Question of the infinity = do veterans get an addition to their SSN? - Page 2
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Question of the infinity = do veterans get an addition to their SSN?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Aug 2013
    North Central Texas
    AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
    395 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    jeff, With all due respect buddy, if a veteran is in the VA health system already there is a much faster way to file a claim than going through the county VA rep where you live. In most VA medical centers and hospitals they have people with separate offices in their Benefits Dept that are there solely to help the vets file any claim or answer any question the vet might have and are there to help the vet get all they are entitled to, benefit wise. That was what I did and I found it to be a very positive experience
    TerryC and DeepseekerADS like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell, AZ
    Ace 250 (2), Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Falcon MD20, Garrett pinpointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
    7751 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    You owe it to yourself to ASK! Put the pride away for now. As a 'Nam vet, even diabetes is automatically assumed to be from Agent Orange. MANY other things are on the list. I am 100% disabled because of PTSD. I gave to this country and, by God, it is now giving back to me. Take it. This country OWES you and every other Vet! ╦╦
    Blessed be the Lord, my rock, who trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle. Psalms 144 1-2

us
    Jul 2013
    OC, Calif
    Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
    784 times
    Beach and Shallow Water Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    My Dad is a 3 war vet WWII (army) Korea and Viet Nam (Navy fighter pilot / test pilot - almost 600 carrier landings) He totally lost his hearing about 20 years ago due to the high decibel level of some of the old aircraft he flew. He receives his retirement from 30 years of service + 100% combat related disability pay. He lives in San Diego, Ca. They base his property tax on his original price of the home. Not the current 1.2% of assessed value. He pays about $60 a year in property tax. Not the 10K his neighbors pay. Maybe not a big deal is some states, but Ca home prices are high and so are the taxes. It's nice he gets a break.

us
    Aug 2013
    North Central Texas
    395 times
    After the discussion in this thread and especially after reading augoldminers comments to the thread, as I said in my post to augoldminer on August 2nd 2018, when I went to the VA medical facility for my scheduled appointment on July 31st, I talked with a Benefits adviser and filed a claim for severe hearing loss. The V A had already OKd me hearing aids from years before due to my having been an Aircraft Electrician in the Air Force back in the day. I have been deaf in my left ear since that time but I had no idea I could file a claim for it until this thread. The VA claims people sent me a letter and requested an outside group they chose do an evaluation on my hearing loss. I went and met with those outside folks on Oct 8th and gave me a battery of hearing tests, basically the same as the VA had done years before when they gave me hearing aids. Yesterday, November 14th, I received a letter from the VA stating that they had accepted my claim and gave me a 20% disability rating, 10% for hearing loss and 10% for tinnitus, or a total of 20% disability. That translates to a $239.60 check each month from now on. They also sent me checks for three months of payment of that amount, or if you will, from the date of my claim being filed on July 31 2018. If augoldminer hadn't mentioned that hearing loss qualified for disability in this thread, I would never have known to file. I just cant help wondering why the VA hearing Docs didn't tell me years ago that I would qualify if I filed!! Oh well, thanks again augoldminer and this is just another example of why we vets need to stay in forums like this and discuss anything and everything because you never know when it will benefit a fellow vet. I this case, it definitely was me!
    Last edited by Unclebuck257; Nov 15, 2018 at 03:37 PM.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

us
    Nov 2018
    Warner Robins, Ga
    MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
    244 times
    Coming late to the thread, but my take and 2 cents, with a disclaimer. I work for the VA and am a service-connected vet today at 90%. I wouldn't have any of it except for my Dad, a great vet and real hero who stayed in my grill until I filed. I am so glad he did and it has gotten us through some rough times where my family might have been homeless otherwise. The biggest problem and enemy for ANY vet is our ego. We always want to believe that some other vet has it worse than we do. I tell every vet that comes into my office that regardless of branch or job, we all served and were part of the greatest force for good in recorded history. We know what we did, went through and were exposed to. SO DOES OUR GOVERNMENT... Never let your ego or someone else tell you not to file. READ CAREFULLY....you DO NOT NEED PROOF of the incident or medical records or a time limit to file any claim!!! All you have to do is find a veteran service officer at any one of 30 organizations (DAV, American Legion, VFW, Paralyzed Vets of America, etc) or any state Veteran office and tell them you want to file claims for service connection. The form is fairly simple, you can even pull it off the internet and do it yourself! Try to think of all the health conditions you can and file all those claims at one time. Some here are correct that hearing loss & tinnitus (that constant ringing or buzzing in the ears) is the most often awarded. But a large amount of veterans have some form of PTSD and don't realize it. I didn't until a doctor asked me "Do you have trouble getting to sleep, staying asleep or thinking about old service stuff? Do you just want to be left alone? Do you only eat in restaurants if you have your back to the wall? That was my wake up call.I was later rated at 50% just for PTSD and I don't have to go to groups or take drugs.....The message here is just go ahead and file. If you have records, then by all means provide copies to the folks at your exam. Then let the chips fall where they may. I could go on, but will get off my soapbox before I lose my job...Blessings on you my brothers and sisters, you can PM me anytime!
    holepuncher likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18470 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonscout View Post
    Blessings on you my brothers and sisters, you can PM me anytime!
    I've learned a few things here, started this thread just for this. I've always been very reluctant to file for any benefits. The healthcare was an absolute necessity, so tired of the medical merry-go-round ranking up the expenses. I'm certain the VA saved and extended my life. But then there's all those cancers I keep getting cut off....
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

us
    Oct 2014
    Amboy Wa.
    AT Pro
    550 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by boogeyman View Post
    Boy what an insult.......... "You Army troops had an MOS". Third generation Marine here. I'll let it slide! Sittin here with a here with a big mug of coffee. And the son in law was a jet jock so I understand.

Was wondering, ya got any flight line I can borrow?
    No flight line but have a role of contour line.

us
    Aug 2013
    North Central Texas
    395 times
    Quote Originally Posted by DeepseekerADS View Post
    I've learned a few things here, started this thread just for this. I've always been very reluctant to file for any benefits. The healthcare was an absolute necessity, so tired of the medical merry-go-round ranking up the expenses. I'm certain the VA saved and extended my life. But then there's all those cancers I keep getting cut off....
    Deep, You may want to check out your exposure to Agent Orange with regard to the cancers. You wont know until you file buddy! For what its worth Deep, I've had three major mohs cancer surgeries myself. By major, I mean an area at least 2 inches by 3 inches and one required a second day of plastic surgery to close me up, ( 3 inches by 3 inches on my forehead and down to the bone) so I too can say the VA saved my life. Check it out, All they can do is say no.
    DeepseekerADS likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2013
    SW, VA - Bull Mountain
    CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
    18470 times
    Digging in the dirt & scooping in the water!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck257 View Post
    Deep, You may want to check out your exposure to Agent Orange with regard to the cancers. You wont know until you file buddy! For what its worth Deep, I've had three major mohs cancer surgeries myself. By major, I mean an area at least 2 inches by 3 inches and one required a second day of plastic surgery to close me up, ( 3 inches by 3 inches on my forehead and down to the bone) so I too can say the VA saved my life. Check it out, All they can do is say no.
    Thanks, I have an appointment for my eyes on Dec. 4th. I'll stop in and try again.

All my cancers (3) were on my left shoulder and arm - the drivers side window, and when I've brought it up to them before, they always blame that.

But with multiple surgeries on both eyes - eyeballs and eyelids, 6" of colon left, a long history of kidney disorders, perhaps I need to press them a lot more aggressively.

I had Agent Orange sprayed all over me both in Vietnam and Cambodia.
    Republic of Vietnam 10/69 - 3/71, Cambodia April 27, 1970 on a mountain top with HUGE scorpions

"'He jests at scars who never felt a wound'" c.s.lewis - 1940

The Ten Commandments: http://www.godstenlaws.com/ten-comma.../#.UdAz65yynZg

The Bill of Rights: http://billofrightsinstitute.org/fou...ill-of-rights/

The Constitution: http://www.archives.gov/exhibits/cha...ranscript.html

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links