VA prescription co-pay hiked - at least on my end.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
My prescription co-pay was $8.00 per script.

Just received bill for the same meds, now it is $24.00 per script.....

FYI

I always get these update info letters from VA FMP; I saw something about Co-Pay some time ago, not sure exactly when though. Basically it said that Vets in Europe would not be affected by this because of how cheap meds in the EU are.

I have a combined 100% rating but the first thing I thought was how am I or any other vet here different from the ones who this will affect. Why would congress actually put a fooking price on how much money can be spent on meds, as service members we offered the full price of our lives up in full for the wars when we raised our rights hands. Here you go Sir, if I can be of service. So they are willing to accept our sacrifices, often even say in our honor we paid the full price when we our lives are lost.

Now they want to stick folks for 20-30 bucks; WTF, that is far cheaper than winning the SGLI Lottery, they should eat those figures every time they utter the words Freedom.

Sorry for your pain; I see things like this and wonder when will the day come when congress says we are no longer needing compensation at all. I know a few vets living in Europe, some who did not earn a Long Tab but still have very bad service related medical conditions and they get very little service. The VA contracts out to local doctors in Europe, many have their own political views about the US and will state that nothing is wrong with the veteran.

There is an American in Jail right now in France who was medically discharged from the Marines for PTSD. He did his out processing and moved back to the EU to be with his family. He filed a claim with the VA for PTSD, went in to see the Contracted piece of crap VA stuck his livelihood in and that doctor said that he never had any form of PTSD and feels the vet is attempting to be falsely compensated.

The vet got word of this after waiting for 5 years for the VA to process his claim, he went back to that doctor and the doctor had a very bad day. French authorities arrested him, and charged him; while in holding the vet took down a few convicts, sad that he was nothing like them. Sparked an interest in those ran the place and they sent him in for Mental Health review. Those doctors said that this man needs treatment and meds.

He of course must remain in a French crazy house for now but has been fighting his VA from there. First VA claimed that since he is in jail he can not get VA Benefits; Naturally that did not hold up under appeal since it is not a US Jail. Took some doing but things are looking up for him, mainly with the pressure France has put on the US about the case but it looks like that the VA will come through based on when he filed the very first time. He still has to serve out his time in the crazy house of course but he gets proper treatment and meds while in.

Point is, if you where not SF or a Tier One asset and you live overseas then the VA goes out of their way to screw you over very hard. Overseas claims still take just over 5 years; the VA does what they can to appease the vast majority of the vets back home because that is all congress ever cares about, claims processing and medical needs; that is just some US PC crap in the States; overseas they do not care at all.

From the sounds of it the VA is still asking some of us to Pay a Price even after our service is over. Sorry to hear about yours.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, our liberal government at work. Thank you for your service, now bend over...

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Mine is $18.

I've received nothing but the best of care from the VA.

If I was paying for my basic care/treatment outside in a civilian facility- I'd be filing for bankruptcy. And that's just for the routine prostate probing and camera footage.

See what the co-pay would be with a civilian/affordable care act policy...

The only thing I pay for is a few pills now and then.

I'm very lucky.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
All is well, and I'm grateful for it. Yep, I'll pay the co-pay any time and not sweat it - will still appreciate it.

But, I do find the change very significant. We'll see on my next meds....

A whole lot of what we see in prescription pricing is the gouging by the pharmacies too. I had to have some dental work a couple weeks ago. Mom had turned me on to an honest local pharmacy. Was prescribed two meds - amoxicillin & hydrocodon - both scripts together under $25....... So my VA co-pay would be double the cost at the local pharmacy if I had them prescribed from there.

I find that pretty interesting in comparison.

Last edited:

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
Prilosec is cheaper at Walgreens.

It's all about shopping around sometimes-

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep,

I could be wrong but I think if you check, you'll find that your co pay may not have changed and it's just that now they're sending you a three month (90 day) supply at one time instead of one month at a time. That would account for your increase from 8 dollars to 24 dollars. Your co pay is the same and it's just that you are paying for three months at a time now. That's what they did to me too and they're now sending 90 days worth on ALL my VA prescriptions.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep,

I could be wrong but I think if you check, you'll find that your co pay may not have changed and it's just that now they're sending you a three month (90 day) supply at one time instead of one month at a time. That would account for your increase from 8 dollars to 24 dollars. Your co pay is the same and it's just that you are paying for three months at a time now. That's what they did to me too and they're now sending 90 days worth on ALL my VA prescriptions.
This is what is taking place on my end also. Three month supply at a time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread