Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
US Sends Coffins to Inter-Korean Border for Remains of Soldiers

"SEOUL – The United States army sent on Saturday 100 wooden coffins to the inter-Korean border to bring back the remains of American soldiers killed during the Korean War (1950-1953) from North Korea. The US army also dispatched 158 metallic coffins from Yongsan base in Seoul to the Osan base in Gyeonggi province.

Sending back remains of the American soldiers was a part of the declaration signed during the summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un on June 12 in Singapore, in which they also agreed on denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.

More than 36,000 US troops had died in the Korean War and nearly 7,700 were reported missing. Joint teams from the US and North Korea had recovered 229 bodies between 1996-2005; however, Washington suspended the search program due to deterioration of ties between the two countries."

Thankfully, this will provide 'closure' for many families.
Don..........

Source: Latin American Herald Tribune - US Sends Coffins to Inter-Korean Border for Remains of Soldiers

Earlier this week, sources in the Pentagon said the remains, on reaching the US, would be taken to military installations in Nebraska or Hawaii for identification.

Mudflap

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Wallingford, Connecticut 1667
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Dual Field, CZ-21, Vaquero, Home Brewed (3).
Detecting since 1972.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would be loaded to the travel caskets at Osan as that is the main Air Force Base. They fly direct to the US

Unclebuck257

Aug 31, 2013
North Central Texas
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Garrett Carrot PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, we should demand the remains of ALL of our troops that they are holding before we enter negotiations with that little chubby POS before we give him anything. ALL of the families need closure and more importantly, ALL our troops need to be honored with a proper burial HERE!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I had a cousin I never heard of until a very few years ago. He was in the Marines, but died on Bougainville after the area was turned over to the Army. I assume because he was with an air defense Marine group. One of those guns where the operator sits on a chair and it swivels around as the enemy craft flies over.

I was given a photo of his surfboard which had his name on it, beside the funeral tent on the island. He was buried, I think, there, then moved to another cemetery, not sure if it was on Hawaii or not. Then, eventually he was moved and lies next to his parents and family in his hometown. They do work hard to get them where they belong. Of course, we would prefer they come home, walking but war does not always cooperate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions