Jane Fonda met with protest in Frederick; hopes for open dialogue with Vietnam Vets

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Jane Fonda met with protest in Frederick; hopes for open dialogue with Vietnam-era veterans - The Frederick News-Post : News Article

By Paige Jones [email protected]

Jane Fonda said she hoped for an open dialogue with veterans after about 50 former military members and supporters protested the actress’s appearance Friday evening at the Weinberg Center for the Arts.

“Whenever possible I try to sit down with vets and talk with them, because I understand and it makes me sad,” Fonda told a relatively full theater, responding to a submitted question. “It hurts me and it will to my grave that I made a huge, huge mistake that made a lot of people think I was against the soldiers.”

In 1972 Fonda visited Hanoi, North Vietnam, where she criticized attacks on the dike system along the Red River. A U.S. investigation later revealed the publicity of these bombings as propaganda. Fonda’s statements and a photograph of her sitting on a North Vietnamese anti-aircraft battery outraged many Americans and veterans, leading many to call her “Hanoi Jane” and a “traitor.”

Bob Hartman, an Army veteran who served in Vietnam in 1967 and 1968, said he blamed Fonda for breaking off negotiations among the countries and held her responsible for thousands of American lives.

“She encouraged North Vietnam to pull away from the negotiations table,” he said, holding a sign outside the Court Street parking garage to protest her presence. “She got Americans killed ... and she went to Vietnam to advance her husband’s career.”

About 50 veterans, many of whom served in Vietnam, held signs saying “Forgive? Maybe. Forget? Never” and waved flags outside the theater for about two hours, occasionally booing people entering the Weinberg Center, including state Sen. Ron Young.

“But those people out there ... I’m a lightning rod,” Fonda said. “This famous person goes and does something that looks like I’m against the troops, which wasn’t true, but it looked that way, and I’m a convenient target. So I understand.”

However, Fonda said she did not regret traveling to North Vietnam, saying her time there was “an incredible experience.”

“We feel what she did was so egregious ... (she) really cost lives,” said Mike McGowan, a Marine Corps veteran who served as an infantryman in Vietnam from 1968 to 1969.

Among the protesters was Frederick County Councilman Tony Chmelik, who said he decided to support the veterans in honor of his father, who served in the military.

“(We want to) let everybody know we haven’t forgotten,” said Tommy Grunwell, a Marine Corps veteran who served in Vietnam and helped organize the protest.

At least one person turned out to demonstrate in favor of Fonda, saying the actress’s work as an activist and founder of nonprofits helping women should also be recognized and represented.

“I feel like you can’t vilify Jane Fonda but not vilify our government,” said Gabrielle Hash, who stood among veterans holding a handmade poster in support of Fonda.

During her hourlong talk, Fonda discussed the importance of adolescence in shaping women’s and men’s lives, and how she regained her courage and spunk in the “third act” of her life upon turning 60.

“My voice went underground, and it took me a long, long time to get it back,” she said.

Through working with adolescents at the nonprofits she founded, Fonda said she discovered that most girls are “whole” before approaching puberty; they know what they want and are not afraid to voice it. But upon entering adolescence, this voice fades as girls are pressured to fit in and mold themselves to society’s ideals of a thin, popular woman.

“Her voice doesn’t disappear, but it goes underground,” Fonda said, describing how this plagued her through three marriages.

But for boys, many are led to believe they need to act strong and fearless from the time they enter the formal school system at age 6, according to Fonda.

“They become emotionally illiterate,” she said, adding that some of these boys later become violent when their masculinity is threatened in any way.

In describing her own struggles with age, marriage and respect, Fonda urged audience members to seek forgiveness and happiness through small changes like daily meditation or walks outside for a longer and more fulfilled life.

“If ... we can manage to think positively ... we can actually alter the pathways in our brains,” she said. “I’ve experienced it, so I know it’s true. It takes work, it takes intention. But man, is it worth it.”

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Perhaps after all these years, she is sorry and needs to be forgiven. But I understand the guys who were over there being blown to bits whiile she was hobknobbing with Hanoi. My buddy who made many jumps into Nam told me that she was a 'target of opportunity' among the troops. He explained that meant if you had a clear shot - you would take it. That surprised me but that's how high the emotions ran on what she did during a war that cost us many lives. I don't think the guys who fought in Nam will ever really forgive her.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tell her she should go to THE WALL and ask forgiveness from 52,480 souls that she helped bury. One by one. She gets none from me. TTC

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I was a war protester, but their were limits. I loved the Fonda poster;
Jane Fonda
Commie-Traitor-*****
Ah, the good old days...

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't she visit a POW camp, and when a prisoner slipped her a list of the US Soldiers in the camp, she turned it in to the camp commandant?

I saw it in a movie, but I'm sure it was based on a true story.

My Uncle is a Viet Nam Vet, and he has nothing good to say a bout her.

rick67

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2014
Smithtown NY
Detector(s) used
XP, Whites, Garrett,
Lesche, T-Rex, RTG.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Always Protect Your Brothers! Be it then or now. She was, is, and always will be a traitor.
"NEVER FORGET!"

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
She will always be reflected by a poster I have in my garage: Boycott Jane Fonder American Traitor *****. She was a traitor for her actions and will always be a traitor as far as I am concerned.

TheRingFinder

Bronze Member
May 22, 2013
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab - E-Trac / Excalibur
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Human garbage - she should just slither away...........

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Didn't she visit a POW camp, and when a prisoner slipped her a list of the US Soldiers in the camp, she turned it in to the camp commandant?
metal_detector.gif
Not true. The traitor didn't have to do that. The traitor only met with 7 POWs and they all have denied anything was ever "slipped" to her. She already knew who they were as did our government. Would she have passed along any paper given to her? IMHO - absolutely. She was a traitor then and still is a traitor now - period!

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shoulda left her ass with the vc.
It'd be like Angelina Jolei or Killary, taking pics with ISIS, today(for those too young to remember/know).

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
She is more of a traitor than Burgdahl. TTC

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She is more of a traitor than Burgdahl. TTC

Terry, I knew when you seen this thread that you were going to say something along those lines.
I swear somewhere in the family tree we must be related.

:occasion14:

Greatday05

Mar 20, 2014
Pittsfield, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Coiltech 15", Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She can go die. There is nothing more evil than to put down an 18 year old kid just out of school drafted that is sent somewhere to be shot at. These service men and women are heroes! And thanks to them we can write things in forums as we are.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There isn't a single one of our boys or gals that wanted to lay their life on the line, they did it for us, for our freedom, our way of life. It is their blood that taints foreign soil red, my brothers, your brothers, because that is all we have, each other.

I refuse to even speak her name, for it would taint my honor, my dignity, and my brothers who rest in peace!

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lets see her go over there and try to smooze with ISIS,
would love to see her in a orange jumpsuit kneeling in front of a video camera.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry, I knew when you seen this thread that you were going to say something along those lines.
I swear somewhere in the family tree we must be related.

:occasion14:
Yes, we are related.... brothers(and sisters)-in-arms. Never forget that, my friend! Terry

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lets see her go over there and try to smooze with ISIS,
would love to see her in a orange jumpsuit kneeling in front of a video camera.
No, I would not like to see her in an orange jumpsuit.... or anyone else, for that matter. Even my enemies would get more respect from me than what those idiots are doing. I propose the U.S. simply drop THE BOMB on the ISIS group. How many countries/cities would let them in if they KNEW the bomb was a certainty? TTC

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was not in Nam because I was 10 years too young, but I did serve in the USAF and I am an American. Any time I hear her name mentioned I let the people know she is a traitor and should never ever get any accolades from ANY American. She was as much responsible for the deaths of our heroes as the enemy that pulled the trigger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread