wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For all my beach detector friends, I have a very hot tip for beach detecting on the beaches in southern Brevard County.
The folks at Amelia Research and there distinctive recovery vessel the Polly-L have discovered a wreck that lies in what appears to be the northern end of one of the Fisher Organizations Exploration leases about 1000 feet off Spessard Holland Park in about forty feet of water, just south of Melbourne Beach in Brevard County Florida.
They believe that the wreck is a 17th or 18th Century ship based on some of the artifacts that were recovered late last week. Those artifacts include a gun, sword, pieces of ceramic and pewter, to include a large pewter platter with a small plate as a cover in the center, believed to be used for communions. Also recovered were one cannon, and a cannon ball.
It?s too early to determine if this wreck is one of the five missing ships of the famed 1715 fleet, but I will bet they are hoping that it is.
Now that the crew of the Polly-L are loosening up the bottom, all we need is a little help from Mother Nature to toss some of that up onto the beach. So the next storm that passes, grab your detector and head to Spessard Holland Park.

http://www.flatoday.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050813/NEWS01/508130333/1006

Q

Upvote 0

strobeone

Greenie
Aug 14, 2005
Hey Wreckdiver. Every year I come home for a two week visit (Palm Bay) always manage to hit the beaches in the mornings. I have been to this beach on several occasions...not many finds though. Will be more diligent in my searches now!! Let me ask you...what kind of detector and scoop do you use? Have been using a Garrett's 1250 (beach setting) mostly, but really interested in getting an excaliber for the beaches and lakes. Want to transition and expand my abilities in water searching. Also, need a scoop that can be taken apart and put in luggage. Any suggestions?? ???

OP
OP
wreckdiver1715

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Strobeone, first of all welcome to the forum. I am using the Minelab Excalibur 1000, as my detector of choice. Since all I use it for is the beaches, and diving the Excalibur has served me very well, and has more than paid for itself in finds over the years. As for scoops, I just use a hand held scoop I purchased from Kellyco. They have many different types for you to select. Since you travel with your detector, I would recommend that you also look into Pelican Cases to protect your equipment when you check your detector through the airlines.

Q

strobeone

Greenie
Aug 14, 2005
Thanks for the info and I will research that stuff and decide what works best for me. Always, carry on my detector in a garrett's form carrying case. The luggage can take the rough handling, but I don't risk the detector. Thanks, again. Strobeone

zootman

Feb 1, 2006
Hunterdon County, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites, M6, Classic III, 5900 DI Pro Plus
whenever I've I've flown out of Newark N.J. I was told I had to check my detector because it could be used as a club! TSA rules. Funny they didnt make me check my pegleg,AARRRGH!
Zootman

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the tip. :)
The link will not come up.

Dick from IA

Nov 21, 2005
Fort Dodge Iowa & Aransas Pass Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
strobeone said:
Always, carry on my detector in a garrett's form carrying case. The luggage can take the rough handling, but I don't risk the detector.

After this week's events in Great Britain, looks like you'll have to check it through from now on.

I can see why you prefer to carry it on, though.

DFIU

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread