DD214

PArebel

Oct 26, 2007
Clearfield County, PA
Hey Fellow Vets,
I received my discharge in 1969 after service in Nam. I never looked at my DD214 after that. In 2010 I retired from a job and tried to get in the VA. After all the paper work they told me I had "too much money". Which is a crock. The government was always telling us to save for retirement. And, I did not "have too much money".
I was mad so did not follow up.
In 2015 I was invited to a Vietnam Veterans of American Chapter meeting. I took my DD214 and it did not show the "Vietnam Campaign Medal---boots on the ground. I was "boots on the ground". I was also told that boots on the ground in Nam were automatically in the VA. ??? The local VA office did some checking for me, found paperwork validating my time in Nam and they got me in the VA.
And, the local VA office then sent in a request for an update on my DD214. Sent it Feb, 2016. I received paperwork from the Army in December, 2018 updating my DD214. Only took two years. I actually have two more medals I did not know about. Not that they matter much after 50 years, but it was nice to know about them. Maybe with them and two dollars I can get a cup of coffee at the local convenience store.
Any of you Nam Vets having trouble being accepted in the VA, check your DD214 to see if it shows the "Vietnam Campaign Medal".
I so enjoy my Chapter and wish I had joined years ago. As many of our Vets know, we did not receive much of a "Welcome Home" so my Chapter has its' own "Welcome Home" party.
Welcome Home

Last edited:

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked with one of the "veterans Organizations" for years and got no where. My service rep was useless. I met a American Legion rep at the VA hospital and he within a few months got my 100% rating. Fellow vets, Please don't get discouraged, There are several organizations that can help. If you cant get anywhere with one organization, go to another. Another program that's new and a lot of vets are not aware of is the Veterans Choice program. It allows you to see your local home town doctors and not have to drive hours to the VA hospital. I see my local eye doctor, local dentist and I had my knee replacement with the doctor I wanted In in my home hospital 15 minuets away. If you are going to a VA hospital you can get in the Veterans Choice program. I don't know all the requirement to get in, but a simple phone call, you can have the answers. I urge all vets to keep in contact with your local representatives in Washington.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you both for your service! Any American Legion Post will help a fellow Veteran, especially a war time veteran. God Bless us, one and all!

US Army 1973-1976 1/41 Field Artillery :usflag:

Attachments

• IMG_0481 (3).JPG
    IMG_0481 (3).JPG
    190.7 KB · Views: 91

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend is a Vietnam Vet and he's been having a hell of a time getting it all squared away. He's finally approved 100% but they're still dragging their feet. 2 years to get dentures, with multiple complications, sending him to drive hours to get to his surgery, no help with housing, and credit is bunk because they garnished his wages for a paperwork mix up, so he's living in a motel because no one will rent to him, even though on paper he's clearly eligible. (you know how much a motel costs? More than a nice mortgage.)

He has it mostly taken care of, but has almost given up multiple times because of the uphill battle. Every time I see him I think "He's in the home stretch. Just one more month of this." but it's been SO LONG. He's got a good head on him, so I know he's doing everything he can. It's the bureaucracy that's holding it all back.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vets need to be proactive, just to clean, I'm not saying anyone isn't, but if they are dragging their feet about getting you the care and service you need, you need to be calling 3 TIMES a week. Pester the crap out of them. You've heard the squeaky wheel gets the grease, Be the wheel that the wheel bearings have caught fire. I get SO tired of sitting in the waiting room at the VA and hearing some guy ***** about the system and when I ask if he has called to inquire about his claim, I get the "naw, it wont do any good, I haven't talked to them in 2 years":BangHead:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I had no idea of the benefits available to me until my barber told me about it. He suggested I link up with the American Legion counselors. I did and the paperwork was completed and submitted for me, and I was immediately accepted. Since then the VA has probably saved my life twice. Contrary to most veteran's experience, even through the political fiascos, I am blessed with great service - zero complaints.

However, I do need to get off my duff and apply for Agent Orange benefits - I need to find an American Legion around here!

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like Deep, I wasn't aware of the VA medical benefits available to me, until about 2010, which was quite a few years after I got out in 67. Since then, I would have to say that 95% of my treatment has been the best possible anywhere. In fact, like Deep the North Texas VA Medical System has saved my life twice to date finding problems that the civilian medical system had basically over looked for years. In fact, the VA found that I had 3 brain aneurysms and an abdominal aortic aneurysm, that the VA checks annually with CT scans for any growth. Any one of those four could kill a person very quickly if they grow beyond a certain point and burst. In fact, in my case I was told four weeks ago that my abdominal aortic aneurysm had grown quite a bit in one year and was now at a length where surgery was absolutely necessary. After checking further it turns out that in order to successfully complete my aneurysm surgery because of how and where its located, a special stent had to be ordered for me from the only company in the world that makes these custom stents, made specifically for me and my body, in Australia. It will take 6 to 8 weeks to get this custom stent from this company in Australia ad then I will immediately get my surgery at the VA Hospital in Dallas. No one could have this surgery any faster due to having to have this custom stent made.

As with many VA Medical systems across the country, the N Texas VA Med System has a contract with a local, well respected medical hospital system to provide key medical services personnel to the VA. Here it is UT Southwestern Medical System personnel, one of the finest hospital systems in the country. My cardiac surgeon who will do my surgery is with UTSW Med System. I couldn't ask for any better or more qualified and knowledgeable people to handle my surgery and care. In fact, although I live 75 miles from the Dallas VA Hospital, the CHOICE program isn't even a consideration for me with serious conditions and surgery like this. UTSW Med teaches other surgeons various procedures. I figure Ill stick with the teachers and let the students learn on someone else.

Needless to say, I have been very pleased with my VA medical care.

WyoMike

Sep 21, 2013
Wyoming -- Kansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-PRO
BH Discovery 3300
Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I filled my first claim for PTSD in 2008. It kept being denied, mostly because I was in the BLUE WATER NAVY and didn't have BOOTS ON THE GROUND. When were on Gunline I could spit on the shore. This went on for several years until finally found the ship's log in the National Archives and could finally prove we were in combat, taking fire from shore batteries. It ticks me off that the VA could have found these records faster than I could but they never offered to help or look. Finally in 2016 they finally accepted my claim and I got a 50% service connected disability rating. I was really surprised when they reimbursed for everything that I should gotten from 2008 on.

Last edited:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had no idea of the benefits available to me until my barber told me about it. He suggested I link up with the American Legion counselors. I did and the paperwork was completed and submitted for me, and I was immediately accepted. Since then the VA has probably saved my life twice. Contrary to most veteran's experience, even through the political fiascos, I am blessed with great service - zero complaints.

However, I do need to get off my duff and apply for Agent Orange benefits - I need to find an American Legion around here!

I see you're in Virginia, not sure of the exact location. This is the Dept Headquarters in Richmond, broken down by Regions and Districts. Just click your location & find a post within that region & district.

https://valegion.org/?page_id=540

I've been a member for the past 25 years and served as adjutant for my post for 15.

RR

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I filled my first claim for PTSD in 2008. It kept being denied, mostly because I was in the BLUE WATER NAVY and didn't have BOOTS ON THE GROUND. When were on Gunline I could spit on the shore. This went on for several years until finally found the ship's log in the National Archives and could finally prove we were in combat, taking fire from shore batteries. It ticks me off that the VA could have found these records faster than I could but they never offered to help or look. Finally in 2016 they finally accepted my claim and I got a 50% service connected disability rating. I was really surprised when they reimbursed for everything that I should gotten from 2008 on.

Yea. When you file a claim and win they will pay pack to the original claim date. I got an agent orange that has been going on for over 3 years now. Maybe some day i might win it.

CaptainRobin

Mar 14, 2006
The Peach State
Detector(s) used
Whatever it takes to get the coon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fellers, I'm not a 'Nam Veteran. I did serve for 20 years... been retired for 19+ years. I was awarded a 30% service connected (SC) disability within three months after retirement. Over the years that has been upgraded to 70% SC, which basically means the VA pays me at the 100% rate as I am deemed unemployable. I understand the frustration so many Veterans feel with the VA. My experience with the VA is NEVER give up. File an appeal EVERY time you are denied an upgrade. Curb your frustration and anger, keep your eye on the goal. In the end, once an upgraded disability rating is awarded, the VA will compensate you retroactively from the date of the original claim. It can mean THOUSANDS of dollars, and VA compensation is NOT taxable.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea. When you file a claim and win they will pay pack to the original claim date. I got an agent orange that has been going on for over 3 years now. Maybe some day i might win it.

Good luck on your claim.

I've had 4 basal cell carcinomas cut off me (by the VA) in the last 5 years, the last about a year ago. At this point I'm awaiting another to appear. It is only in the last year that I linked the carcinomas to Agent Orange. I ran into a fellow vet in the grocery store with the same issue - he applied for the Agent Orange benefit and received it. I think he said he received $600 a month from the benefit. Each time I address the problem with my primary care physician he has countered me saying it was due to exposure to the sun.

I'm a red head, not a sun worshiper!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread