What was your favorite and worst place you were station.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope this topic has not be covered yet.

My best was Germany. Stationed in a place called Schwabisch Gmund. I was with a Pershing Missile unit and was there for 3 years. Met my wife there.

Ft. Bragg was the place I would like to forget. Was with a new Military Intelligence unit. I had come from a Field Artillery unit and could not adapt to the weak leadership and discipline, was lucky to be there for less then 2 years.

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My favorite was Germany as well. I was at Heilbronn the first time. The second time I was at Darmstadt. It sucked. The town was great but my unit ....... not so much.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I was in, in the 60's, for two years. I never really adapted well to military life, but managed to get in and get out without serious trouble. Got my honorable.

I saw no danger, except risk of being burned in training walking around in burning jet fuel in my asbestos suit, but was left with a guilty feeling that I had somehow cheated, so many suffered so much and so many died, and I had an easy two years of it. It is hard to explain, I guess.

In my case, the worst duty was my less than a year at North Fort Lewis with the 6/32 Arty, as wireman. The best was a few miles south in Crash Rescue at Gray Air base.

darthoblio

Jun 19, 2010
I was at Bad Kissingen and Berchtesgaden in 1970-71. Loved it. Spent some time in Fürth, just outside Nürnberg, also. I guess my worst post was Ft. Lewis where I had boot camp.

BryanM362

Mar 22, 2013
Cincinnati, OH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac with Sun Ray probe, Garrett AT Pro, White's Classic SL, Garret Pro-pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best was Schofield Barracks in Hawaii. Spent 3 years there. Was never stationed anywhere else except for training. Spent 2 - 4 month tours at Fort McClellan in Alabama (Basic training/MP school, and 7 years later MP Officers Basic Course), 5 weeks at Lackland AFB for Military Police Accident Investigation course, and 6 weeks at Ft Lewis for ROTC. Enjoyed them all.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best I would say was Ramstein Germany(going back next year ) and my worst was Norfolk Va. I was in the Navy when stationed in Norfolk and it was sailors and dogs stay off the grass.

Buzzlitebeer

Dec 29, 2012
NE FL
Detector(s) used
F4/Excal 2/NOX 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My best I would say was Ramstein Germany(going back next year ) and my worst was Norfolk Va. I was in the Navy when stationed in Norfolk and it was sailors and dogs stay off the grass.

23 years of my life in Norfolk. went to A school in Memphis Tn and asked to be sent anywhere over seas!!!! got Oceana VA!!! Mom still washed my clothes and made dinner! Goes down as the best for that.

Problem is I dont have a worst...I liked them all!

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My worst was Williams AFB at Chandler, AZ. Got sent their on a technical assist from Norton AFB at San Berdoo. Couldn't even find a poker game at Williams...they just rolled the sidewalks up at 4:30...LOL. The rest of my duty stations were OK.
Jim

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worst has to be Fort Dix, NJ - No longer an active Army base from what I understand and my favorite was Fort Lewis, WA.

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
United States Coast Guard Cutter Reliance Corpus Christi Texas. Worst

United States Coast Guard Port Aransas Texas. Best.

Attachments

• 1351183525_slowmotion_underwater_gunshot__glock_22.gif
    1351183525_slowmotion_underwater_gunshot__glock_22.gif
    3.4 MB · Views: 133

4son8ur

Mar 18, 2013
Midwest City, OK.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
best station was USS Shiloh(CG67) and worst would be USS Lincolin(CVN72). there where some good times there but that was only cause of a few really good people there.

Confederate Sailor

Aug 9, 2013
Athens, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Best - USS Enterprise CVN-65. I deployed as ship's company on her next to final combat deployment.

Worst - Aviation Intermediate Maintenance Dept. (AIMD) Norfolk, Va.

Last edited:

Rich in Texas

Jun 23, 2003
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MXT X2, Exploder, and Classic III
Worst - Honduras
Best - FT Riley Kansas. Sportsman's paradise! Metal detected the abandoned Camp Forsyth. My best day, over 30 silvers!

Confederate Sailor

Aug 9, 2013
Athens, Alabama
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Worst - Honduras Best - FT Riley Kansas. Sportsman's paradise! Metal detected the abandoned Camp Forsyth. My best day, over 30 silvers!

My grandfather was stationed at Fort Riley when artillery was still towed by horses. I hear the old stable is now a commissary.

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Best: Udorn RTAFB, Thailand
Worst: Lackland AFB, San Antonio, Tx (Basic Training)

Overvoltage

Apr 23, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett GTAx500, Infinium L/S, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Favorite was Eglin AFB Florida, what a paradise!
Worst Al Jaber Air Base Iraq

americanzero

Oct 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best-BAMC San Antonio! Was there in the Wtu for a while and loved it. Worst-fort campbell. The people are good but the area leaves something to be desired

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread