Guam

jrmat127

Nov 22, 2012
Hello,

I'm currently stationed in Guam for the next 9 months and was wondering if anybody out there had any good advice on where to go metal detecting at? I'm stationed at the Naval base and I found out I have to be real careful where I detect because of UXO's. I'm really wanting to find old coins and relics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JR

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

daven2nl

Jan 29, 2013
Guam
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

I'm currently stationed in Guam for the next 9 months and was wondering if anybody out there had any good advice on where to go metal detecting at? I'm stationed at the Naval base and I found out I have to be real careful where I detect because of UXO's. I'm really wanting to find old coins and relics. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JR

JR,

New member here too... I am stationed on Guam also and have been here nearly 3 years. I've done some metal detecting, but it's frustrating out here.

Your best bet would be along Gab Gab beach on the NAVSTA, or in town - along the beaches in Tumon. Another place may be Tarague beach on Andersen AFB.

Stay away from the invasion beaches (Agat and Asan) - you will get in trouble with the NPS, plus you will find a ton of shrapnel everywhere as well as UXO. Navy security may give you a hard time at Gab Gab also because of the UXO risk.

I am interested in WW2 history and every time I have gone metal detecting I find 20 pieces of shrapnel for every one shell casing... and not much else. I've dug up some UXO also so it's just not worth it for me. Even in the jungle behind my house near NCTS - I found a bunch of nails, then M1 carbine rounds, then a loaded M1 carbine magazine. When I dug up a bunch of mortar fuses, I stopped digging.

There was heavy fighting on Orote Peninsula so expect to find a lot of junk there... but along the beach in Tumon it should not be that bad if you're looking for typical beach stuff.

-Dave

OP
OP
J

jrmat127

Nov 22, 2012
Dave,

I really appreciate your advice. I'm thinking about becoming scuba qualified so I can find some stuff in the water. I went to San Luis beach last weekened and didn't find a thing. Like you said, Gab Gab is probably ideal because there is a lot more traffic there vs San Luis beach. I would love to detect around some of these old forts, but once again the threat of UXO's and the difficulty of breaking brush in those areas makes it tough. I have access to a map that lets me know what areas on the Naval Base have been cleared and what areas haven't. I just haven't had time to go get the map yet. Thanks again for your advice and let me know if you can think of anything else.

Lostviking

Tenderfoot
Feb 22, 2013
British virgin islands
Detector(s) used
Ebinger ebex 420 PBD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UXO stands for Un-Exploded Explosive Ordinance.

I used to be a combat engineer in the NATO quick reaction force in Afghanistan. It means mineclearer.
If you are to dig at places where there might be UXO, make sure to have a buddy to stand by if something is to happen, and a decent evacuation plan.

I do not recommend doing this without proper training, so try to find a buddy in the engineer core. If you are going to do this anyway, I want to give a few tips.

NEVER search wider than your shoulders with the detector, and mark your path with spray colored rocks or small flags, markers or so on. On your return path, overlap the last path with half a detector head to make sure you did not miss anything.

Dig up 3 x 3 feet of sand, 2 foot deep on the area you shall search. Make sure this does not contain any metal readings and use this area to calibrate your detector (zero it) before each trip in to the place you shall clear.

When you get a reading:

*Prod the area with a long screwdriver or similar to see if there is a landmine or grenade. Have at least 30 degree angle on it. Do this carefully.

*start digging with a non metallic plastic showel (type garden) at least 15" from the place you pinpointed contact. Make sure to carefully make a trench towards it. Some times there might be stuff like a live hand grenade under a landmine or other object. Boobytraps are frequent among poor soldiers.

*leave all the sand behind you. Some times the sand itself gives a reading.

Again, I do not recommend doing this in such areas without proper training. Minimum training for such in Norway is at least 6 months.
If you find something, clear the area around it and make a huge sandbag pile all around it. Have someone blow it up. Make sure shrapnel does not further contaminate your search area (that a what the sandbags are for).

jblrice

Mar 30, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave,

I really appreciate your advice. I'm thinking about becoming scuba qualified so I can find some stuff in the water. I went to San Luis beach last weekened and didn't find a thing. Like you said, Gab Gab is probably ideal because there is a lot more traffic there vs San Luis beach. I would love to detect around some of these old forts, but once again the threat of UXO's and the difficulty of breaking brush in those areas makes it tough. I have access to a map that lets me know what areas on the Naval Base have been cleared and what areas haven't. I just haven't had time to go get the map yet. Thanks again for your advice and let me know if you can think of anything else.

JR and Dave,

Would it be possible for me to borrow some of your time?

I'm also stationed in Guam (since Oct 2012). Yesterday, I lost my tungsten wedding ring on Gun Beach. It's not a very expensive ring but has sentimental value. I've tried sifting through the sand to no avail. I found one place that rents detectors but only for ferrous metals and a pawn shop that had a decent one in stock...for over $1000.

If possible, there's a 10' x 10' area that I'd like to scan. Lunch would be on me!

-Joe

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Geeze, you gentlemen are making me feel old, your coffee is over there ---> X Some where in here, I posted an article on the Islands monetary base being dumped in the Ocean when the **** invaded Guam. As far as I know it is still unaccounted for. They intended to recover it after the war, but I cannot find any reference that they ever did.They were still making boom boom sounds when I was there in 44. But when I returned from the Philippine in 45 en route to "The Golden Gate in 48' it had quieted down. so go find that huge amount of Silver dollars etc, and have fun while doing it.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Gam news, on my way home from the Phjilippines.jpg

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Gee, I am 71, and you make me feel like a kid. when i was born, you were in the war already. Good job!

I think I wrote somewhere here that a year or so ago, I learned about cousins I had never heard of before. One died on Bougainville in 1944. He was a Marine, but as best as I can tell was left with his unit, those anti-aircraft units, I forget what they call them, when the Marines turned it over to the Army in late '43.

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also live in Guam. Been here 7 years now. Im prepping to start digging out here but also am a bit paranoid about UXO. There is a great deal of potential out here and would like to start going with someone. Anyone up?

jddee

Nov 23, 2013
GUAM / VERMONT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IAM NEW TO GUAM JUST GOT HERE 5 MONTHS AGO AND LOOKING FOR TREASURE HUNTING BUDDY. WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO LOOK FOR?

Bejamble

Oct 2, 2013
Guam
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Excal II, Fisher 1280X, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go anywhere really jd. Mostly look for coins and jewelry. Beaches parks and anywhere else I can get permission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Melbryant09

Feb 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband and I just went out for the first time since we received our metal detectors. We went to Gun beach, but left shortly after to go to Serena beach on Andersen. It would be nice to go out with people that are located here in Guam.

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was there 76-78, hunted all over. Tumon between the Hilton and Reef hotel was a jewelry box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread