pods

Feb 18, 2014
Raleigh
Detector(s) used
BGT mini and prospector, Gold-n-Sand.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Okay, question to any prospector owners or BGT. I had my 36" out last night on my storm creek. Basically the sluice is oversized for the creek and that is why I have the mini. But dumping shovels of material instead of 1/2" classified material was too good to pass up.
One thing I noted was the added time clearing material off the skid. That can be handled with a flare that I have from the mini (two pieces clamped on).
But the trap didn't seem to want to clear very quickly so I had a thought.
It looks like the pipes going in are 1/2" cpvc, anyone measured? (of BGT)
What I was going to do was to buy some 1/2" to 3/4" slip adapter bushings to increase the pressure in the trap in low flow conditions. That way I can run the sluice in less than optimum conditions and not risk losing gold over the top of the fluid bed (which I did last night, my fault though). And it would not involve permanently modifying the sluice.
I could go from 1/2 to 3/4 and 3/4 to 1" if needed just through some adapters. I can take them off as needed by conditions.
Thoughts anyone?

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I love my prospector but it is not the right tool for every job. It seems like it would be easier to just use the mini if you dont have enough flow for the prospector.

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I called in sick today to shovel into my prospector 48" for 5 good hours. (70 in Denver today)
There is some good gold in the little blue cons bucket, I'll post a pic/weight when I can move again.
I had it set up perfectly, went to my bag to get my phone and I had left it in the car, so no pics sorry.
I shoveled my ass off the whole time, I can barely hold my arms up to the keyboard to type. :)
Last few shovels of the day left me a shiny beat up river worn penny sitting on the upper deck right up front, my heart skipped a beat thinking it was an old gold coin. You can barely tell its a penny.

Pods: Sounds like you need faster water, less modifications, bigger wing dam. More drop and water flow. <3

Rdg Sluicer

Dec 11, 2012
Redding, Ca
Detector(s) used
BGT Prospector

BGT Super Mini

Angus MacKirk Explorer

South Yuba Mining Highbanker
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I have heard a lot of different info on how often to do clean outs. Some say they go all day and just clean out once while others clean out every hours or so. I am curious as to what the manufacture suggests? Obviously if you have a ton of black sand you would probably want to clean out more but I am just wondering generally speaking how often would you recommend cleaning out. Thanks

OP
OP
B

bazookagoldtrap

Aug 27, 2013
Coloma, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I have heard a lot of different info on how often to do clean outs. Some say they go all day and just clean out once while others clean out every hours or so. I am curious as to what the manufacture suggests? Obviously if you have a ton of black sand you would probably want to clean out more but I am just wondering generally speaking how often would you recommend cleaning out. Thanks

This is a very common question.
I look at the material to be run... is it round? or flat and angular ? the size and percentages of heavy's and the size of gold looking to retain. In ideal situations... round sandy light cons bigger gold i go all day... 3-4 buckets per clean out is for lots of coarse black sand and irregular rocks.

-Todd

afreakofnature

Nov 16, 2010
So we are now half way into March and on your blog you were hoping that the highbanker kits might be shipping out. Got any status on them or can you tell us anything about them. I am holding off on buying or building a highbanker to see what you have first. I have a a 1 1/4" keene/honda pump ready to rock this baby with my prospector model. Will it work with your kit? Any info?. I am hoping it is a nice durable kit that you can repeatedly shovel into like most larger highbankers, and not like something I have seen on youtube for mods to their bazookas.

OP
OP
B

bazookagoldtrap

Aug 27, 2013
Coloma, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So we are now half way into March and on your blog you were hoping that the highbanker kits might be shipping out. Got any status on them or can you tell us anything about them. I am holding off on buying or building a highbanker to see what you have first. I have a a 1 1/4" keene/honda pump ready to rock this baby with my prospector model. Will it work with your kit? Any info?. I am hoping it is a nice durable kit that you can repeatedly shovel into like most larger highbankers, and not like something I have seen on youtube for mods to their bazookas.

All I can tell you is the Prospector highbanker kit will be unveiled at the ICMJ Mining Summit in April. It's durable, and can take a beating. Some of the mods on youtube aren't too far off the mark, there is only so many ways to skin a cat.

afreakofnature

Nov 16, 2010
All I can tell you is the Prospector highbanker kit will be unveiled at the ICMJ Mining Summit in April. It's durable, and can take a beating. Some of the mods on youtube aren't too far off the mark, there is only so many ways to skin a cat.

The mods I have seen on youtube seem to have the gravel pile up and you still have to move it by hand. But I might not have seen them all. I was thinking more like a trad. highbanker where you can just shovel, and shovel and shovel. Will my pump work with this kit?

OP
OP
B

bazookagoldtrap

Aug 27, 2013
Coloma, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
What is the current fullfilment time on a 36" Prospector?

Average Fulfillment the last two weeks on 36" Prospectors is 12 days to your door. Those and all Sniper models are selling twice as fast as we can produce them. We're working on a few things to gain efficiency in production, but probably won't have it all worked out until the end of next month.

OP
OP
B

bazookagoldtrap

Aug 27, 2013
Coloma, California
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The mods I have seen on youtube seem to have the gravel pile up and you still have to move it by hand. But I might not have seen them all. I was thinking more like a trad. highbanker where you can just shovel, and shovel and shovel. Will my pump work with this kit?

Your pump should be perfect.

Jdrasberry

Greenie
Aug 27, 2013
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200, White's Bullseye 140mm
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I look forward to its arrival! I'm glad you are selling a fantastic product and that you have lots of customers!

Jdrasberry

Greenie
Aug 27, 2013
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200, White's Bullseye 140mm
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Average Fulfillment the last two weeks on 36" Prospectors is 12 days to your door. Those and all Sniper models are selling twice as fast as we can produce them. We're working on a few things to gain efficiency in production, but probably won't have it all worked out until the end of next month.

My Prospector arrived quicker than your estimate. I even found some colors the first time out with it!

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I have used my sluice about 20 times. I run 10 to 20 buckets per day and have never done a clean up except for the one at the end of the day. The closest I ever came was a 3/4 trap of black sand. Usually it is less than 1/4 black sand

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
008-1.jpg

Prospector70

Nov 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Bazooka Gold Trap 48", Keene A51 sluices and a
Number 2 Shovel baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg
Last Friday, fast and furious in a new location on the Platte. Got two small buckets from a couple locations to pan still.

<3

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How did this turn out P70?

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought prior to owning a BgT, that water flow may be the largest hurdle when running the sluice..but it seems my grizleys Always get backed up with rocks and pebbles, forcing me to manually wipe away the "excess buildup" 2-3 times per 5Gal bucket.
Am. I doing something incorrectly? Am I losing gold by pushing the rocks away by hand??

That traps sure fills quickly....

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I thought prior to owning a BgT, that water flow may be the largest hurdle when running the sluice..but it seems my grizleys Always get backed up with rocks and pebbles, forcing me to manually wipe away the "excess buildup" 2-3 times per 5Gal bucket. Am. I doing something incorrectly? Am I losing gold by pushing the rocks away by hand?? That traps sure fills quickly....
1. If the grizzly is backing up you can run the sluice a bit steeper, that'll do the trick.
2. No you won't lies gold by pushing rocks ...as long as you just push stuff downstream off the grizzly And back upstream on the deck for stuff above the grizzly.
3. Yes the trap gills immediately, it's supposed to as that forms the 'bed'. If you stick a finger in while the sluice is in place you'll find that the bed is fairly loose. If HARD packed, do a clean out and re-setup with a bit more drop.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread