One less WWII vet tonight

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just lost my father at 91. Served 41.5 years, and retired as a major. In WWII, he served as a radar navigator on the B24 and was scheduled to go to Saipan just as the bomb got dropped. He was a senior aviator and flew both fixed wing and helicopters. His proudest moment was pinning my aircrewmember wings at Ft. Rucker. I got to work on the same aircraft that my father flew.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
He lived a long life. My prayers are with you and your family.

Oshkosh is an amazing aviation town! Have always wanted to visit one of the EAA Fly-Ins at Oshkosh, but never made the trip.

Two salutes to you sirs; one to your father, and the 2nd to you.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So sorry to hear this. Sounds like you were both proud of each other, and well you should be.
God Bless you both.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Sadly the greatest generation is passing from us now. I'm sorry for your loss.

The Southeast Asia generation is passing away now too - but we were never seen as a great generation. Except by family, we won't be missed.

OP
OP
Capt Nemo

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And for you Marines out there, my father also did all the industrial time studies for the Rockwell axles on the LAV.

Vietnam Vets were some of the best men we had in my Guard unit.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Growing up, I remember stories of how my Grandfather (Dad's dad) worked on many of the bridges and hi-rise buildings in Houston. He was so very proud of having been a part of that, and we ALL thought that his accomplishments would stand for well over 100 years!

Sadly, not one of the structures he worked on is still standing. Buildings get razed all the time, with no regard for those who gave blood, sweat and tears to build them. Their monuments are gone.

I think this is a lot of why we (society) don't remember as well as we should. I've always believed that we had an EXTREME wealth of knowledge in the older generations - people who have seen more; experienced more; have a better understanding of how things "should" be. ...Well, that's debatable I guess. In "my" opinion that's how it should be. But I guess the exploding population combined with the explosion of technology helps to mask the older generations, as well as thee vast wealth of knowledge and wisdom that they hold.

Dad's dad fought in WWI. Don't think he was a part of WWII. Dad served during Korean War. I served during peacetime. ...Hopefully one day there will be no more war. If that time ever comes, it will either be WONDERFUL, or it will be a fully oppressed society controlled in its entirety by only a few.

Sorry, started going a bit into never-never land. :tongue3:

I know this post isn't directed specifically to the persons mentioned in the OP, but it IS directed at ALL former military, as well as the rest of our aging society. ...A tribute to our lost generations.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Capt. Nemo,
I salute you and in memory of your father.
"kcm", during Nam, I served 6 years in the OR at March AFB hospital assisting with triage of those injuries in Nam--and the locals when the C-119s were not transporting in the injured. Today, that hospital is gone, the land given to the community for the building of a community project.
As I frequently pass by there in current times, I recall the blood sweat and tears experience by many at that time--now just a fading memory or blocked from memory by others. I want to believe that at least some of the lessons we learned then have been accepted by the more current generations.
Don.....

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; May God Bless You Both & Yours. Now he has a different set of Wings. Thanks for both your Services. PEACE:RONB :icon_salut::leprechaun-hat:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
My prayers are with you and your family. Your Dad is now with his former crew members talking about old times and watching over you and your family. God Bless.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread