gun trucks on tv

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dunno if you knew or not but it's a series with the current episodes being at least the 2nd season (which just began). The host is a little hard to take sometimes but I give him a thumbs up for his enthusiasm. If I have one single complaint it's the use of the stupid cartoons to illustrate stuff. Either do some better graphics or stop using them entirely. It is indeed an enjoyable show to watch IMHO.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember them well. Innovation, the mother on invention. Try and describe them today, and you might get a look as though, "Are you serious?" They did that?

junkhunt

Feb 21, 2017
North Central Arkansas
Detector(s) used
white's eagle spectrum , White's Spectra V3i, Garrett AT Pro. Garrett AT Pen pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did the real thing, I was in a Gun Truck while in Vietnam.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember they most often had names and pictures painted on the sides, much like the bombers of WWII, the only two I can remember around the Da Nang area in 71 was "Granny's Gang", and "The Cong Stomper".

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There was no greater comfort traveling between An Khe and Nha Trang through the mountains with the roads guarded by South Korean's on a deuce and a half mounting quad-fifties :)

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
002.JPG
Heres one, with a 50 and a 60... At Phan Rang ,Vietnam 1969 :)

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
M-55 Quad 50

evans4.jpg
Near LZ Betty, 1968

Known as the 'Whispering Death' - each M-55 Quad 50 consisted of four Browning M2 .50-caliber machine guns mounted in a power turret on a deuce and a half (2 1/2) or 5 ton truck. With an effective rate of fire of 1,000 to 1,500 rounds per minute, the Quad in action "could literally sick the life out of a hillside at ranges up to half a mile".

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
019.JPG
Heres a 'gun truck' with wings :) Compliments of the 14th S.O.W . (with (4) 7.62 mini-guns .(1) 20 mm cannon & (1) 40 mm cannon) .Max total rate of fire = 36,000 rds. per minute.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Because of long delays for my security clearance, I was about a year behind my language school classmates. When I arrived "in country" no one really knew what to do with me. Tet of 1970 changed that and I was no longer living in a base camp barracks. So, I carried an M-14 on my first "outings". The fellows I dropped in on thought I was a sniper - carrying that M-14. Several LZ's later I carried an M-16. LZ Spearhead in Cambodia was the last field assignment for me. The 4th Infantry was pulling out, and as I had a longer "commitment", I was sent to Nha Trang for my final 6 months - a resort city :)

I really did enjoy that then!!! I had an apartment downtown Nha Trang, at the base they really didn't know what to do with me - so I skated along until ETS straight from Vietnam to Greensboro, NC, fresh off the plane and I was one rancid dude. Took me about 3 years then to get career minded.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because of long delays for my security clearance, I was about a year behind my language school classmates. When I arrived "in country" no one really knew what to do with me. Tet of 1970 changed that and I was no longer living in a base camp barracks. So, I carried an M-14 on my first "outings". The fellows I dropped in on thought I was a sniper - carrying that M-14. Several LZ's later I carried an M-16. LZ Spearhead in Cambodia was the last field assignment for me. The 4th Infantry was pulling out, and as I had a longer "commitment", I was sent to Nha Trang for my final 6 months - a resort city :)

I really did enjoy that then!!! I had an apartment downtown Nha Trang, at the base they really didn't know what to do with me - so I skated along until ETS straight from Vietnam to Greensboro, NC, fresh off the plane and I was one rancid dude. Took me about 3 years then to get career minded.

016.JPG
Then you'll like this shot of downtown Nha Trang Sept.1969

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1635198
Then you'll like this shot of downtown Nha Trang Sept.1969

Good gracious! My memory is corrupted. I'd grown to where I'd cared about nothing.

Honestly, after the 4th Infantry, I'd become hooked on heroin. The first time I've mentioned that here. It was everywhere at about $2 a gram and that gram was a lot. And that period of addiction was both the greatest I'd ever felt about myself, and then over to the other side.

I was ETS'd suddenly, had month's to go on my 2nd tour, and my grandfather passed away. I really wasn't looking to go home, but then on the spot I chose home. The very last time I did heroin was on the field awaiting my plane out.

I understand heroin addiction. Been there done that, but coming home was clean and 47 years later I've still never seen that white powder since.

That old song - "Nobody knows the trouble I've seen, nobody knows my sorrow".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions