MDing on Bahama Beaches

tedpank

Jun 16, 2006
Vero Beach, Florida
MD'ing on Bahama Beaches

Just came back from a cruise to Freeport and Nassau, Bahamas. Didn't do any hunting as me and the wife did this as a quick get away, but after reading so many different comments on you can and you can't, I figured I would find out myself.

In Freeport, I stopped at the Ministry of Tourism and they said absolutely NO PROBLEM at all using a hand held metal detector on any of the beaches. I also stopped at the Hilton and Westin which has an adjoining beach in Lucaya and asked security there and all said there was no Problem either. One employee told me they occasionally see someone out there with a metal detector.

In Nassau, I asked the people letting people thru the entry building from the dock and they said I would have to check with the military customs people next door who would have to clear the metal detector and I asked them and they said NO Problem.

Seeems if you want to use a hand held metal detector and you are coming off a cruise ship, or are a tourist, visitor and NOT a pro treasure hunter with other equipment, you will not run into any probelms bringing a metal detector and using it on the beaches or shallow water off the beach, in the Bahamas!

Upvote 0

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: MD'ing on Bahama Beaches

Great info to file away thanks

Trond

Mar 23, 2006
Norway
Detector(s) used
XP Goldmaxx Power.

I didn't know that. Thanks for the useful info, :thumbsup:

Chico Rico

Dec 28, 2007
Virginia

Great info!
I see you are from Vero.
I lived there for about 7 months in 2002.
Have you ever tried hunting on the intercoastal?
I know it seems that many people hit the beaches there but does anyone you know of hit the islands or water in the intercoastal?

Just curious.

OP
OP
tedpank

tedpank

Jun 16, 2006
Vero Beach, Florida

Chico, been thinking the same thing myself! Looking for a pontoon boat and hope to have one for next spring. But I agree, with the barrier islands so narrow in so many places I think the intercoastal would be an interesting place to hunt! Water is not more then 4 or 5 feet deep in most places close to the oceanside of the intercoastal!

Hoping to get back to the bahamas in jan or feb and will definetly take the m'd' with me next time. You can rent a scooter for about 50 dollars for the day and it would be the best way to get around to a number of different beaches in the bahamas ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions