt. Major E-9, but that was a long time ago) at Fort Leonard Wood moved to our city, and sold mobile homes. I told him that story, and he was furious. He said they were having to tell parents why their son died, and were frantic to stop the meningitis. He said if someone had reported those sergeants, they would have been in Fort Leavenworth for a long stay.

Sorry, that memory just came back to me. We were kids just in the Army, and they did have us scared to say a word.

paratrooper

Sep 20, 2004
Kingman AZ
Fort Dix for Basic (G Company). AIT at Fort Dix as well (I Company). Fort Benning, Georgia ( University of Gravity) and off to join Charlie AIRBORNE at Fort Richardson AK. Yes .... it was COLD!

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft. Dix Nj. Sept 17 1985 C/3/5 AIT grad 44E10 (machinist) April 16 1986 Aberdeen proving Grounds Md.
Had a nervous stutter when it came to "request permission to recover" during basic. So, needless to say... I mastered the pushup rather well. :laughing7:

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ft Jackson S.C. 1999, Eco 1/28th 2nd plt 1st sqd Black Lions, AIT Ft Eustis V.A. Cco 1/222 Avn 7th plt night stalkers, 2000 Grn PLT Ft Campbell Ky /Fco 1/160th SOAR , 2002 4th batt 101st Avn Dco Iraq 2003-04 ,2004-05 Div ALSE

BrassEagle

Mar 15, 2009
Grainte Bay
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster/Di
73-77 Basic Fort Ord, loved it there. AIT Fort Polk La. rain and hot. Jump school Fort Benning Ga,There a wall of water comming at me, Run! Can the sky do that. Onto Fort Braig NC HHC 1st Brig. 82nd Airborne. Thanks to all of you that did you time. AIRBORNE All the way.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just graduated from Fort Leonard Wood, December 18th 2012. Did basic and AIT here, my MOS is 31b military police. I'd have to say that this area has bi-polar weather lol it's crazy.

jason1565

Dec 26, 2012
ocala florida
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter quick draw 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats MP. Any idea of your duty station ? Been an MP myself for 15 years

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread