Cold and windy on the beach - but good for detecting

GuerillaBill

Feb 12, 2008
Venice, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Minelab Excalibur II, Whites BeachHunter 300
We had record low temps in Florida overnight, and a pretty stiff breeze on the beach.

As I was out there detecting this morning, I was getting some strange looks from the few other people on the beach - who must have thought I was insane to be out there on the beach with wind chills in the mid 20s, and what looked like a sandstorm.

But I finding there are some advantages to the cold and wind.

One thing the wind does is blow the top surface off the sand, which can expose more treasures. And the wind also tends to pick up the light trashy objects and blow them into the dunes (assuming and off-shore wind).

Another good thing is there weren't any crowds on the beach - I pretty much had the place to myself.

I didn't find any gold this morning, but did find several coins, and some very interesting sea shells that were blown up on the beach by the wind.

I'll be heading back out this afternoon - hitting another local beach to see what I can find, and to get another dose of sun, wind, and a little chill.

Bill

Upvote 0

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill, I've done it before also. People looked at us like we were crazy, but we were finding the goodies that many left. When I was a child I would go with my grandfather to cleared construction sites to surface hunt for spear points or other artifacts. They were all freshly exposed by the wind and no one else out there because it was too cold.

I can't wait to get back to Florida next month. I have my wetsuit ready and the Excal's batteries are charged. Neither rain, wind, sleet....will keep me away from detecting at the beach. (then again maybe my wife will)

Good luck on your next hunt.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is great anytime we can get out, wind or no wind. Just go at it and have good luck.............

teklord

Sep 26, 2006
Orlando Fl.
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Windy conditions can be good if you are prepared for the sandblasting. The wind moves sand away from heavy objects leaving them exposed on the surface. I have found lots of clad sitting on top just waiting to be picked up. No digging required.
It is getting cold. After 5 hours in the water Monday with a full wetsuit, boots and dive socks, it got just too nippy to continue. By this weekend it is expected to warm up to normal.

Tek

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jpotter said:
People looked at us like we were crazy.
There's nothing like walking past some people on the way to the water in a full wet suit to do some detectin'. Looking back at the people all bundled up. The look on their faces is priceless !

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
willie d said:
jpotter said:
There's nothing like walking past some people on the way to the water in a full wet suit to do some detectin'. Looking back at the people all bundled up. The look on their faces is priceless !

I think it's called one of those Kodak moments, ;D

They don't know what they are missing :thumbsup:

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jpotter said:
willie d said:
jpotter said:

I think it's called one of those Kodak moments, ;D

They don't know what they are missing :thumbsup:
The mental snapshot of it always makes me smile. >:D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread