Purple Heart purchased at thrift store! Help!

planejet42

Jan 5, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yesterday, I went to a local thrift store to look around and see what they had. I got there a little before they closed and just had enough time to look around. All the way at the end of a row of glass display cases I saw a box marked "Purple Heart". I didn't have to time to investigate or purchase it. I couldn't sleep that night because curiosity was burning inside me. I ended up going back today, (12-3-12), and purchased it for $6.56!!!! The Purple Heart dates from WWII, but that's not the best part. On the back of the Purple Heart was a name. When I got home I quickly looked up the name on the internet and came up with a ton of information. The soldiers name, which was engraved on the back, was Frank J. Gmeiner. It turns out he was born on March 22, 1922 in Cleveland, Ohio (the city I live in) and was K.I.A. on December 10, 1944 in France. That alone was enough to make me incredibly pleased with my purchase. I did more research and found a couple pictures of the young soldier and learned what regiment and division he belonged to. I then looked to find out what battles were taking place in France at the time of his death. I came up with "The Battle of Sigolsheim" which began on December 9th, 1944 and carried on for a few days to my understanding. The date of his death and the date the battle match up, so I believe he was killed then. I now feel it is my duty to return this treasure to the family members. It may take a long time, but in the end I completely believe it will be worth it. Some things that make me scratch my head are why it would be at a thrift shop in the first place? Was it stolen from the family? Is it a lost piece of their heritage? I would doubt the family would have donated it because of the fact that it is part of their history and that it also has the man's full name on it. I plan on going down to probate court and try to search through old records to try to get some contact numbers for family members. Please wish me luck in this long, but incredibly interesting journey. If anyone has and tips or ideas PLEASE comment. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0907.JPG
    IMG_0907.JPG
    44.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 200
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    31.7 KB · Views: 219
  • Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 9.54.52 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 9.54.52 PM.png
    27.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 10.43.03 PM.png
    Screen shot 2012-12-03 at 10.43.03 PM.png
    18.7 KB · Views: 372

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't know what to say...it tears my heart apart & tears drip from my eyes. I'm so sad to know that an honorable soldier's PH was even found in a thrift shop. How it got there, I have no clue. If family member "lost" & it was quote "accidentally" placed in donations to thrift shop...I could understand. But, to the person at the thrift shop to not even care to what it was, not to even look at name & try to get it back to family & to top it all off & put a price tag on it. This is what cooks my goose. Put a price tag on it??? PFC Gmeiner paid the price for it. If the family did not want...to pass down to others in the family, it should of been donated to Amvets, American Legion in his memory. This is my opinion.

Planejet42, thank you for "rescuing" and the excellent research. As a veteran, IMHO if I were able to track down a family member, the 1st question asked would be how it come about to be found in a thrift store.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really don't know what to say...it tears my heart apart & tears drip from my eyes. I'm so sad to know that an honorable soldier's PH was even found in a thrift shop. How it got there, I have no clue. If family member "lost" & it was quote "accidentally" placed in donations to thrift shop...I could understand. But, to the person at the thrift shop to not even care to what it was, not to even look at name & try to get it back to family & to top it all off & put a price tag on it. This is what cooks my goose. Put a price tag on it??? PFC Gmeiner paid the price for it. If the family did not want...to pass down to others in the family, it should of been donated to Amvets, American Legion in his memory. This is my opinion.

Planejet42, thank you for "rescuing" and the excellent research. As a veteran, IMHO if I were able to track down a family member, the 1st question asked would be how it come about to be found in a thrift store.

I agree with you. There are certain medals that cannot sold or purchased in any way whatsoever, the PH is one of those medals. Please find a home for it in honor of its recepient.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you try the vfw they may be able to help ,, this reminds me of the family that threw out the grand dad MOH because it had no meaning to them and want nothing to do with it or military related stuff as they feel it is wrong to serve your country,,,,,,, when he passed away

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
WOW for one. Thx for saving the medal. I'd be sick to see that on display whether a thrift or a pawn shop. It belongs with a family member who will respect it. My wife's grandfather as well as mine served in WWII. I've seen their medals and was really touched by the sacrifice by them and for those who never got medals. I'd hope my family would NEVER let that happen. As noted before if the family can't be found, then donate to local VETS who will put in place of honor. I'd personally like to help find the family, if you need it. I've got too much time on my hands anyway. Good Luck

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I am betting that a person best described as a doofus is the one who was in charge of disposing his possessions. Be very careful about giving it back. Next time it will go in the trash. Find an area veteran's organization and it can be kept in honor.

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Most of the local American Legions will take them and put them in a place of honor. Over the years, I've found a few and have given them to the Legion.

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If nothing else contact the town hall in his hometown and they can display it with the info you found. His hometown would be proud to recognize him.

Army of 1

Jun 22, 2013
Dundee Northern Australia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro , Tesora Bandito 2 , Minelab GPX 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm dumbfounded that something of this significance is found in a thrift shop for a pissy $6.56 . Hopefully it can be presented and displayed in the relevent setting to honour this KIA serviceman . Kudo's to planejet42 for rescuing the medal and realising its importance .. cheers Mick

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
This could have been a very sad ending.

But YOU, planejet42, will have made a different ending.

Honors to you my friend.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a friend who got the Medal of Honor in WW2. After he died I wondered what became of it. Anyone know the laws on those medals?

gerryk

Jan 20, 2013
Orland Park
Detector(s) used
Minelab X Terra 705, Bounty Hunter Pro 505, Garrett Pro pointer, Pro swing 45, TDK WR 700 wireless headphones, leschee digger, green canvas mil surplus messenger bag as finds bag and brown bomb#2 to
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Medal of Honor can not be sold. It is i
Legal to sell, wear or possess it unless it was awarded to you. So i wonder if it is ok to hand it down in the family when so,eone who earned it passes.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The box is in wonderful shape, so it looks like it's been taken care of through the years. I wonder if it accidentally got auctioned off or put in a donation box after one of his brother's passed. Of course the speculation is endless.

Since Medals can be awarded posthumously, I assume it's the family that takes possession of the medal. But when even a few generations pass these awards can get lost or the family dies out. I'm thankful we have organizations like the VFW who will give these awards a place of honor.

mr_rich

Aug 21, 2013
Ormond Beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your a good person planejet42. Maybe it was in the pocket or hidden in something donated.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome rescue! Maybe you can find information on Mr. Gmeiner through the school district!
Thank you for your kindness, concern and respect!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions