911 Anniversary

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
18 years ago today, I was at work when the terrorist attacks occurred. We saw the news footage and knew we would be deployed soon. (I was almost 35 years old, a TSgt and was coming up on 14 years of service.)

We spent the next few weeks spinning up our aircrew on desert survival, combat survival and E&E procedures, getting our mobility bins inspected. 30 days after 911 we were enroute to our deployed location, with me being the deployed Aircrew Life Support NCOIC. Upon arrival we spent the next 3 days getting all our survival equipment configured and survival radios programmed. We were now part of Task Force Sword under Joint Special Operations Task Force-South. Then on the evening of 19 Oct 2001, 4 of our MC-130E aircraft launched for "Hit Night" the targets being Objective Rhino and Gecko.

Copied from wiki.

Objective Rhino and Gecko

"On the night of October 19, 2001, 200 Rangers from the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, parachuted from 4 Lockheed MC-130 aircraft onto "Objective Rhino", a landing strip south of Kandahar, covered by AC-130 gunships. Before the Rangers dropped, the site was softened up by B-2 Spirit stealth bombers. The Rangers met almost no resistance, except for a solitary Taliban fighter who was quickly killed, securing the objective. A small Taliban force mounted in pick up trucks that attempted to investigate was spotted and destroyed by the AC-130s. The Rangers provided security while a FARP (Forward Arming and Refuelling Point) was established using fuel bladders from MC-130s; the mission paved the way for the later use of the airstrip by the 15th Marine Expeditionary Unit as FOB Rhino, who would be among the first conventional forces to set foot in Afghanistan. No casualties were suffered in the operation itself (two Rangers received minor injuries in the jump itself), though two Rangers assigned to a CSAR element supporting the mission were killed when their MH-60L helicopter crashed at Objective Honda in Pakistan, a temporary staging site used by a company of Rangers from 3/75. The Helicopter crashed due to a brownout.

At the same time, a squadron of Delta Force operatives supported by Rangers from Task Force Sword conducted an operation outside of Kandahar at a location known as Objective Gecko – its target was Mullah Omar, who was suspected to be at his summer retreat in the hills above Kandahar. Four MH-47E helicopters took off from the USS Kitty Hawk (which was serving as an SOF base) in the Indian Ocean carrying 91 soldiers. The assault teams were drawn from Delta, while teams from the Rangers secured the perimeter and manned blocking positions. Before the soldiers were inserted, the target area was softened up by preparatory fire from AC-130s and MH-60L Direct Action Penetrators. The assaulters met no resistance on target and there was no sign of the Taliban leader, so they switched to exploiting the target location for any intelligence, while their helicopters landed at Rhino to refuel at the newly established FARP. As the teams prepared to extract, a sizable Taliban force approached the compound and engaged the US force with small arms fire and RPG's The Delta Force operators and Rangers engaged the insurgents and a heavy firefight developed. An attached Combat Controller directed fire from the orbiting AC-130s and DAPs, allowing the assault force to break contact and withdraw to an emergency Helicopter Landing Zone (HLZ). One of the MH-47Es lost a wheel assembly after striking the compound wall in the scramble to extract the ground force. Some 30 Taliban fighters were killed in the firefight; there were no US soldiers killed, but 12 Delta operators were wounded.; Delta's plans to leave a stay-behind reconnaissance team in the area were aborted by the Taliban response."

Please take a moment to reflect on and remember those who died that day, and all those that gave their lives extracting our nation's revenge on those who wished harm upon us. I recall when the remains of the two young Rangers were loaded up for the final trip home. Everyone on the parking apron was at attention and saluting. Two young lives ended before they could really live.

May God continue to bless this nation, her citizens and the men and women (Military, First Responders) who fight for and protect her. And may we never have to experience another 9-11.

I've have since retired and miss being in, but the torch had been passed to a younger generation. I wish them all the best, I stand behind them and support them, and yes at times I wish I was with them down range again.

My ugly mug second from the left.

IMG_2808.jpg

Last edited:

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Kudos to you Mike... Lest we 'never' forget 9/11. :thumbsup:
Hard to believe it's been 18 years already.
I'm 55 now and I'll remember that day along with the Challenger disaster for the rest of my life.

As ARC mentioned... thank you for your service! :award_star_silver_3

Dave

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Kudos to you Mike... Lest we 'never' forget 9/11. :thumbsup:
Hard to believe it's been 18 years already.
I'm 55 now and I'll remember that day along with the Challenger disaster for the rest of my life.

As ARC mentioned... thank you for your service! :award_star_silver_3

Dave

28 January 1986, Challenger Disaster I was in Basic Training (3 weeks into the 6 weeks) at Lackland AFB, San Antonio Texas. Strange how we remember where we were when a disaster happened.

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
At this time, back in 2001, I was on the way to the Richmond International Airport to board an airplane in route to Texas. Little did I know as I boarded the plane, that in a few short minutes, our plane would literally be forced to land in Little Rock, Arkansas as all hell broke loose in New York, and around the country.

Please pause for a moment to remember all those who died that day.

Thanks for your service, ffuries!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 6.28.42 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-09-11 at 6.28.42 AM.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 100

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That it is this morning at 4:40am. What a day that was and how it still feels like it really wasn't all that long ago. I was in Columbus Montana at the Super 8 that morning. I went up to the lobby to get a cup of coffee and as I was heading back to my room I heard the folks at the front desk behind me say something about a plane had crashed in a building in New York. I didn't really acknowledge what they were saying until I got back in the room and saw there on the TV what was going on and then the 2nd plane hit. You just knew then this wasn't some freak accident. Thanks for being there for us ffuries.

Hawks88

Gold Member
Aug 26, 2012
Niagara falls
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You’re a good man ffuries. Thank you for your service.

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you for the kind words everyone. The military was my mistress and I spent more time with her, than I did home with my family. Missed a lot of holidays, birthdays, anniversaries and firsts that I'll never get back, but was involved in and saw a lot of things and a lot of history all over the world! Went into harm's way enough times to drive the wife insane.

Operational Deployments

Operation Desert Storm 1991 w/ 7th Special Operations Squadron
Operation Joint Endeavor IFOR 1996 w/ 5th Special Operations Squadron
Operation Joint Forge SFOR 1998 w/ 711th Special Operations Squadron
Operation Southern Watch 1999 w/ 71st Rescue Squadron
Operation Enduring Freedom 2001 w/ 711th Special Operations Squadron
Operation Enduring Freedom 2002 w/ 711th Special Operations Squadron

Last edited:

hill_billiez

Sep 16, 2012
SW PA
Detector(s) used
AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Challenger disaster in ‘86. 21TFW AAC Elmendorf AFB. Galena radar was down. Sitting in alert hanger, watching CNN. Shed a silent tear for the loss of 7 brave souls. 9-11-01 waiting to work the afternoon shift, watching CNN. Remember feeling of anger and wanting revenge. Remember the loss this country felt. NEVER FORGET. God bless America.
Da patriotic hillbilly.

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
18 years ago today, my mom was getting ready to leave for school, to work at her job as a teacher in Manassas Virginia. My dad went to work at his fire department, Dulles International Airport, early in the morning. He remembers watching Flight 77 taking off at the runway.

Business went as usual at the department. After roll call, they set about with gear maintenance, and small jobs. Then around 9:00am, one of my dad's friends turned on the TV, and was shocked to see the Twin Towers in flames. The whole department was empty, except for that one breakroom with the TV. A few were in tears, a few with blank expressions, all shocked to see what was happening. One of his friends said, "My God, we are at war". Everyone knew what he meant.

Soon after 9:30, they learned that the Pentagon was hit. The chief yelled out that they were going. They were called to the Pentagon.

My dad threw on his gear, and called my mom who was in hysterics. When he said he was going to the Pentagon, she was understandably upset. Then the entire fire station left towards the wreckage of the Pentagon.

My dad drove one of the trucks there, and helped stop the blaze, and ensure folks got out. He, along with several of his fire fighter friends, volunteered to help search for dead or wounded people. All night long, my dad would tag body parts - half burned entrails, arms, legs, and pieces of someones head. My dad didn't sleep for almost a week after that. Neither did my mom.

My dad never told me this, it was my mom. She said that he didn't even tell her everything he saw.

A few days ago, one of my dads close friends who was with him at the Pentagon, died due to not wearing a proper face mask, and getting cancer.

My dad went outside this morning at 5:30, and he has been slowly working on small projects. He wants nothing to do with the TV today, and he just wants to be let alone. I can honestly say, that this event changed his life.

Remember 9/11

GB1

Gold Member
Jul 12, 2017
East TX
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknectics eurotek pro
bounty hunter time ranger
bounty hunter quick draw 2
used a teroso compadre.
Primary Interest:
Other
thank you for your service

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Mike,
My experience with Lackland AFB and disasters:
I was finishing paperwork getting out of BT at Lackland on 22Nov63.
With the event of that day, I thought WW III might begin. I was scared....you know what.
Thank you for your post--and service.
Don....

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
....:sadsmiley:

Attachments

• moto.jpg
    moto.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 911memorial 088.jpg
    911memorial 088.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 63
  • terry1b.jpg
    terry1b.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 66
OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
A bittersweet day, hanging it up after almost 23 years. Was medically Retired, would have rather been deploying............

5003_1133210370594_1632826_n-1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Arriving home, December 2001, after Task Force Swords mission was considered completed and successful. Our aircraft followed a few days later, we went home on a C-141 as self loading baggage.

10398876_1160411929630_7513183_n-1.jpg

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My Granddaughter just graduated basc at Lackland, AFB, and has been assigned to Shaw AFB, Combined Air and Space Operations Center and Detachment 1, 609th Air Operations Center.:headbang:

OP
OP
Retired Sarge

Retired Sarge

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2009
Panama City Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
My Granddaughter just graduated basc at Lackland, AFB, and has been assigned to Shaw AFB, Combined Air and Space Operations Center and Detachment 1, 609th Air Operations Center.:headbang:

Awesome, thank you for her service and for yall for having a selfless and patriotic granddaughter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread