Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two detectorists also drowned last week that I know of. It just goes to show, no matter how innocuous this hobby may seem things can happen in a hurry and a person can be snuffed out in a milisecond without warning. I couldn't tell you how many times I have become so completely engrossed while detecting that I lost track of every thing around me and could very easily have walked out in front of a semi! For instance, the yellow jackets that nailed me last week. If I were allergic I probably wouldn't be writing this now! Such things, accidents can usually be avoided with a little safety consciousness and planning. THing, even coin shooting can be a dangerous sport. There are posionous snakes and spiders, noxious weeds such as poison ivey and oak, dangerous ocean currents and dropoffs to contend with and a dozen other things we take for granted every day. I know I am going to exercise a little more caution on my next outings. My next piece of equipment will be a waist flotation device, just to keep me afloat long enough to get to shallow water if I should get in over my head. Beware of buried underground utliity lines. I have a 240V buried line in my back yard that goes to my swimming pool! Have your cell phone with you at all times so you can summon ER help if needed. Hunt with a partner if you can. (I usually go alone). Try not to get tunnel vision and be aware of your surroundings as best you can. Wear sunscreen on exposed skin, especially in the water or in the summer time. I just had a skin cancer removed from my head from not wearing a hat. Take advantage of any safety equipment that may be appropriate for the location you are hunting. ie: A hardhat in or around unstable or older abandoned structures. Use some protection for your knees while bending to dig, such as a garden mat or knee pads. A nail or goathead thorn really hurts! Check out new water for obstructions or drop offs before just plunging in. There may be a dozen other precautions that you might consider but I just haven't thought of them. I realize it's not always possible to take all precautions and you can over do it but above all exercise common sense, be smart, be safe and be around. JIM

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread