Does anyone remember --

Buckeyedon

Jul 19, 2014
S.W. Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites 5000 DI, Bounty Hunter Big Bud, Garrett GMH CX111
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
C-rations ate them had to. The only thing I liked was the John Wayne Bar and peaches. Eggs & Ham I know but when that’s all ya got. Anyway No more C’s for me.

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Turkey Loaf , c rats were NASTY.
Once in Vietnam, a poor looking kid was on the side of the road with his hand stuck out, begging. I tossed him a can of Turkey Loaf from my ACAV. He picked it up, read the label, & " shot me the bird !":

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I used to trade stuff for the fruit cake! Lived on fruit cake and the nasty chocolate bars - which I didn't think were so bad. Otherwise, YEP = NASTY!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wasn't it the pound cake that was good? I still have my " John Wayne " and it still works great too. Probably the best working thing the U.S. Government ever purchased, lol.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1414713013.217344.jpg

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
Fruit cocktail, pears, Beanie - Weenies, jelly, peanut butter , was about all I ate. Thankfully, most days, we were resupplied & given a hot meal in the field !

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have to say I was lucky enough to have gotten in on the end of C rats when they were trying to push the last of 'em off and use them up, but believe me, the LRP's ( long range patrols ) weren't any better! The cheese and peanut butter were just as bad as the fruitcake, lol!

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, the pound cake, peaches, and fruit cake were the best things about those. They had so much of that stuff left over in the early 60's that had to be used up, that we were required to eat it once a week for a certain amount of time. Remember them well and Old Dude, I remember the openers too. Think I still have one hooked onto an old set of my keys somewhere too. The hash was really nasty too!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
In 1965 or so, at Ft. Lewis the cook in the 6/32 arty unit would give us SOS from rations. Based on comments here, I am guessing it was C-rations.

Not to shock your sensiblities, but I LIKE SOS! :D

Here in Mexico, I buy and use a lot of spam. I like it and it is a quick cook-up.

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1965 or so, at Ft. Lewis the cook in the 6/32 arty unit would give us SOS from rations. Based on comments here, I am guessing it was C-rations.

Not to shock your sensiblities, but I LIKE SOS! :D

Here in Mexico, I buy and use a lot of spam. I like it and it is a quick cook-up.

SOS and C-Rats are not the same. SOS is hamburger gravy over toast or Sh!@T on a shingle.

I love that stuff as well.

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The rumor was that if you added a canteen of water to the pound cake, it would turn into a full size cake! Very dry.
Most everything else was ok with lots of hot sauce. Always carried a bottle. Still have my John Wayne as well. Best can opener
the Govt ever made. The cheese spread was made for enjoyment. Throw into a fire and wait for it to explode!

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between the cheese and the jelly I stayed regular....:laughing7:

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
The reason I mentioned SOS was the cook at the time said he got them from rations. Based on your comment, that may not have been correct?

OP
OP
FreedomUIC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The reason I mentioned SOS was the cook at the time said he got them from rations. Based on your comment, that may not have been correct?

He was referring to #10 cans or rations for the field. C-Rations were cans of crapola.......... Size of fruit cans or tuna cans.

John Wayne Bars - yuummmmmmm.......

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Yup, I ate C-Rations for years when I was keeping watch over the Russians near the Fulda Gap! I think I tried to eat a different box of c-rats as often as possible. I do not recall any food that I loved. No, not even the fruitcake!

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just SMELLING ham&MF's would make me puke! The ham & eggs could only be eaten cold. I didn't smoke so I could always get a peanut butter and jam cans in trade. On Weds, I would go in to get my intel and give them mine. I would pick up 10 cases of Coke (24 can) at 2.40 a case (10 cents a can) and bring them back. Several Viets would carry them into the village from Highway one (Our team lived in the village). I sold the cases to the viets for 50 cents a can and they would take them up to highway one and sell them to the troops for one dollar a can! We all made out. I NEVER spent my own money! TTC

JrMack

Feb 16, 2014
steuben co. ny
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter, x-terra 305/505/705,discovery TF 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
had c-rats in camp bullis Tx, had spaghetti with meat balls a lot,heat em up on a rock in the sun, yum-yum good

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah.... C-rats where what got me into liking hot sauces! ANYTHING to cover up the taste of those nasty things! I now have a collection of different hot sauces that most people can't handle. Some are guaranteed to kill taste buds and curl your nose hair at the same time!

Still have several of the P-38 Lightning can openers too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread