Or Does This:

Full_Size.jpg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Looks good, and now that you just mounted the scope, test it out and let us know if it is a tack driver like my .22-250. Frank five star.png

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You know how to hurt a guy! But give me a Rem 700 BDL 24" in .308 with a Leupold 3x9 40mm. I'll stuff the brass myself and I'll bet you any amount that I can hit a postage stamp - first shot out of the scabbard - at 100 yards. Ask my brother TimC of my shooting prowess, even if I have to beat my own drum. I shot 80% at Camp Perry in '86(?) with a stock gun (borrowed Police junk) and factory ammo on the 500 yard line, to qualify to become a Police Long Range Rifle Instructor. Here are more credentials. Me and good weapons go back many years!
DSC00208.JPG DSC00209.JPG TTC

TimC

Jul 24, 2008
Gold Country, Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Various
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone shoot as well as my brother terryc. I loaded some 222 rounds (5) which he shot in a semi-circle the size of a dime at 100 yds. There was a time while he was a cop that he was reloading thousands of rounds a month for his pistol competition. He was rated very close to the top as far as police competition goes. There is none better at the range. TimC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can honestly say that I have never seen anyone shoot as well as my brother terryc. I loaded some 222 rounds (5) which he shot in a semi-circle the size of a dime at 100 yds. There was a time while he was a cop that he was reloading thousands of rounds a month for his pistol competition. He was rated very close to the top as far as police competition goes. There is none better at the range. TimC
I guess I owe you a "like". There were better. I was only 14th in the state when I moved to NC in '91. (humble me!) TTC

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry,
I stuff my own brass and the AR10 is putting sub moa at 200 yards right now. I have a different scope for the 700
that I need mounted and a bridge floated on it. That will be my 1,000 yard gun.
Check out Manasota Gun and Archery Club. Google It, we are joining this weekend.
100 - 600 and 1,000 yards.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry,
I stuff my own brass and the AR10 is putting sub moa at 200 yards right now. I have a different scope for the 700
that I need mounted and a bridge floated on it. That will be my 1,000 yard gun.
Check out Manasota Gun and Archery Club. Google It, we are joining this weekend.
100 - 600 and 1,000 yards.
I had a REM in .223 that would consistently shoot groups at 100 that would fit under a dime. Are you using a bench or ground pad for the 600 or 1000? Back in my "shooting days", anything more than a ground pad was considered SISSYFIED by the guys! Back problems preclude lying prone anymore on a pad long enough to "git 'r done" on the longer berms.

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a REM in .223 that would consistently shoot groups at 100 that would fit under a dime. Are you using a bench or ground pad for the 600 or 1000? Back in my "shooting days", anything more than a ground pad was considered SISSYFIED by the guys! Back problems preclude lying prone anymore on a pad long enough to "git 'r done" on the longer berms.

The longest shooting down with that rifle so far was 300 yards. I used a bag, backpack actually, to shoot off from. I typically shoot
bench but have done some prone shooting with the bi-pod down. With the bag I don't use the bi-pod. I am pushing 44 grains of
VV N140 and 155 gr Ballistic Tip Nosler bullets. The primers are CCI Large Rifle Primers, CCI #200 I believe.

The rounds for my Remington 700 have the brass fitted to the rifle and then the bullet seated until it hits the lands and grooves
of the barrel. I have to keep them separate from the normal .308 I load for the AR as then do not function in a Semi-Automatic
that well. Just picked up 200 rounds of Norma brass and am in the process of annealing them for the remington. I will eventually
bump that bullet up to 180 grains from the 150 to give it some stability. At roughly 800-900 yards the bullet goes subsonic
and starts to wobble which may make 1,000 yards very unpredictable.

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, Follow up on Previous post.

Spent Sunday at the range mentioned above. First "Cold Bore" shot of the day with the AR and new scope was 100 yards. Ripped
the bullseye out of a 25' pistol target. Moved to 200 yards and plaster five rounds in the bullseye, tried to move to 300 but to much
water so went directly to 400 yards. Was able to get about five shots off and all on target, no bulls but all on paper then a mirage
developed in front of the target about 20 yards before it. Drove me nuts when my groups started going batshit crazy and I couldn't
figure out why. Then my training kicked in and I figured it out, by then it was time to go home.

I did try three shots at the 600 yard target and missed the gong by a rats hair on the third shot. All in all I am extremely happy
with this weapon. Can't wait to stuff some shells for this one but will use 180 grain instead of 155 ballistic tip bullets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread