What was your favorite and worst place you were station.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was in three of my four year enlistment. Two tours in Vietnam and shortened stay at G'tmo Bay. I really liked and disliked Nam. I felt my time in a CAP unit was very rewarding... felt like I was making a difference. But.... I am paying for it the rest of my unnatural life. G'tmo Bay was boring... mortar pits up at the fence. Only exciting thing happening there was when we did a drill and the Cubans did one at the same time!! Lined up on both sides of the fence wondering who would shoot first! TTC

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My best was probably Kunsan AB in Korea. My worst was Keesler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi. The humidity was terrible and the locals had bumper stickers " Keep Biloxi beautiful.....Kill an airman".
My best TDY was Cairo, Egypt. So much history there.Was a real world situation ( Khadafi was threatening to bomb ), but it was still better than the marine base at Beaufort, SC. Never forget the boiled chicken at the chow hall, lol.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in both the Navy and the Army. Favorite was the USS Carl Vinson CVN-70 World Cruise. Worst-Ft Gordon, Ga.(AIT)

Mike

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The worst had to be Sheppard AFB / North Texas...all of the local girls drove Ford pick ups , cowboy boots and had their name on the back of their belt ! It was not fun being in a F-4 Tornado either especially when you are on the side of the storm that dumps a bunch of barrels and debris on top of you from the sky !
The best was a tie between United States Air Force Academy , Colorado Springs or Mac Dill AFB / Tampa Florida ...Dilly Mac slightly edging out The Academy !

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Fav: Hohenfells.
Worst: Hunter-Liggett

My brother was stationed at Hunter-Liggett we had a bet on who had the worse base I won with Ft Irwin, CA Guess best place was Ft Richardson even though I was in the infantry there. Does AIT count I so then Ft Sam Houston was the best

Last edited:
OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was in both the Navy and the Army. Favorite was the USS Carl Vinson CVN-70 World Cruise. Worst-Ft Gordon, Ga.(AIT)

Mike

When I lived on Hamilton AFB, I knew the families of the Sailors that were assigned to the Carl Vinson but I don't think I ever saw the Sailors. I agree about Ft. Gordon it was a dump. I was there for 72E school.

OP
OP
Beans

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother was stationed at Hunter-Liggett we had a bet on who had the worse base I won with Ft Irwin, CA Guess best place was Ft Richardson even though I was in the infantry there. Does AIT count I so then Ft Sam Houston was the best

Ft. Sam Houston was a great place to be stationed. I was there for about 2 years, assigned to the 5th Recruiting Brigade.

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was at Bad Kissingen and Berchtesgaden in 1970-71. Loved it. Spent some time in Fürth, just outside Nürnberg, also. I guess my worst post was Ft. Lewis where I had boot camp.
i was at w.o. Darby kasern in furth and that was my favorite I would have to say all my duty stations were fun except when I was under 21 lol but That didn't matter once I made it to Germany. I guess ft McClellan would have been the worst place and I was there for over a year. Found out that place is the most contaminated base in the us army and I crawled around in the dirt and patrolled that base for 16 months. Ft Knox was a fun base too had a blast there when we weren't in the field or deployed.

Last edited:

SgtSki in MI

Oct 14, 2007
Hesperia, MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS & Explorer II, Fisher 1236-X2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My favorite duty station was FT Huachuca, AZ.

My least favorite was FOB MacKenzie at Al-Dulluyah, Iraq.

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I lived on Hamilton AFB, I knew the families of the Sailors that were assigned to the Carl Vinson but I don't think I ever saw the Sailors. I agree about Ft. Gordon it was a dump. I was there for 72E school.

I was a 72E as well. C-3-1 and lived off post with my wife in Grovetown. What a time I had.
Honor Graduate and only attended school for two days a week and then tested for the rest.
That was probably my most enjoyable.

Beans, when where you stationed at Fort Gordon?

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The worst had to be Sheppard AFB / North Texas...all of the local girls drove Ford pick ups , cowboy boots and had their name on the back of their belt ! It was not fun being in a F-4 Tornado either especially when you are on the side of the storm that dumps a bunch of barrels and debris on top of you from the sky !
The best was a tie between United States Air Force Academy , Colorado Springs or Mac Dill AFB / Tampa Florida ...Dilly Mac slightly edging out The Academy !

roaddust66,

You must have been at Sheppard AFB back in 79 when the tornado hit. Although I was long out by then, USAF 63-67, ironically I lived in Wichita Falls Tx. in 79 and was raising my son alone when that thing hit. It was an interesting time for sure! As far as the girls all driving Ford pickups and wearing boots with their names on the back of their belts, you probably met some real pretty country gals. Those were the women I was dating back then and both the men and women all wore those belts at that time and definitely still wear the boots now. I was never stationed at Sheppard and went to tech school at Chanute AFB in Illinois. After basic at Lackland in August, I swore I'd never go back to Texas, and now I've wound up living here for the last 40 years. A major change for a guy born and raised in Philly, but I love it here in Texas. Wound up living in Wichita Falls for a total of 17 years before moving from there too.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I was at Tinker AFB, it seemed every bad storm we got in OKC area originated in Wichita Falls.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

joesmarbles

Sep 17, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got to say basic at Amarillo in 1968, what a bunch of losers they had running that place, T.I was a fourteen year vet busted down to Two Stripper, drunk as a skunk, candidate for a blanket party for sure!.....Joe

DonF

Nov 28, 2006
Brick, NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Whites 5900/DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
36 years with the Navy. 20 active.

Best places:
Naval Station Roosevelt Roads, Puerto Rico
USS Spiegel Grove (LSD-32)

Worst places:
USS Detroit
Anywhere within a 30 mile radius of Norfolk, VA

fivepak

Greenie
Apr 30, 2014
Nashua, NH
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From best to worst would be:

1. Kirchgoens Germany

2. Baumholder Germany

3. Fort Carson, CO

4. Fort Stewart, GA

5. Kuwait

6. Iraq - though it was interesting

Who knows. In the near future I may add Ukraine to the list

Last edited:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Some years ago, when my daughter and her husband were stationed at Sheppard I went to visit them. I wanted some exercise, so had them drop me off at the beginning of a nature trail. Based on posted distances, I told them exactly how long it would take me to get to the end, figuring 18 minute miles, my usual pace on long walks.

I started seeing young men sitting under bridges, staring at nothing. i made 14 minute miles. :D

They told me there was nothing to do in wichita Falls, absolutely nothing. I scouted around and found what I thought was interesting stuff to see. "Gosh, we didn't know that was here." No, I don't suppose they did. We usually find what we are looking for.

Wildwest99

Greenie
Jun 25, 2014
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best - Tyndall AFB in Florida. I was mid 20s and it was still a party spring break town before the snowbird/retiree take over shut down all the fun

Worst - Ft Hood in Kileen, Tx. good LORD that place was a dump and we were just there using the runway.

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, reading some of these posts bring back some memories for sure, especially basic training, tech school and that infernal state called Texas, LOL!

I'd say the best assignment I had was Kunsan AB, Korea. I'm a junkie for world history and culture, and Korea has it in spades.

My worst assignment? Anytime I was sent to Texas for training. Dear lord, never again!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions