Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Donald Gerald Knight, was born December 1, 1942. He passed away March 1, 2020 He enlisted into the Navy when he was 17. He completed Basic Training at the Naval Training Center in San Diego and then headed to Norfolk, VA for Radar School in 1959 and was soon awarded Radarman 1st Class.

In 1964, he was transferred to the USS Turner Joy, a destroyer. During his time on the USS Turner Joy he served 3 tours in Vietnam. He and his ship were part of history: the Gulf of Tonkin war. He was awarded a Presidential Commendation by President Johnson, the Navy Unit Citation by the Secretary of the Navy, and the Vietnam Service Medal for his actions during the Gulf of Tonkin.

After 2 more years overseas, he took an assignment as an instructor in 1967 at the Fleet Anti-Air Warfare Training Center/Fleet Computer on Point Loma. In January 1970, he took his Honorable discharge for giving 10.5 years active service.

His love for the ocean brought him to many more adventures. In his 2-man yellow submarine he found the 'Brother Jonathan', off the coast of California, the vessel with the largest loss of life on the West Coast. Also found in the ship were $20 US gold coins; at least one may have been sold for $100,000.

He never gave up Hope, Perseverance. He always went to the top for anything. 'No' was not in his vocabulary. He loved the United States Navy.

Rest in peace my friend, your watch is over.
Don........

Last edited:

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rest in peace Mr. Knight!

U.B.