425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy BGT guys! I have a 30" sniper on the way, super excited and thank you very much! If classification needs to be done out of the waterway, what size should I classify to?

OP
OP
B

bazookagoldtrap

Aug 27, 2013
Coloma, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Howdy BGT guys! I have a 30" sniper on the way, super excited and thank you very much! If classification needs to be done out of the waterway, what size should I classify to?

While it isn't necessary, sometimes classifying can be useful to remove angular rock and oversize that isn't needed, or to eliminate carry weight. we'd recommend classifying to 1/2 if you choose to.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just unpacked my new Sniper (and t-shirt and bumper sticker). It all looks great guys - really solid craftsmanship on the sluice!

image-1366701293.jpg

Looking forward to getting it wet ASAP!

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
4" Dalke Original Compact Dredge, 36" BGT Prospector, 30" BGT Sniper, D&D/Brawn Super Concentrator and Highbanker top, Brawn/D&D finishing table, pans and more!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I got out and used my sniper for the first time yesterday (also my first time with a bazooka). I am absolutely amazed. The rivers are at flood stage right now, and the water comes down in surges. The guys I was out with kinda smirked when they first saw my sluice , as they all had big heavy 48" boxes with carpet and exp metal. I tell you what, the flow was inconsistent, there were waves that would come out of nowhere and hit the sluices at a 90 degree angle, and really disturbed everybody's sluice...but mine! I got good gold from just below the high water mark, and it was sooo easy compared to what these guys were going through. What a great time (even though it was raining super hard)!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
image-1160515226.jpg First run of my new Sniper...works great! Definitely handled unclassified material well and needs less water flow than the prospector while still handling a decent amount of material. The Prospector is only 8 pounds but sometimes feels like more on the hike back to the car, the Sniper is enough lighter that it made the hike out seem easier ;) It produces less than half a 14" pan of cons ...nice!

image-3210090100.jpg

The gold below the dime is from this outing: 0.18 grams - good but not great. Not nearly as much -50 gold (or other -50 heavies for that matter) as usual at this site which leaves me thinking either my setup was suboptimal or there's an issue with the Sniper fluid bed. That concern aside, I remain impressed with what this thing can do for it's size. For most applications I would say this is better than the supermini...more "research" to follow.

Last edited:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Update, I ran some more material from the same hole with my trusty Prospector and got the same ratio of fine to less-fine gold so I guess that's just what's in that spot. The Sniper is therefore declared THE WINNER! Great sluice, especially for its size and weight :)

DevildogID

Jun 10, 2014
SW Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just received 24" Sniper with free gift. Thank you. First outing will be packing into Idaho back country. Can't wait!

vaquero44

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2009
Maine
Detector(s) used
Deep Tech Vista RG 1000, Deep Tech Vista Gold, Deep Tech RELIC, Garrett prop pointer.....bazooka gold 36" gold trap, Angus MacKirk Grubstake sluice, my version of mikes trommel, echo crevice vac, Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love my 30" sniper!

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have now used my sniper for 3 months, and loved it so mulch I got a prospector too. Having both makes high and low flow easy to conquer.

Production is up...classifying is down...more gold is good!

Cope30tyee

Tenderfoot
Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm looking at getting the sniper 30 or 36. With water flow not being an issue, how fast can I run a 5 gallon bucket of unclassified material through it.

Thanks!

Cope

lucky313

Aug 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just looking for some feedback.
Im in Ohio and have been practicing our 30" sniper setup and panning, for a trip out west in some of the streams here (we are near glacier till) and have been able to "produce" black sand, iron and some quartz. If we are able to produce black sand and heavies here are we on the right track?

I understand how the trap and liquid bed works but do you guys get a little nervous by not cleaning out the trap. How long are you guys going without cleaning out the trap?

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always get the biggest one you can afford, that's my motto, lol.
Can't speak to how fast the sniper will process a 5 gallon bucket, Miner is 30 seconds, Prospector is about a Minute, if the formulae runs true you should be looking at a couple of minutes for a 5 gallon bucket. (Going by what hisself Todd said in his youtube video.) Hopefully BGT or Kevinincolorado can chime in with the correct answer. Man I have to get one of these so I can answer these questions! :)

lucky313:
Don't be nervous! you have to learn how to tell when the fluid bed is locked. Finger the backend after you run just a little bit of dirt, it won't bounce around your finger but you can tell it's not packed. Take your sluice straight out of the water, now feel it, should be much more resistance on your finger. If you can tell the difference you can test it every so often while it's in production.

Best of luck! Post some pictures of your units in action!
Get the Gold!
P70

425jesse

Feb 10, 2013
Mountlake Terrace
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Exactly what Prospector70 said. You will get a grasp on how the fluid bed feels after you have done the in the water/out of water test. Sniper is a great sluice.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Agree P70 is right on target again! A couple minutes per 5 gal bucket for the sniper. I set the bucket of unclassified material right next to the sluice, tip it over toward the sluice and just paw the material in. Chasing the occasional oversized rock over the grizzly as they come. Goes really fast compared to classifying and using a treasure scoop to feed a traditional riffle sluice :)

Oh, and P70, let's meet up soon so you can try running my Sniper :)

JCgold

Tenderfoot
Nov 23, 2014
Well South Africa has a new toy today !!! 30" Sniper arrived and super excited to get it out there and see it working. Thanks Guys.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well South Africa has a new toy today !!! 30" Sniper arrived and super excited to get it out there and see it working. Thanks Guys.
congrats and remember run it steep enough that at least golf ball sized rocks clear the sluice without help!

Last edited:

JCgold

Tenderfoot
Nov 23, 2014
Hi Kevin

Thanks a lot, I will doing that tomorrow when I give it a go down at our spot. I have learnt a lot from guys like you and others reading all the posts, so lets hope the yellow shines tomorrow !!!

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi Kevin Thanks a lot, I will doing that tomorrow when I give it a go down at our spot. I have learnt a lot from guys like you and others reading all the posts, so lets hope the yellow shines tomorrow !!!
great, remember to take pics!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread