Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
New Beach & SW detector

Let's suppose you could help define the next new beach/SW detector. What would you want? What are the best attributes of existing products? Cases, coils, circuitry, batteries, response, etc. What new features?

This is not just an exercise for fun, very likely it will be a new product.

- Carl

Upvote 0

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
Re: New Beach & SW detector

thats easy...just water proof a Sovereign GT..other than that i guess a good water proof PI that would discriminate and tone ID and be able to change coils and head phones..all have NIMH batt's

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Dixie and SWR nailed it for me. Being able to have a waterproof GT would do the trick. Would have to have changable coils and headphones. Most of us like different sizes of coils depending on where or what we are doing. Same goes for waterproof phones or the option to use Black Widows, Grey Ghost, etc. Make it have a separate battery compartment for the NIMH pak 1600 ah.

Having a remote for setting off the explosive charge if someone steals it. ;D

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

agree, waterproof gt... with still changeable coils.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

changeable coils, charging light along with a full charge check light, factory straight shaft, separate battery compartment, and one that will distinguish between pull tabs and gold LOL.............

OP
OP
Carl-NC

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What is a favorite case design? Garrett Seahunter/Infinium, Minelab Excal, and Fisher CZ21/1280x all have isolate battery compartments. Where do you prefer the case to be mounted? Or do you prefer chest/hip?

If you got 8-10 hrs on a charge would you want still want replaceable batteries? Charging port, perhaps through the headphone jack like Garrett?

What controls do you want access to? What do you want automated? Stick with knobs, or use a touchpad? Simple LCD for setup? Or no display at all? Single turn disc or notch-style?

Thanks!
Carl

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Like we all said like the GT or the Excalibur they can't be beat..........And if you could change the coils and head phones You could not find any better than those two...................==Jim_K==

OP
OP
Carl-NC

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jim_K said:
Like we all said like the GT or the Excalibur they can't be beat..........And if you could change the coils and head phones You could not find any better than those two...................==Jim_K==

Plugable coils & headphones are easy... what plug styles do folks like? Garrett? Tesoro? Eric Foster? I'm also interested in case specifics... I want to design a completely new case.

BTW, this is for a serious new product, not a mod or a hack... I'm an engineer at White's Electronics.

- Carl

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

To me 8 or 10 hours is not enough, sometimes I hunt longer than that. For that reason I love my beachHunter300 which gets 30 to 40 hours.....

I think the ex cal. has the best box design right now. That roundness design lets it slid through the water. That is one of my only dis likes with the 300 but then again I love the led lights....

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

again something like the excal with changeable coil and headphones....i use mine everywhere i hunt so changing to a smaller coil would help a lot....couple places I hunt have huge boulders under the surface and I cant get all the way to the lake bottom even with my 8" coil ...also stay with the knobs....touch pads are too likely to go bad....the fewer electronics that can go bad the better....you can always use pliers to turn the knob shaft in an emergency

Marty-Graw

Feb 8, 2006
Albertville Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage, Garrett Treasure Ace 300

also i would like to volunteer to test the prototype for ya....no charge lol

Beachcomber310

Mar 18, 2007
South Jersey

A Sov GT in a Whites BHID housing with changeable headphones and coils setup on a straight shaft. I would also like to volunteer to test prototypes!

HH

Beachcomber

DaChief

Bronze Member
Sep 16, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
-------(Water)------- Garrett Infinium (Relic and Coin) Minelab Sov. Elite
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would also go with the Waterproofed GT type with 180 Digital ID meter. I am assuming there is some real drawback to trying to do the meter since Minelab doesn't put it on the Excal. User interchangeable coils and earphones (like the Infinium I have now). Chest mount, so you could read the ID meter and only have the coil and shaft to deal with in the water. Maybe a sharper or narrower leading edge on the coil and on the left and right edge of the shaft for less drag in the water, (this is just me talking, I am not sure if that would make a noticeable difference in drag but I would believe it should.

I just don't like the look that the Excal has. Why Minelab could not have built the Excal in a housing like the Sovereign, I will never understand. It would have been much easier to belt or chest mount in my opinion.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008

DaChief said:
Why Minelab could not have built the Excal in a housing like the Sovereign, I will never understand.
The shape of the Excal suggests less drag under water as you're swinging left to right.

TheSleeper

Nov 25, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE/Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is a fairly old post so not sure what carl-nc has designed so far.

I sent a though design change to minelab including explanations for each change and never heard back.

Straight shaft it, strain relief coil cable at shaft and harness
Chest mount all electronics, with turn pots, squire or rectangle housing
Replaceable head phones different phones for dry or wet
Replaceable coils different sizes for different areas 8" up to 16"
Battery pack circa SD/GP style to mount on back of harness, would enable hunting multiple days without recharge.

Mounting all electronics and battery on body means less wave action fighting against you, larger battery pack means less time recharging more time hunting, also to many times normal minelab bat packs at less then 1/2 charge give false readings, the larger packs would eliminate that.

Electronic wise simplier the better, not neccessarly a PI hate digging boobie pins, actually the excal electronics or sovi, chest mounted, straight shafted with the SD/GP style batteries would make a dang good detector. Face it we are not looking for a machine that will go down 200feet, most of us work at most chest deep, so the case and battery pack would not need to be rated to 200 ft, making it easier to make it water tite.

The deep water units are allready covered, excal on short shaft, Fisher 8x & 6x BUT the wader has been passed over, having to utilize units made for deep water usage.

Anyway if you want more of the suggestions i sent to minelab send me a pm, be glad to assist you.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

one that will hit only on gold in the water including gold chains, and will never ever find a pull tab or bottle cap. ;D

steve from ohio

Aug 1, 2008

A small submersible device that would scour the sandy beach bottom while I sit on the beach with a cold one. It would be remote controlled and would have a detector activated sand dredge that would sift out any treasure.

D

digum smacks

i remember this question from last year.my answer is still the same.wireless headphones for water hunters very simple to do.smaller size transmitter built in machine or shaft higher mhz for quick response and receiver built in to headphones.heres an idea dont know if possible wireless coils,no more wrapping wire,or cuts in wire. transmitter molded into coil,also.i make my own shafts.a 1 peice shaft. no more stripping out lock downs.solid filler carbon fiber would do the trick

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008

One that comes out wiht a straight fibreglass shaft which is long, interchangeable coils/headphones, lights on the box so you can choose not to wear headphones at all (how cool would that be!), a PI that gives you more than three/four tones - it can be done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread