Myrtle Beach Sand

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
scruggs said:
Went to Myrtle Beach last week and did not find much. The beach sand looked different, like it had been dredge in or something. When new sand is added is it worth looking over?
Where I am when they put new sand on the beach all you find is garbage and tons of it!

Detector Wars

Nov 26, 2008
stitchlips said:
scruggs said:
Went to Myrtle Beach last week and did not find much. The beach sand looked different, like it had been dredge in or something. When new sand is added is it worth looking over?
Where I am when they put new sand on the beach all you find is garbage and tons of it!

Still, you would find goodies amongst the junk, wouldn't you?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they dredge up sand from the ocean bottom there is no telling what treasures can be deposited on the beach. It doesn't hurt to look.....What else ya gonna do, go shopping with the ole lady in a shoe store? ;D

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
If they dredge up sand from the ocean bottom there is no telling what treasures can be deposited on the beach. It doesn't hurt to look.....What else ya gonna do, go shopping with the ole lady in a shoe store? ;D

LOL ;D

Agreed!

beachboy

Bronze Member
May 26, 2008
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Sand Shark
Sandman said:
Sandman, I can not go shopping yet it is getting cold....

Sand Scoop

Oct 7, 2006
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT--Excal II
Yes ,they have been dredging the last few years.This last summer they went from SpringMaid Pier and are now around 55th N. So figure theres not much to be found untill the tourist show up this next summer.As far as I know I've never heard of any ships that went down and good stuff being found.They screen the dredged sand now so you don't find the large shark teeth like you use to although there are still nice ones to be found. Its suppose to be close to the 70's the next few days so will head down anyway and maybe get lucky.

OP
OP
S

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all your replies! I plan to go back to MB for Christmas and will look a bit. Let you all know if I luck up!

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units
They have been renurishing the beach here in Myrtle Beach for the last year now. I would say it's up 5 feet from a year ago. Average now is a pull-tab about every 100 yards.
Fortunately, there will be some good storms this winter and it will pull that sand back out before the 2009 Treasure Expo & Trade Show in April. This means the hunting will be back to normal by then, and everyone will be able to find the "goodies" again while here for the show.
I'll keep you updated on the sand condition here.
David
www.treasureexpo.com

homer007

Jan 11, 2008
BAIBRIDGE GA
Detector(s) used
WHITE PI PRO, TIGER SHARK,TESORO DELEON/XLT® E-Series Metal Detector. Whites PI Pro Detector
I WENT TO Myrtle Beach BEACH SEVERAL YRS AGO. VERY EXPENSIVE PLACE TO VISIT.

OP
OP
S

scruggs

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2008
Northern Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the report David! I will be at the Expo in April and on the Beach at Myrtle after Christmas.

Roln99

Jan 1, 2009
Garland, NC
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
My wife and I went down to Myrtle Beach From 12/23/08 to12/27/08 and I didn't find much either in terms of nice seashells! I was informed that they had been dredging the coastline. Before we left I actually thought of designing a sea sluice for recovering those hard-to-find seashells at low tide. We stayed at Ocean Creek Resorts where there's a brackish creek running through the property dumping out into the ocean. Thought about doing some sluicing there as well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread