He Thanked ME for MY Service!!!

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
In March, I drove from my home in Mexico for a three week visit to family in the USA.
Three weeks became 10 months before I escaped to my home. We were in a retirement mobile home park in a 42 year old mobile home, almost all of that ten months. We did try to walk around the park at night when no one was out and about much.

But, one day during daylight, I walked and a vet in a beautiful old Caddy convertible passed me and pulled in under his sun roof, I guess you call it. I noticed he had Purple Heart plates, so as I walked past, I spoke to him, thanking him for his service.

We then had a short conversation. I told him I had served two years in the Sixties, but felt like it didn’t mean much, because while so many were going through terrible times in VN, I was lounging around the Crash Rescue squad room at Gray Air Base at Fort Lewis.

He immediately said my view was not correct, that it is normal for only 1 of 10 people to actually go to combat, that I did what I was assigned as support. Then he thanked me for my service.

That really touched me. As a wounded soldier he took the time to thank me for my service. That was the first time in 54 years anyone ever thanked me for my service.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is correct, no matter where you served you signed your name on the blank check that could have been cashed at anytime for any amount up to and including your life.

Thank you for your service.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
And I say "thank you for your service".

It's been 50 years ago for me, and I've yet to have anyone thank me for my service. Great to hear someone has recognized you, ain't it about time ???

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

It's been 50 years ago for me, and I've yet to have anyone thank me for my service. Great to hear someone has recognized you, ain't it about time ???

Hard for people to thank you when you stay up in that holler my friend :notworthy: :tongue3:.......

I have been thanked for my service many times in the last 20 years, very little in the 70s, 80s and 90s except from other soldiers I met, anytime I saw a soldier in uniform I went up and thanked them, bought those who would except a drink.

GopherDaGold

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2009
St. Charles County, Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Bounty Hunter Land Star, Teknetics Delta 4000, Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Let me have the honor to be the first. Thank you for your service!

SeabeeRon

Bronze Member
Aug 5, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA.
Detector(s) used
ML Sov GT; Whites MXT & Surf PI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post piegrande!

Though I served almost a full four years, '69 - '73, I never got orders to Nam while others around me did. Luck of the draw, who knows?!?

It has bothered me as well and always make it a point to say I am a Viet Nam ERA Vet rather than a Viet Nam Vet.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Hard for people to thank you when you stay up in that holler my friend

Well shucks! But TH, it's safe up here :) And this is my home from birth - almost every time I go out in the forest around me I find new things to delight me. At this stage of my life all I want is peace, where life itself is a continuing battle which I've successfully avoided :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well shucks! But TH, it's safe up here :) And this is my home from birth - almost every time I go out in the forest around me I find new things to delight me. At this stage of my life all I want is peace, where life itself is a continuing battle which I've successfully avoided :)

I grew up in the country, 40 yards and I was in the woods. If I wasn't so tired of moving I would...:icon_thumright: I have moved 28 times in my adult life 25 times due to my telecom career, I'm tired of moving. It took Atlas Van Lines 18 wheeler to move from Missouri to current home ... I like where I'm living, living on lake and not have to pay lake front property taxes is hard to beat...Great view and can go fishing....You been here so you know what I'm saying.

SD51

Silver Member
Aug 24, 2016
MI
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

And I want to thank both of you for your service!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I'd just about trade my sanctuary for yours! That's not in our cards though. You likely wouldn't like my driveway :)

Not if I had to shovel or plow any snow. Done enough of that to last a life time. We actually had frost on windshield over Christmas my neighbors said ( I was in NC.) First time in at least 10 years.

I searched and found this video below, not sure if it is the same location as your holler but if it is it is you live in a beautiful area.

I love the mountains, use to live in Colorado and spent many a vacation camping in the mountains, easily over 30 weeks over my lifetime camping out west, I have visited and or camped in many National Park west of Mississippi river. One vacation alone lasted 7 weeks, we toured Wyoming, Idaho, Washington State, Oregon, California, Utah and Nevada.

Last edited:

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Ain't watched it yet, but Yes My Friend, this is where I hide :)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ain't watched it yet, but Yes My Friend, this is where I hide :)

Beautiful area, save the video and you can repost the beautiful area you live in.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey my very old friend - you know me, Kinda like being absolutely invisible.

YOU will always be absolutely welcome any day, any time, down my holler :)

I could show so much, but ya know I really can't. I'm one old time very paranoid individual.

Errrr.... Too much Al K Holl - sure was good tasting, but sometimes we talk too much!!!!

Last edited:

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post piegrande!

Though I served almost a full four years, '69 - '73, I never got orders to Nam while others around me did. Luck of the draw, who knows?!?

It has bothered me as well and always make it a point to say I am a Viet Nam ERA Vet rather than a Viet Nam Vet.

I'm a Viet Nam ERA vet as well. My ball cap says so and I do get a lot of thank yous. No matter what branch of service or where you served, GOD BLESS YOU AND THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICE!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm sitting upstairs in my sanctuary - ain't nobody coming up to see me. And I'm listening to all this crap Mom's listening to downstairs......

It would be great if I could throw a grenade downstairs, but it is what it is. I'm not even sure my pecker works anymore!!!!!

We got some serious disappointment going on here.

Me? Just what do I got left anymore?

troutbum

Sep 14, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXt 505, Tesoro Sand shark, Whites coinmaster pro. Tesoro Compadre.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post piegrande!

Thanks for your service Ron. I told you guys I did a year in Nam, but without the support guys I never would have made my 12 months. I volinteered for Nam , I was married, that didn't last long with me gone.lol. The thing is you served your country. So big whup, I can go to a VFW. I think everyone who seved can go now anyway.:jim: Oh,I'm hunter 12 form the other forum.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also say... Thanks for your service.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I'm sitting upstairs in my sanctuary - ain't nobody coming up to see me. And I'm listening to all this crap Mom's listening to downstairs......

It would be great if I could throw a grenade downstairs, but it is what it is. I'm not even sure my pecker works anymore!!!!!

We got some serious disappointment going on here.

Me? Just what do I got left anymore?

I left Texas the day after Christmas. I was totally miserable, 10 months essentially in prison. I drove to Texas, but with terrible insomnia did not feel I could drive 850 miles across Mexico. So, a nephew who drives those big double trailer rigs over 50,000 miles a year in the mountains of Mexico met us in Reynosa and drove us home. I did not realize how bad a shape I was in until I crossed the border. Fifteen minutes later, I felt like a totally different person.

And, this was in the most dangerous part of all Mexico, Reynosa, Tamaulipas.

Thanks to all for your stories. And, thanks to all for your service.

OP
OP
P

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
Great post piegrande!

I expected to go to Viet Nam. My MOS was as firefighter, and they were badly needed over there. But, Gray Air base was back up alternate landing strip for Seattle Tacoma International airport, and that area has a lot of fog at times. At one time, they were short of Crash Rescue men at Gray, and the Ft. Lewis General got his backside chewed out by the FAA or somebody like that. So, he issued an order that his CR men were not to be levied for VN. Those poor lads in Forest took it in the shorts.

We also did not need to wear combat boots with our fatigue uniforms, so we could jump into our rubber boots and asbestos outfits. And, when they drove us to HHC for meals, we got to go go the front of the mess hall line as long as we had on our CR badges, so we could be ready for the next van trip. And, we had 24 on then 24 off, and every two weeks an extra day off, which meant a three day off every two weeks.

The best thing is at that time Gray had never had a plane crash, not even during WWII. So, when I say lounging around, I am serious. McChord, next door, had a lot of bad things happening.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread