Old Veterans Organizations Are Fading Away

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
https://www.wsj.com/articles/old-ve...ing-foreign-wars-memorial-service-11632408009

Soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines don?t join the VFW and American Legion like they used to

I must confess, I went to them places for a while. Mostly I found just a bunch of drunks = haven't been to one in many years.

Peggy Randle is 85 and lives alone with her cat, Max, in Boulder City, Nev. She also fires rifles at veterans? funerals. A nurse in the Navy during the Vietnam War, Ms. Randle belongs to the Veterans of Foreign Wars and other organizations that help provide military honors when soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines are laid to rest.

?The cat isn?t much of a conversationalist,? she says, ?and I still have something to give. I can still stand up there and fire that M1. I can still help with the 13 flag-fold. I can still do all of those things, and I?m going to do them as long as I can.?

Veterans across the country report the same experience: declining membership in the VFW and American Legion, and the difficulty putting together honor guards for funerals. The VFW had its origin in 1899 gatherings of veterans of the Spanish-American War. The American Legion began after World War I, at a 1919 meeting in Paris. Both started as essentially interest groups but quickly grew into vast national networks of local social clubs.

Those clubs would host civic programs such as essay contests, Friday fish fries and scholarships for veterans? children. The American Legion?s summer baseball program was once so extensive that few high schools bothered to organize their own teams, and more than 3,400 local teams are still active today.

The VFW has around 1.5 million members, a drop of a million from 1992. The average age is 67, with 400,000 members over 80. The largest organization of veterans? clubs, the American Legion, has two million members, down from 3.3 million in 1946. Kenneth Hagemann, 59, is a retired Marine and deputy adjutant of the VFW in New Jersey. There are 218 posts left in the state, he explained, but ?in 10 years, I think it will be 175. We go down every year.?

One reason is simply the decline in numbers of veterans. During World War II, according to the Department of Veterans Affairs, 16.5 million Americans served in the armed forces. Estimates of those who served in the war on terror over the past 20 years hover around three million.

There?s another reason the old organizations are fading: Younger veterans simply don?t join clubs the way older generations did. Partly this reflects a general decline in community organizations?the sociological transformation that Robert Putnam observed in his 2000 book, ?Bowling Alone.? Americans aren?t joiners. Not like they once were.

But the VFW and American Legion are also shrinking because many veterans from the past 20 years carry with them a more ambiguous sense of both their military experience and their relation to established American institutions. ?Vets now don?t look for comfort in person at clubs,? said Alexia Hodgson, an Army second lieutenant in Anchorage, Alaska. Social media, she suggested, fills some of the gap. ?A lot of vets I know . . . talk about their life and experiences, both in and out of the military, over Reddit, Discord and Twitter. ?

?My generation engages in a different way,? added the novelist Phil Klay, a retired Marine and winner of the 2014 National Book Award for his short stories about military service in Iraq. ?We tend to be more issue-focused than the old local organizations??and yet, he admits, ?it?s important to keep memories alive through local rituals.? The difficulty in providing honor guards, he said, symbolizes a worrisome detachment of his generation from local communities. When younger veterans do join a group, they tend toward newer and more service-inspired national organizations such as Team Red, White & Blue or Team Rubicon.

Something important is lost, however, when the local connection is broken. ?I was still on active duty when my grandfathers passed away, and I went to the funerals in uniform,? said Josh Hauser, a former Marine staff sergeant in Hollsopple, Pa. ?That was the first time I realized who takes care of this very important thing, because it was a local VFW that did the military honors.?

And what will happen when those old veterans? clubs are gone? The social-club model simultaneously integrated veterans into the local community and gave them a sense of national importance. ?I sometimes can?t comprehend how we?re able? to get to all the funerals, said Robert Garlow, honor-guard commander for VFW Post 36 in Nevada. ?Yeah, we feel stretched thin, but it?s something we really want to do.? Consciously or not, they?re right to feel a personal and sociological significance in what they do. The old local community organizations understood the importance of attending funerals to comfort the family and honor the service of the dead.

?They?ve earned it,? Ms. Randle explained. ?And maybe someday someone will think I?ve earned it, too.?

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Nearest V.F.W. closed one direction. Then the other direction.
Legion is advertising for prospective sons of legionnaires....

I wondered a while back where the most recent decade of Vets has been in regards.
your article has some clues...

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for that Deepseeker,I was once in charge of the color detail for the 6th Marine Regiment,I know my way around an honor detail.I think I,ll contact the American legion in Arkansas and see if I could help there.Thanks for the inspiration!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are still popular here in Orlando. I don't go much now because I don't want to get pulled over for drinking and carrying firearm. 2 beers and then water for last hour before the drve home is limit. I don't go anywhere without my firearm.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good post Deep,
It has motivated me to attend our next AL meeting in October.
After a 10AM flag ceremony on Memorial Day, it was a beeline to the bar. I didn't like that so I left.
I can relate that experience to your post.
Don.......

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I was in, during the 60's, did not go over. I joined AL for a while. Then, AL started printing angry denunciations about those terrible dead-beats who did not pay child support. Unemployment problems among vets is pretty bad, and AL did not seem to understand that unemployed vets can't pay anything, not to mention excess c/s orders which do not allow for unemployment problems. And, also a lot of vets end up divorced, and separated from their kids. Instead of helping them, AL attacks them?

Not with my annual dues, they don't.

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Happy Veterans Day to all Servicemen and Women who have served in each Branch of our Military. The Marine Corps, The Army, The Navy, The Air Force, and The Coast Guard. Reverence and Remembrance to All Those who have given Their Last Full Measure in all our wars past to Keep Us Free.

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really sad, as someone whom has much respect for veterans just sad to see stuff like this happening. In the area I live we have a few veteran halls still active. I know this because my step fathers business has done some of the catering fundraiser events for them. I also enjoyed those events the people there are always good and respectful people.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread