National Veterans Art Museum in Chicago

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
National Veteran's Art Museum in Chicago

Whispering Chimes

The National Veteran's Art Museum in Chicago has an unusual work of art which you may not have even known existed!

When visitors first enter the museum, they will hear a sound like wind chimes coming from above them and their attention will be drawn upward 24 feet to the ceiling of the two-story high atrium.

Chimes.jpg

The dog tags of the more than 58,000 service men and women who died in the Vietnam War, were hung from the ceiling of the National Vietnam Veterans Art Museum in Chicago on Veterans Day, November 11, 2010. The 10-by-40-foot sculpture, entitled Above & Beyond, was designed by Ned Broderick and Richard Stein.

Chimes2.jpg

The thousands of metal dog tags are suspended 24 feet in the air, 1 inch apart, from fine lines that allow them to move and chime with shifting air currents. Museum employees using a kiosk and laser pointer help visitors locate the exact dog tag with the imprinted name of a lost friend or relative.

"If you can read this, thank a Teacher ...
If you are reading it in English, thank a VET."

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep,

Does it say whether or not the families donated these dog tags or were they recreated dog tags for use here? Just curious but that's one hellava idea.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Deep,

Does it say whether or not the families donated these dog tags or were they recreated dog tags for use here? Just curious but that's one hellava idea.

I wondered that myself, but did not pursue it further - and should.

Right now I'm going on a Goodwill run to see if there's treasure there :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions