I love big storms - UPDATE: The appraisal is IN!

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Update info: Drumroll please. Scroll down to topic #31 to see the verdict!

Hello everyone,

Last week we had a big Nor'easter come through. For an entire week the winds were out of the northeast, and the beach was very generous for a little while. On Saturday, September 20th, I found an 1884s Morgan Dollar. In addition to that, 90% of the coins I dug this week were very corroded - shows that there was erosion, and that what I was finding was old. I managed to get in 12 hunts at low tide over 9 days, and of them, about 9 were great for target density. Managed over 100 targets a trip several times, and 5-7 bucks in clad was common. All in all, that week was one of my best for hunting.

The storm officially passed through on Thursday. It rained and the wind was very strong all day and into the night. I snuck out between rain bands for about 3 hours, and it happened to clear at low tide. Found 2 rings, one of them gold, and a nice silver bracelet my wife now has. But the rain eventually came, and reluctantly, I left my honeyhole.

Come Friday, I was planning to get up early enough to be out well ahead of low tide. I knew that with a storm like that, the window was going to be very small for good hunts. Low tide was at noon, and guess what time I woke up. 11:30 am. DOH! I kicked myself very hard, and the wife as well(who happens to be the alarm clock). On any other day, I would have stated home. But, because of the storm, I forced myself out the door, upset and a little disgruntled at the lost time.

Was pleased to find the beach nice and low, and decided to leave my honeyhole for the first time all week. So, I strolled on along the beach, and worked the water and surf for a while. After about 10 blocks, I hit the area around the Pier fairly well, and turned to head home. I talked to a hunter by the Pier who was on his way home(as it was 2 hours past low tide at this point). He had very little to show for the day, only clad. I decided to work the coin line on the way home - hoping there would be one at all. The beach was so wide from the storm, I did not know if I could find a good target line. Well, no sooner than I started, I started hitting patches of coins here and there.

As I was scooting along, I noticed another hunter coming up behind me, working a similar line. So I doubled back and talked to him. He had no goodies either - bummer. We chatted for a bit, and off I went again, heading back torwards home. About 15 minutes later, I saw another hunter. He broke the handle on his scoop, and was struggling along with just the basket. And, once again, he had no goodies. We chatted for a bit, and when we were done, he turned off his machine and headed back to his hotel. Bear in mind he was walking torwards me before we met and he was working the same line I was more or less.

So, after he left, I cranked the Excal back up, and headed on down again. Not 50 feet from that spot, I had another signal. I honestly don't recall much more, except that I dug at least once(of course), and once the target was out of the scoop, I kicked the sand. It was then that I saw it. There, laying before me, was a ring.

I picked it up, and immediately noticed how heavy it was. Very heavy. Then, as I started removing sand, I saw the stones. Lots of stones. Once in the middle, and lots of smaller ones on the side. I looked the ring over, and could not see any marks on the band. Knowing little about it, I stuck it in my goodie pocket, and kept on truckin.

I stayed on the beach for another couple hours. I wanted to be sure and use as much time as I could, since the beach was in great shape for hunting. And then, on home I went. Once I got home, I put on my unhappy face, and said hello to the wife.

"How did it go?" She asked.
"Not well, not much clad, and only one little ring," Said I.
"Oh, I am sorry to hear that."

I then went about my normal routine. Set the Excal in the corner, and started emptying my finds bag into the sand strainer in the sink. She turned to look at something on the table, and I walked up behind her, pulled out the ring, and put it right in front of her face. She almost fell down(maybe not, it is hard to recall it all. But it sounds good, right? :)) I washed it off, and looked closer, and saw a mark. And let me say I am sure that when I read it, I scared the hell out of my neighbors. The mark of 18k with so many shiny white stones meant only one thing: THE REAL THING BABY!!!!

The dance and hollering that ensued were most embarrassing. I recall hugging the wife, picking her up and swinging her around in the air with arms, legs and hair flying around hitting furniture, walls, etc. I was ecstatic. This was the dream find I had been hoping for, but, there was that little grain of doubt about the stones. Were they real? They looked too nice. I am used to the too nice stones being fakes, so that little bit of doubt was eating me all night.

The next day, we took it to my local jeweler, and had the stones tested. DIAMONDS ALL!!! I was ecstatic. I left the ring with her to be cleaned, and only today was it finished. I did not want to post anything about this until the ring was clean, and I am glad I waited. I will let the pictures speak for themselves. Tomorrow evening I will have the ring appraised, and I am on pins and needles.

I hope every single one of you has the opportunity, timing, and luck to find something of this beauty and value. This is a great feeling, and I cannot imagine ever finding something so nice again. I feel sorrow for whoever lost this ring, but, I am ecstatic for my gain.

Thank you for reading,
Anthony

Attachments

• whopper1.JPG
    whopper1.JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 6,613
  • whopper2.JPG
    whopper2.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 6,594
  • whopper3.JPG
    whopper3.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 6,620
  • whopper4.JPG
    whopper4.JPG
    39.4 KB · Views: 6,574
  • whopper5.JPG
    whopper5.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 6,564
  • whopper6.JPG
    whopper6.JPG
    43 KB · Views: 6,557
Upvote 0

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I love big storms

What a beautiful ring. And very valuable, I'll get. Congrats!

karib2517

Jan 18, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab X50 : Another world inches below us.

Holy crappp,what a find!!!!!!!! what are you gonna do with it?does the wife get it? that must of been the best feeling ever.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awsome find !!!

Congrats !

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006

Dang all I ever get from he sand is junk and seaeed
Conrgatulations and beautiful find

fldaphne

May 27, 2008
Gulfcoast of Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Beach Hunter ID

That is absolutely gorgeous! Makes me want to go out and smash my metal detector for not finding me one - just kidding - one day (and somewhere over the rainbow)........

So CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!

Attachments

• congratulations.gif
    congratulations.gif
    31.9 KB · Views: 6,669

VBDave

Aug 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Tesoro Vaquero
I gotta tell ya, Anthony...

From reading your posts, including your PMs to me, we have about the same amount of MD experience, BUT the light is shining on you!!! I'd kill to have your luck (or Karma...or skill...or whatever).

I've been hoping to run into you, just so I can shake your hand and hope that some of whatever you're dripping out of your pores might find its way into my empty palm!

Way to go!

VBDave
"I'm here for a good time, not a long time..."

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter

DUDE! DUDE! that is just way to cool. That ring is the ring. Good job!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils

Whoah!!!! Anthony, that is quite an amazing ring!! :o :o :o :o

Major congrats to you, buddy!! That is a dream find for every detectorist out there.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

T

TreasurdiggrNY

THAT is a killer ring, absolutely amazing. Congratulations Anthony WTG :thumbsup:
Glenn

JoeSWFla

Jun 15, 2007

Now that's a nice ring.You can certainly do the happy dance with that one.Congrats.

T

trish76642

Good gosh thats georgous!
Bet you almost have to wear sun glasses to look at it!
Absolutely Beautiful!

Great story telling too i might add, kept my attention to the very end! lol :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac

Thank you for the compliment. Glad to know the story was enjoyed, and not endured.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That is one cool ring!

HH
-GC

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

might be the find of the summer here or at least no 2 - damn close race

i like it

u see what that epoxy does for u

finderzzs

Bronze Member
May 2, 2007
Sunny South Florida
Detector(s) used
White's PI Pro Dual Field, Garrett Ace 350,

Man dude. That is one awesome ring. :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: My hat's off to you my friend. Congrats. :thumbsup:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Killer ring :o :occasion14: :thumbsup: I think you just inspired me to go back to the beach.

No need to be embarrassed about the dancing and hollering, it was well within your right to celebrate. That's a once, maybe twice in a lifetime find. I will advise though, be careful with the swinging of the wife into furniture and such, we don't want anybody getting hurt. ;D Congrats :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread