Looking for way to investigate my deceased cousins Green Beret Vietnam service.

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Garrett AT Gold...............
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT - AKA The Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all I would like to thank our U.S. veterans for doing what they could to preserve our freedom.

I remember the news that my oldest cousin, Ross Lynn Davis was made a Green Beret. I really did not yet know what that meant, but the picture of him in a dress uniform wearing the beret on my granddads mantle made me proud. I seems that almost immediately Barry Sadlers Ballad of The Green Beret came out, soon to be followed by John Wayne's movie The Green Berets. I was 9 or 10 at this time and was extremely proud of Ross.

There was little news of Ross for two or three years that I was aware of until the summer of 1970 Ross came driving up to my mothers house in the Houston Heights driving a brand new green MG sports car he picked up in England on his way home. I also remember he brought home a bunch of Sansui stereo equipment including a Reel to Reel tape recorder. As a child I was an avid reader of military tales, so even though I was only almost 13 years old, I asked Ross what it was like in Vietnam. This conversation has always stuck with me because at the time he gave me information that the general public did not have. Ross said he was hardly in Vietnam and that no one knows it because they were not supposed to be there, but most of his time was spent in Laos and Cambodia. It seems like it was a few years after that before it was acknowledged our forces were in Laos and Cambodia.

Ross went to work at a petrochemical plant, and I only saw him infrequently. At some time in the next few years I remember Ross describing intelligence training he had received, detailing to me how to open and read a letter without breaking the seal.

Ross never described the horrors of war to me, and sadly he committed suicide in 1977. I had moved to Austin, but happened to be in town to visit my mother when the Harris County Coroner call my moms house looking for her. She was at work, so I identified the body.

I have always figured it was related to Post Traumatic Stress.

What I am trying to do is honor the sacrifice that Ross made for me by better understanding his service.

What I know - Ross Lynn Davis from Houston Texas, but likely born elsewhere since my Uncle was in the Navy.

Ross L. Davis
SP5 US ARMY Vietnam is listed on his gravestone at the Houston National Cemetery.
Ross.jpg

What I suspect, and of course I could be totally wrong is that he was part of MACV SOG.
I believe the timing of his homecoming may have been tied to the scandalized killing of a suspected double agent that led to at least a partial shutdown of MACV SOG operations in 1970.

It really does not matter if he was behind a desk or in the field. I would like to honor his sacrifice by being the only one in the family to look for this history before its gone.

If you could point me to a good way to do this , I would appreciate it, and thank you for your service.

ibjeepn

May 27, 2012
Butler, Pa
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic Whites Classic II
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might be able to access them through the national archives

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would have to be next of kin, see details to order the info.

Start Your Military Service Record (DD Form 214) Request

Thank you CaptEstaban,
That is what I have discovered while trying to investigate ibjeepn's suggestion.
Both of my cousins parents and two of his three brothers have passed away.
Speaking to the surviving cousin, who is a navy veteran has been on my mind for awhile.
perhaps I can get him to do it.

Thank you both for your help, and if anyone thinks of some other resources, I would be happy to give them a shot.

Thanks to all for their service.

Seadog72

Mar 29, 2014
Stewart County, TN
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Other
TheInspector,

Are you having any luck?

If not, you could contact JFKSWCS at Fort Bragg, NC. They have been keeping pretty good records since the 50's of students in the pipeline. If you're not seeing results through the VA, send me a private message and I'll put you in touch with SWCS. They also have an SF museum at Bragg where research can be done.

Wish you the best in your research.

v/r - Seadog

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go to any large VA Medical facility. They will have a form to fill out for the info. They will be more than happy to assist you. TTC

OP
OP
TheInspector

TheInspector

Jul 22, 2012
Houston Texas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark.......
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First of all I would like to thank our U.S. veterans for doing what they could to preserve our freedom.

I remember the news that my oldest cousin, Ross Lynn Davis was made a Green Beret. I really did not yet know what that meant, but the picture of him in a dress uniform wearing the beret on my granddads mantle made me proud. I seems that almost immediately Barry Sadlers Ballad of The Green Beret came out, soon to be followed by John Wayne's movie The Green Berets. I was 9 or 10 at this time and was extremely proud of Ross.

There was little news of Ross for two or three years that I was aware of until the summer of 1970 Ross came driving up to my mothers house in the Houston Heights driving a brand new green MG sports car he picked up in England on his way home. I also remember he brought home a bunch of Sansui stereo equipment including a Reel to Reel tape recorder. As a child I was an avid reader of military tales, so even though I was only almost 13 years old, I asked Ross what it was like in Vietnam. This conversation has always stuck with me because at the time he gave me information that the general public did not have. Ross said he was hardly in Vietnam and that no one knows it because they were not supposed to be there, but most of his time was spent in Laos and Cambodia. It seems like it was a few years after that before it was acknowledged our forces were in Laos and Cambodia.

Ross went to work at a petrochemical plant, and I only saw him infrequently. At some time in the next few years I remember Ross describing intelligence training he had received, detailing to me how to open and read a letter without breaking the seal.

Ross never described the horrors of war to me, and sadly he committed suicide in 1977. I had moved to Austin, but happened to be in town to visit my mother when the Harris County Coroner call my moms house looking for her. She was at work, so I identified the body.

I have always figured it was related to Post Traumatic Stress.

What I am trying to do is honor the sacrifice that Ross made for me by better understanding his service.

What I know - Ross Lynn Davis from Houston Texas, but likely born elsewhere since my Uncle was in the Navy.

Ross L. Davis
SP5 US ARMY Vietnam is listed on his gravestone at the Houston National Cemetery.
View attachment 1118763

What I suspect, and of course I could be totally wrong is that he was part of MACV SOG.
I believe the timing of his homecoming may have been tied to the scandalized killing of a suspected double agent that led to at least a partial shutdown of MACV SOG operations in 1970.

It really does not matter if he was behind a desk or in the field. I would like to honor his sacrifice by being the only one in the family to look for this history before its gone.

If you could point me to a good way to do this , I would appreciate it, and thank you for your service.
After all these years, I just found my proof.
My cousin Ross L. Davis SP5 is listed as a member of MACV SOG.
These were the most secretive warriors of the Vietnam war who operated in Laos and Cambodia, in addition to Vietnam.
1711768709410.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread