OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was 0341, 81 mortars. I only spent 3 mos. in Vietnam on the mortars. While in the 26th Marines (those three months) I always went on patrol as an FO. I was pretty good with map and compass. I never humped a round or stuffed a tube except in training, before 'Nam. ╦╦Ç

EDIT: I mean only 3 mos. on mortars..... 19 1/2 mos. in country

Last edited:

Capt. Gary

Sep 6, 2015
Detector(s) used
ExCalibur II 800 and MineLab XTerra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a CAP but you might have recieved some support from me. I was an F4 pilot in 'Nam with 213 missions, 150 of which were close air support for our troops. Don, I recently did a study on age of death of 'Nam vets from the Taps section of the VVA mag and came up with 66. I was wrong, a real study came out shortly after. The average age of death of us 'Nam vets is 66.2 ha. I'm 76 so have ten years gravy and going to make the most of my last years.

Also Ken Burns has a ten episode series coming out and the first episode is tonight at 8E on PBS. I will be recording the series on my DVR, should be an outstanding series. Semper Fi-Gary

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Capt.Gary, Welcome to Treasurenet !
One post in two years?? Jump in, the water is warm !
I take your 66.2 average age of death as a 'positive'.
As long as there are 'Nam vets alive, that average will continue to rise.
Don (USAF '63-'69)

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a CAP but you might have recieved some support from me. I was an F4 pilot in 'Nam with 213 missions, 150 of which were close air support for our troops. Don, I recently did a study on age of death of 'Nam vets from the Taps section of the VVA mag and came up with 66. I was wrong, a real study came out shortly after. The average age of death of us 'Nam vets is 66.2 ha. I'm 76 so have ten years gravy and going to make the most of my last years.

Also Ken Burns has a ten episode series coming out and the first episode is tonight at 8E on PBS. I will be recording the series on my DVR, should be an outstanding series. Semper Fi-Gary
Welcome, Gary. You and you guys have saved my ass several times. I have no doubt that I am alive today because of air and artillery support provided by you guys. THANKS! Indeed, every DAY since Vietnam has been a gift from God for me. My most profound thank you for your service. On a lighter note, I have set up to record the series and will watch..... if I can get past PBS's liberal slant. Take care, my friend, and DO post more often. Terry

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The entire 10 episode series is already available for purchase. I bought it and will be delivered Tues. ╦╦Ç

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a Vietnam vet myself but a Marine vet and also a 0341 81 mortar FO.Joined in March 1971 and out in 1975.As to the CAP Marines a friend here in Dumas,AR was a CAP Marine,not sure about the date but probably in 68 or 69.His name is Kenneth Smallwood.Don,t know his CAP unit.Thought you might like to know that.Jim.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not a Vietnam vet myself but a Marine vet and also a 0341 81 mortar FO.Joined in March 1971 and out in 1975.As to the CAP Marines a friend here in Dumas,AR was a CAP Marine,not sure about the date but probably in 68 or 69.His name is Kenneth Smallwood.Don,t know his CAP unit.Thought you might like to know that.Jim.
Tnx for the response, Jim. The CAP program was widespread in I Corps. Most of my CAP time was around Tam Ky. Tnx agn. ╦╦C

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy to see this thread came back to life!

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Semper Fi, Brother!

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
374th RRC (Radio Research Company...... Had some pals over there.... ASA... Though I was in Korea DMZ and Japan during that time 33C...... Used to run MARS and Pac nets.. 374th was "Finder". The Net Call was "Finder Finder this is AB1MF. Always Been 1 Military Farmer" ....... grin.... I think Ray was the CHOP there in 1968 69 .. I can't remember what I ate for lunch but remember stuff over 50 years ago!!!

My brother in law was a 11B at AnKhe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread