Beach rake hits the beach in Cocoa Beach, Cape Canaveral, etc

Mat in MA

Feb 8, 2008
Central Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver µMax, DetectorPro Head Hunter Wader, White's MXT, Garrett GTA500, White's Bullseye II pin pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think you have anything to worry about.

[size=14pt]This is the same type of beach rake they use here in New England. Coins and jewelry will still go through the machine because it uses tynes like a rake. If your raking leaves small stones will go through the rake. Same principal on the beach.

The ones you really have to worry about are the sifting cleaners. Those machines pick up everything from the beach and deposit it in the sifter. The sifter drops the sand back to the beach keeping everything else in the screen. The screen can be adjusted to keep things as small as a dime, but when adjusted that small it takes longer to clean the beach. Most beaches don't uses the screen type of beach cleaner because it's too expensive. The tractor has to go slower using the screen as opposed to using the rake.

Your beach will now be easier to detect because there will be less trash and more goodies left behind. Good luck and Happy Hunting!! :thumbsup:

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
I saw a news article some time ago about the beach rake being ordered. Sheesh.

I suppose some of the goodies will be left behind. For the past few weeks, my trips to the beach (Cocoa Beach area) have not produced very much at all. All I get is a lot of exercise. LOL

Yes, at least I get out. LOL

Ray S

miket

Jun 3, 2008
florida west coast
Detector(s) used
whites beach hunter 300
i see the same machine at the beach i go to and still find stuff...mainly coins and bottle caps but still find it...every time i go to that beach the machine is running up and down the beach so i think they do it every day...i`m on the west coast of florida and the beach here was much cleaner than cocoa beach (east coast) which i visited a few months ago. :tongue3:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The beaches that we hit on the west coast of Florida that use them still produce lots of good stuff.  I have walked where the machine just passed and found many coin spills just a few inches down with the Excal.  Will the rake grab gold chains...probably.  The nice thing about the rake is it takes care of most of the cans and food wrappers.  Of course there's nothing in this world like the feeling of digging down almost 2 feet to recover a beer can  :thumbsup: It really gives you that feeling of accomplishment.....

Don't feel bad just look at it as a positive thing that cleans the garbage up so we don't have to.

gametalman52

Jul 27, 2007
Northeast Georgia
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT, Goldbug
This spring 3 of us were detecting Fort Desoto beaches and found the dump site for the rake machines at the north end and detected the piles of sand and debris. Junk, Junk, Junk, no coins, no rings, no silver. But we did find the good stuff still on the beach. No beach cleaning machine scares me!!!

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It really depends on the Beach rake model. They will probably set it shallow so it's take off the surface trash. The deeper the setting the slower the tractor can go pulling this big anchor. Here is the website for the maker of Beach Cleaners: http://www.hbarber.com/Cleaners/SurfRake/HowItWorks.aspx . Panama City Beach uses them and its big money for the contractors who bid for beach cleaning. It MIGHT pick some of the goodies up but not all of it. And it won't be used on the wet sand so that is safe. At least the beach will be cleaner.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if anyone bothers to sift through the debris in the hopper of the machines when they are finished? Monty

Cr4zyH0rs3

Mar 3, 2007
MA.
Detector(s) used
X-70 & Myself
Monty said:
I wonder if anyone bothers to sift through the debris in the hopper of the machines when they are finished? Monty

I know, I would.

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
Monty said:

That would be a fun job. You could make more money working a job like that!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rakes I've seen still leave a lot of small stuff in the sand. I hate to see them just on principle.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to think they are bad but they lift a lot of the large and medium size pieces of garbage. I have passed the coil several times where the rake just past and found loads of coins. I believe the rake when it passes over it brings some of the stuff below the surface up again. Back in July at Clearwater beach, after the guy passed on the machine I saw 2 quarters right on the surface, along with some beer caps.

Just to side track the topic a little, it's funny how many beer caps one finds on beaches that don't allow alcohol, but in a way it's a good thing. One treasure hunting buddy explained to me jewelry loss and drinking go hand and hand. :thumbsup:

redcobra8u

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2014
Los Angeles
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They use these here in California almost daily along the towel line. They are good at picking up paper items, cans, and larger items. They drop coins, rings, and bottle caps right back. I have personally found coins, a platinum ring, and 18 gold chain following right behind these things. I doubt very seriously they take much valuable stuff off the beach. In fact, I believe they actually redistribute stuff from less frequently hunted areas. Items can bounce on that belt for 25 feet before falling out.

Don't fear them, welcome them.....they get lighten your trash load.

Sal

meMiner

Bronze Member
Jul 22, 2014
Port Perry, Ontario
Detector(s) used
Minelab 800,
Fisher CZ21, F75SE, Gold Bug 2.9 & Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I bet they gather the chains in abundance. Darn things, I wish I worked on one.

PI PETE

Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
Excal_1000 / Whites VX3 / Shadow 2-Troy / & Infinium L-S/Garrett / AT GOLD
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Has anyone been to Galveston texas lately! There they pile the seaweed as high as the sea wall ant it rots emitting the foulest odor!!! They need that machine!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions