Fort Pickett, Virginia.

P.ALLEN

Jun 8, 2017
A2 Michigan
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre, Ace 250, CMS magnetics, Garrett pinpointer, Fiskars trenching spade.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunno if any of ya'll were ever posted there or not. I spent a year there doing archaeological excavations before I joined the service. Now that I'm out I would love to go back. It had a major Civil War hospital there, a German POW camp, and was a major throughway between Fort Lee and Appomattox Courthouse, also Richmond as well. Great place to go see, we saw large cat prints, bear tracks, water mocs, and very large snapping turtles there. Worth the visit. MP's on post told us one night they were doing routine patrol around post and saw a cat with its jaws clamped on a deer's neck dragging it through the yard. They BRAC'd it in the 90's and it went to the Guard.

66Seabee

Greenie
Nov 16, 2017
Woodland Park, Colorado
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox 800, AT Max, AT Pro, MXT, GMT, Goldmaster 4, Garrett Sea Hunter, Go Find 60.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did a week long survival course there in 1966 just before heading to VietNam. Is it still an active post?

ArthurC

Mar 19, 2013
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites M6

Garret Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went there and used the tank range m60a1s a couple months before desert shield desert storm, that was 1990. We stayed in WW2 barracks, twostiry butthe upstairs were unsafe so only the bottom was used. You could see the outside thru the wall, no insulation or boards on the inside walls and no insulation. We stayed in them during july and it was miserable at night trying to sleep. I believe the head was a seperate building but can’t remember.

I would love to metal detect that place. Semper Fi Devil Dogs

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pat, thanks for sharing that info.

WVPapaw

Feb 22, 2013
Hills of WV
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, pro pointer, and two dowsing rods.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had 2 week national guard summer camp duty there a half dozen times in the 80s and 90s. Being infantry, we spent most of our time in the field. I never saw so many blood sucking bugs in my life.Ticks and chiggers ate us alive.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Thanks for the imfo. I've never been there but trained at Camp Shelby, Hattiesburg Ms. No cats except Bobcats but Plenty of The world's largest Rattlers

MetalArchSC

Feb 14, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those barracks sound very similar to the one in at Fort Polk, LA.
Was a Circa WW2 barracks used as reception station.
I chose a top bunk in that dusty old place the day I got there. Woke up to a weird sound in the room... stretched over to hit the light switch near the door.... “ WTF” , I yelled. The entire floor was covered with a carpet of HUGE cockroach looking bugs. Reached for my ruck and boots on the bottom bunk.. jumped down and high stepped out of there to another room wayyy at the other end. No sleep for two nights while I waited for my assigned barracks. Hated my time at that place. They called it little Vietnam. But that was long ago and last I heard, it’s like a city there now.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread