Question of the infinity = do veterans get an addition to their SSN?

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
My accountant told me that if I do not receive anything other than Social Security, I don't even have to file my taxes anymore. It has been that for rolling into my 4th year now. I receive NOTHING else but SSN in my retirement - keeps me fed. Everything else was lost along the way thus it boils down to a meager existence - I can live with that. I'm happy and at peace.

So, I've read teases which say there may be more out there - under the same conditions.

Note that I've expanded my questioning on the Barracks forum - let's all go exploring and see what we can dig up to supplement our lives.

Brains together = is there more for us other than mere "existence" ?

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
use all of the discounts,lowes,home depot,pollo loco ,jack in the box.most are 10% and it adds up.iam in the same boat and it cool to watch people run around crazy on apirl 14.
brad

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep, I am in the same boat buddy except that since my wife is younger than I am and doesn't yet qualify for her SS benefits or Medicare, she is basically working for health insurance. Her salary is just a minor addition to our yearly income and is not as much as my SS is or her SS will be. Again, her medical insurance coverage, which is very good, is the main reason she works where she does. Even with her salary added to my SS income each year on my means report, my copay is still the lowest possible and only on medications.

Last edited:

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get SS benefits plus $134 a month for 10% service connected tinnitus.

If you were subjected to load noises in the service apply for service connected for hearing loss and tinnitus. you will be tested and if you have both its 20%.
tinnitus is 10%
And hearing loss is 10% if you need hearing aids.
Just that will get you on there books as service connected with no co-pay for meds.
i am still fighting for dioxin exposure from burning electricial cableing on the navy ship i was on.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as the combined income into household including spouse's income is less than $32,000 then you do not owe nor do you have to file federal taxes..

I didn't find out until I was ready to retire that my SS was taxable. I was not a happy camper when I found out 85% of my SS was taxable when I retired. My ss and pension put me over that number with out the wife's income added on.

OP
OP
DeepseekerADS

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
As long as the combined income into household including spouse's income is less than $32,000 then you do not owe nor do you have to file federal taxes..

I didn't find out until I was ready to retire that my SS was taxable. I was not a happy camper when I found out 85% of my SS was taxable when I retired. My ss and pension put me over that number with out the wife's income added on.

Danged! I've no remaining pensions, cashed them all out over the years due to the circumstances at the time - each time. I'm now on SSN only, and of course I walk the parking lot's and coinstars looking for extra benefits!

Metal detecting is for pleasure only - though I was looking for coin sleeves today to cash out a whole lot of saved coins :)

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
augoldminer, are you saying from your post above that if I have hearing aids from the VA, which I do, that I automatically qualify for a 10% disability too, plus no copay on meds if I had a career field where I was around loud noises in the service? As I said, I do and yes, I did! I will definitely have to check this out.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Danged! I've no remaining pensions, cashed them all out over the years due to the circumstances at the time - each time. I'm now on SSN only, and of course I walk the parking lot's and coinstars looking for extra benefits!

Metal detecting is for pleasure only - though I was looking for coin sleeves today to cash out a whole lot of saved coins :)

Well, that sounds bad, but as long as you can get by, I am glad for you.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
augoldminer, are you saying from your post above that if I have hearing aids from the VA, which I do, that I automatically qualify for a 10% disability too, plus no copay on meds if I had a career field where I was around loud noises in the service? As I said, I do and yes, I did! I will definitely have to check this out.
YES! My grandfather was getting the 10%, for at least 20 years. He went in to be tested again and had a significant loss + tinnitus. They upped him to 20%. Every other year he'd go to the VA & they'd test and give him new hearing aids, you know the ones built into his glasses. He also would call up the VA & play stupid telling them "I'm out of batteries what do I do?" Sure enough! They'd send him a box of batteries.

If you had an Aviation MOS or around aviation it's a breeze! They check your SRB for hearing tests & any loss at all, you're upped to 20%! I didn't even get notified, the only way I knew was the bigger checks.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey boogeyman, in the Air Force it was an AFSC. You Army troops had an MOS. LOL. Yeah, my AFSC was in aircraft maintenance initially so I think I need to ask and check this out

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey boogeyman, in the Air Force it was an AFSC. You Army troops had an MOS. LOL. Yeah, my AFSC was in aircraft maintenance initially so I think I need to ask and check this out
Boy what an insult.......... "You Army troops had an MOS". Third generation Marine here. I'll let it slide! :tongue3: Sittin here with a here with a big mug of coffee. And the son in law was a jet jock so I understand.
laughing7.gif

Was wondering, ya got any flight line I can borrow?

Last edited:

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
boogeyman. No buddy , sorry but I was one of those young airman types who didn't consider saving any of my flightline and used it up as fast as I could get it!! At night, with those lights on, it was beautiful to see and those civilian girls really used to like coming on base and parking somewhere so we could watch the flightline at night. I tried my best to accommodate them as much as I could too! LMBO. Oh, and sorry about the Army remark too Marine.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
augoldminer, I filed the paperwork to start my claim for hearing loss earlier this week. They are saying it will take 4 months to get a determination, including hearing tests and evaluation ,etc. We will just have to wait and see I guess and even though it was the VA that does all my hearing tests and has given me hearing aids, new hearing tests will be required for this claim. Interesting!!!

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
I went through the county va rep at my counties court house and filed claims, you can file a claim for anything but the key is connecting it to your time in military. Anything that may have happened during your service, exposure to agent orange, anything that maybe listed in your medical records. If you can get service connected for anything you can get pretty well discounted medical. Tinnitus is pretty much a gimme like the other guys said if your job was around loud noises, I worked on the flight deck of an aircraft carrier. The claim process can take awhile depending on what you have going on. I would say the best thing to do is contact your local rep at the county and see how that goes, some are good some arent, if that dont pan out contact your local va, or try this link https://www.ebenefits.va.gov/ebenefits/vso-search

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff, With all due respect buddy, if a veteran is in the VA health system already there is a much faster way to file a claim than going through the county VA rep where you live. In most VA medical centers and hospitals they have people with separate offices in their Benefits Dept that are there solely to help the vets file any claim or answer any question the vet might have and are there to help the vet get all they are entitled to, benefit wise. That was what I did and I found it to be a very positive experience

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You owe it to yourself to ASK! Put the pride away for now. As a 'Nam vet, even diabetes is automatically assumed to be from Agent Orange. MANY other things are on the list. I am 100% disabled because of PTSD. I gave to this country and, by God, it is now giving back to me. Take it. This country OWES you and every other Vet! ╦╦Ç

TommyB

Jul 24, 2013
OC, Calif
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI & Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
My Dad is a 3 war vet WWII (army) Korea and Viet Nam (Navy fighter pilot / test pilot - almost 600 carrier landings) He totally lost his hearing about 20 years ago due to the high decibel level of some of the old aircraft he flew. He receives his retirement from 30 years of service + 100% combat related disability pay. He lives in San Diego, Ca. They base his property tax on his original price of the home. Not the current 1.2% of assessed value. He pays about $60 a year in property tax. Not the 10K his neighbors pay. Maybe not a big deal is some states, but Ca home prices are high and so are the taxes. It's nice he gets a break.

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After the discussion in this thread and especially after reading augoldminers comments to the thread, as I said in my post to augoldminer on August 2nd 2018, when I went to the VA medical facility for my scheduled appointment on July 31st, I talked with a Benefits adviser and filed a claim for severe hearing loss. The V A had already OKd me hearing aids from years before due to my having been an Aircraft Electrician in the Air Force back in the day. I have been deaf in my left ear since that time but I had no idea I could file a claim for it until this thread. The VA claims people sent me a letter and requested an outside group they chose do an evaluation on my hearing loss. I went and met with those outside folks on Oct 8th and gave me a battery of hearing tests, basically the same as the VA had done years before when they gave me hearing aids. Yesterday, November 14th, I received a letter from the VA stating that they had accepted my claim and gave me a 20% disability rating, 10% for hearing loss and 10% for tinnitus, or a total of 20% disability. That translates to a $239.60 check each month from now on. They also sent me checks for three months of payment of that amount, or if you will, from the date of my claim being filed on July 31 2018. If augoldminer hadn't mentioned that hearing loss qualified for disability in this thread, I would never have known to file. I just cant help wondering why the VA hearing Docs didn't tell me years ago that I would qualify if I filed!! Oh well, thanks again augoldminer and this is just another example of why we vets need to stay in forums like this and discuss anything and everything because you never know when it will benefit a fellow vet. I this case, it definitely was me!

Last edited:

Dragonscout

Nov 1, 2018
Warner Robins, Ga
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO (formerly) - Tesoro Mojave, and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coming late to the thread, but my take and 2 cents, with a disclaimer. I work for the VA and am a service-connected vet today at 90%. I wouldn't have any of it except for my Dad, a great vet and real hero who stayed in my grill until I filed. I am so glad he did and it has gotten us through some rough times where my family might have been homeless otherwise. The biggest problem and enemy for ANY vet is our ego. We always want to believe that some other vet has it worse than we do. I tell every vet that comes into my office that regardless of branch or job, we all served and were part of the greatest force for good in recorded history. We know what we did, went through and were exposed to. SO DOES OUR GOVERNMENT... Never let your ego or someone else tell you not to file. READ CAREFULLY....you DO NOT NEED PROOF of the incident or medical records or a time limit to file any claim!!! All you have to do is find a veteran service officer at any one of 30 organizations (DAV, American Legion, VFW, Paralyzed Vets of America, etc) or any state Veteran office and tell them you want to file claims for service connection. The form is fairly simple, you can even pull it off the internet and do it yourself! Try to think of all the health conditions you can and file all those claims at one time. Some here are correct that hearing loss & tinnitus (that constant ringing or buzzing in the ears) is the most often awarded. But a large amount of veterans have some form of PTSD and don't realize it. I didn't until a doctor asked me "Do you have trouble getting to sleep, staying asleep or thinking about old service stuff? Do you just want to be left alone? Do you only eat in restaurants if you have your back to the wall? That was my wake up call.I was later rated at 50% just for PTSD and I don't have to go to groups or take drugs.....The message here is just go ahead and file. If you have records, then by all means provide copies to the folks at your exam. Then let the chips fall where they may. I could go on, but will get off my soapbox before I lose my job...Blessings on you my brothers and sisters, you can PM me anytime!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread