Not Me

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I suppose I made an old high school classmate (class of '60) mad a couple days ago, and will probably make some angry here.

He posted on Facebook that all vets should get free medical care for their entire life. I disagreed. Yes, those who were wounded in combat should get free care for life, at least I think so. We can't possibly do enough for the sacrifice they made.

And, perhaps for those who saw combat but did not get wounded. I can't say for sure. So, I have no opinion on them getting it.

But, not me. While so many were in the Bush in VN, and getting wounded and killed and such stuff, I was lounging around the squad room at the Crash Rescue facility at Gray Air Base at Fort Lewis. I don't deserve free medical care for life, nor do I need it.

Use the money that could be spent on vets like me, and give better care for those who were wounded. They deserve it and they usually need it. Especially those who were badly wounded.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What about those with mental wounds? :skullflag:

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Sorry, Terry; I did not notice your posting until now.

Absolutely those with mental wounds should be treated as long as they need it, on the same basis as physical wounds, if it is a result of military duty.

But, I want to tell y'all something, something serious. Have you heard of acupuncture? A new system of treating things like PTSD has been found, by accident. They do physical tapping, no needles used. And, it turns out to be scientific, not hocus pocus.

A man named Gary Craig developed it after he was shown. He calls it EFT. Around 1997, he took a small crew into a vets hospital, and there were men there from VN yet, with PTSD. They sent the first ones home within a week. After more than 20 years in the hospital.

One man reported that he had been talking to a vet, showed him how EFT worked, who was sleeping under a bridge. One day, he never showed up and it took a while to find another vet, who reported, "He said he was going home to get a job."

I know what you are thinking. Sounds like space cadet stuff. But, it does work, not 100%, but often. I could write more, but won't bother unless someone asks. Too much work if no one is interested.

I haven't used it for PTSD. But, a couple people in my mountain village in rural Mexico have benefited. One was a pastor's wife who had terrible insomnia, did not sleep more than 3 hours a night, and that can dramatically shorten your life. The first night after I showed her how to do it, she was still asleep at 10 am the next day.

Google: Gary Craig EFT

Do not get involved with Optimal EFT, that is a bit too much at this time. Just the Gold Standard Eft.

There is no need to spend a cent. His training materials are free, on-line. There is an optional book for vet PTSD, no, I think videos, costing around $160, but this is not needed. Here in Mexico, I don't know any vets, not to mention with PTSD. If I did, I would sure buy the videos, but for the most part I have no use for it.

We are losing, what? Six a day from suicide. It is urgent to get as many vets exposed to EFT as possible. It makes me sick to think of those poor men suffering like that, when a possible solution is known.

Another anecdote, a little girl I know one night was totally hysterical because a night bug got on her clothes. She was definitely bug phobic. I did a version of this thing, and she eventually calmed down. Two weeks later, her mom said they caught her playing with a tarantula, poking it with a stick.

Let me make it clear I have no financial interest in EFT. I do care about our vets. I urge you not to send anyone a penny, use the manuals on line. If you ever want advanced knowledge, such as certification as a practitioner, yes, it is there. But, you can use it for free.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
piegrande,

Your opinion doesn't make me angry but I disagree with it completely. I'm thankful that you don't need completely free medical due to your circumstances but there are quite a number of other vets out there who are not in your particular financial situation and would welcome the free medical. IF ALL medical treatment was free to any vet, you'd still be able to refuse it if you wanted to, but the men and women who need it would sure be helped financially. I really don't care where you spent your time in service, or what service you were in. You SERVED and that's a whole bunch more than most ever did, or will do. I assume you're making the statement you made probably without knowing much, or anything, about the VA's co-pay system they charge us vets. Basically, if a vet of any age makes no more than starvation wages, or an older vet like me just makes just social security, his/her VA health care and meds are completely free. However, if that vet makes above about $18,000.00 a year, their co-pay kicks in. Oh and that means if the vet is married and his/her spouse makes any income, that additional income from the spouse then gets considered in the total income the vet is considered as having each year too. Each year the vet must fill out the MEANS TEST that is purely a financial report so the VA can reevaluate, and usually raise, the vets financial situation too. Of course, as you said, Purple Heart recipients are excluded from having to file this report as they never have any co-pays. Some of us who were not wounded would sure like to see ALL medical services be free to all vets, especially as we get older and medical treatment and meds increase due to age.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that every vet who was honorably discharged should get lifetime medical care. They signed their names on the dotted line of a blank check up to and including their life to protect and defend our country. Vets health should come before any other social program.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I have lifetime medical from the VA, but sometimes I do have to pay a $50 co-pay - not always.

I saw combat but was never wounded. I have never pursued Agent Orange disabilities but have been considering it lately - they sprayed it all over us, like a mist. Now, I just had my 3rd, 4th, and 5th Basal Cell Carcinoma removed two weeks ago, along with several other AO related issues. I'm kinda stuck on Go in applying for the benefits, just don't know yet. Been thinking about joining the American Legion or the VFW for counseling on that. I didn't even know I was covered by the VA for medical until my new barber told me about it, and I visited an American Legion, chatted with them, and a counselor filed for me and was immediately approved.

I certainly don't condone abuse of the system by every single veteran, but there's a whole lot of us still alive because we do have the coverage. I might not be here without the coverage myself.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
>>I don't deserve free medical care for life, nor do I need it.

My statement above.

I cannot disagree with the different opinions stated here. But, I did very clearly state that I, myself, do not need it and do not deserve it. I don't even use our government insurance, Medicare? very much. I am 75, and simply do my own doctoring in most cases. I think maybe one event since I became covered at what? Age 65.

And, it is also true that every dollar I don't use or need is another dollar for someone who does need it, whether combat vet or not.

This is one of those cases of agree to disagree. If you NEED it, use it, no matter your service circumstances.

Let me add a note here. I live in Mexico. Neither Medicare nor veterans benefits work here. I am on low carb, and use diet to control most of my issues, at virtually zero additional cost. Yes, I have had some serious issues, including SIBO. Leaky gut; and an autoimmune problem,, all related. I do not need a doctor's advice, and in most cases doctors know little about these problems.

Not everyone can do what I do. I worked as a diagnostician in a large electronics factory for over 30 years, and the principles of diagnostics are the same for all fields. I finally got medical books and with experience, in most cases solve my own problems. I do not need vets benefits and in my opinion do not deserve them. I respect those whose opinions or circumstances are different.

Edited--the illnesses I have were in fact caused by a stupid doctor, one of the few times I went to one. I had an infected toenail, and he did surgery, cutting it like a saw. The next year I had infection after infection and use of antibiotics is one known cause for all these issues. So, it was going to a doctor that made me deathly sick. No, thanks. Not unless I must.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Correction. I have had two events. Just this summer, I had real bad sun spots on my head. I was recommended a dermatologist a couple hours away, here in Mexico. She affirmed several were dangerous. Three trips, total cost around $200 and my entire head is clear. With a possible $50 co-pay, vets would have cost about the same. That is not a reason to live in Mexico, of course. But, it does explain why I don't need vets care. Each person must make his own decisions based on his own circumstances.

I felt bad after my service, because so many had horrible experiences in VN, and I lounged around. So, anything I can do to help them, including not using vets health benefits is fine with me.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't lingered & posted here over the last week. Life happens and we get our butts kicked here and there

I'm normally on here with multiple posts each day, but have drawn myself back over the last several weeks. I'd already had 3 of the major symptoms of Agent Orange, and now I'm realizing I have something akin to Parkinson's - I can't hold a steady hand = I have the shakes. It's beginning to get to me, the "shakes". It is time for me to address that. They are getting a lot worse now. They sprayed that crap all over me, and I have 4 of the credited symptoms and issues.

There is zero reason to ignore the benefits given to us. Not looking for money, looking only towards the quality of my life now in my future. The reality of life sometimes stymies discourse with others. I thank our Father in Heaven that I have the health benefits given to me. I would not still be walking this Earth otherwise.

So, don't criticize anyone legally accepting the benefits we earned through our service.

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Im not a Vietnam Vet, Im an Iraq Vet. I think if they are going to give us any benefits, TAKE THEM!! We signed up for our country knowing damn well what could possibly happen. I believe all our Veterans should be taken care of by this great country. We signed up and literally put our asses on the line, its the least they can do for us.

DeepseekerADS, hang in there brother and welcome home!! You guys from the time before I was in is who I looked up to growing up. Without you and what you did for America, we wouldnt be here today.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This kind of threads leads to political fights, I am so sick of Liberals, My Va Care netted me new knees after 40 years I got them, Won't give them back until I am dead.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
While I can understand Piegrande's way of thinking, AND as I think in a conservative way, I can understand that there is a lot of money spent that might not "need" to be. On the other hand, how much is that amount.....really?? I mean, compared with everything else that Congress and the rest of the gov't wastes?

That said, let me interject a few more tidbits to chew on fer a while. When someone enlists, even for 4 years, they are making a minimum 8 year commitment. You have your time in grade, then your time in the reserves (if you're not active reserves, then you're inactive reserves.....but still, you're in the reserves!). Then, just in case we should have one of those when-the-poo-hits-the-fan disasters, there should be plenty of healthy and well-trained/experienced personnel to have available to recall into active duty - or to even have people who could help fight a domestic invasion, even if from their own home or town (remember the movie Red Dawn?).

So I would imagine that if the gov't wants to ensure that there is maximum potential payback from the training that goes into each military member, then they should offer medical benefits to those who have served, even if during peacetime, and stateside, and only for 4 years. Doesn't mean we, as veterans, have to take advantage of those benefits, even if we CAN get them. A few years back, wife and I got stranded out of state due to an auto accident. Our medical didn't cover out of state, so I applied for temporary benefits from the VA there, as there is no VA close to me up here. I was turned down. Ran the paperwork through again and it was turned down again. Got a letter from Wash DC some months later detailing just why that was - and basically, they simply were not accepting any more applicants during that time, UNLESS you were currently active duty (maybe home on leave), retired military, disabled due to your service, etc. Even with service-related disability, I know several folks who are having HUGE problems just getting in for medical care. They say it's a constant fight. Some have even had to contact their Congressmen and Representatives.

The gov't started rationing veteran's care many years ago, and putting folks like Piegrande and me (4 years, stateside, peacetime) at the end of the list. They "try" to work in retirees and service-related vets, but sometimes there simply are not enough resources to go around -- and some areas operate more efficiently than other areas. Lots of other things to consider as well.

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The V.A. has saved my life several times, some serious Medicine was applied skillfully, artfully and By Teams of Dr.'s, The Civilian Hospital simply can Not match VA care Now that TRUMP has Boosted the system, I am fortunate that I have the Best Congressman in the USA= Greg Walden(R), without Greg the whole Oregon VA would be one of the worst, the system here is Now the BEST I have seen,Much better than ANY civi so called hospital.

I try to avoid any Medical treatment it is healthier I think, do not be a lab rat, they will try to experiment on all of us, I told my navy bud to watch out, now he sports a colostomy, no bladder, No Colon and a few other parts, all because THEY wanted to test everything and Biopsy everything= they make Money with every test they can do, Taxpayer Money.

It used to Irk the heck out of me when I would see Vets selling pills, that has been pretty much stopped, thank God. I quit an open ended supply of Morphine for 12 years, By Myself, took two months to clear the stuff out of me, painfull every minute of 6 weeks. have had surgeries since and no problems with the use of it in surgery.

Point is we are all different, best to have the care and Not need it, to need and not have it is disgraceful.

Last edited:

CaptEsteban

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2011
I am a disabled vet, wounded twice in Nam. I am thankful that the VA helps me & encourage others to sign up.

Deepseeker = There are many Agent Orange related illnesses . I know several who have died from these illnesses, lately & more are dying every day. It is very easy to ask for an Agent Orange medical examination.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a half brother that fought for 20 years to get VA to acknowledge his health issue were agent orange related, it took 20 years to get VA to acknowledge it. He was a copter pilot, did 3 tours of Nam. Cancer from agent orange won in the end.

I think all vets should receive free health care for life if they need it.

January 20, 2017 A New Beginning!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a disabled vet, wounded twice in Nam. I am thankful that the VA helps me & encourage others to sign up.

Deepseeker = There are many Agent Orange related illnesses . I know several who have died from these illnesses, lately & more are dying every day. It is very easy to ask for an Agent Orange medical examination.

My befuddled memory......

Didn't we determine several years ago we were both in An Khe at the same time?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread