FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't matter where you go, you could hunt in a mud puddle as long as there is a lot of people there swimming. Check around and find your busiest beaches where there are a lot of folks in the water swimming and playing around and that's your spot.

If there is no one in the water then there will be no jewelry to find......

Northern Lights

Sep 15, 2008
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
Bill is right, you got to follow the crowds, where they swim, if there is not much at the popular beaches try the not so ovious, like dead end roads that lead to a beach, ask the locals " if you wanted to go swimming, somewhere but not the popular beach, where would you go ? " find out where the college kids like to beach party, sometimes it's off the beaten track, away from the authorities.

tc

MONGO

Aug 23, 2008
Fla Bill and North Lts gave great advice but I might add to do some historical research for areas that may have been used in the past. BELIEVE me there is stuff in the water you just have to sniff it out and its just like golf, all you need is one good hole (with a gold ring in it) to make you want to return again and again.
HH

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The others gave excellent advice on where to go. Many of the spots out in deeper water haven't been searched by most of the water hunters and the ones that do aren't through or use to much disc. In some of the bays a raft or float was used in years past or diving from a boat anchored in deeper water.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes I go and targets are everywhere, others times they are few and far between. There are also times when I am hunting and nada for hours, then its like the floor opens up and starts spitting out coins. If your not finding it in one area move out deeper or in closer and walk a straight line, if you go along for a while and not find anything move over 3-4 foot and try again. If your lucky you will hit a coin line. Also consider someone may have already beat you to it.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Biggest question that hasn`t been asked is, what detector are you using?

It could be you have the disc too high or the sens too low or both.

Water work is the last fronteer for us, there are beach hunters a dime a dozen working the beach from the tide line up so that leaves us the wet stuff, it is not easy, I WANT TO SAY THAT AGAIN, it is not easy working the water, one you can`t see where the coil is to locate, second is trying to scoop in the water, third is the waves slapping and moving you around, hope that gives u a lil idea that all us water hunters face.

It takes time and alot of new people get discourged and go back to fighting for a spot on the dry sand area. But if you put the time in, and i do mean time it will reward you in the end.
I don`t even work the dry sand areas anymore, not only do you have to compete with everyone else but you have to beat the beach rakers.

Alot of people cannot get the swing of locating (targetting) a signal much less scooping, one lil trick for you run your detector wide open dig every signal (soon you will learn what not to dig, but i have always dug anything i heard) once you locate a signal place your foot next to the coil, that gives you a starting point for placing your scoop, to scoop the target. I swing with my right arm so after locating a target i place my left foot beside the coil, move the coil, then place the scoop along the inside of my foot to start the bite into the sand, i use a small coil that locates 1/2 inch off the ft of the coil so with the scoop resting against my foot and the back of the basket against my ankle i know i am starting in exactly the right direction that the coil was.

Jeramy_Pal12

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i went 4 times shallow salt water metal detecting and i only found like 2 pennies. it seems that underwater metal detecting in water is a waste of time. whats a better place to go to under water metal detecting a salt water bay or a salt water ocean? Any tips were to metal detect in the ocean? Thanks

Shallow salt water metal detecting is not too much meaning, deep ocean meatl detecting can be a good idea.people need to have a challenge, the same to the detector, never underestimate your metal detector,if you want to buy a good quality deep ocean (removed by mod, not a supporting vendor)

Last edited by a moderator:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread is six years old.

Top Member Reactions