How do you protect your coil?

Sandpiper

Jan 16, 2005
How do you protect your CZ20 coil?
I know a lot of you mod your coils to prevent scratching and maybe getting water in it. I have seen coils epoxy, and coil covers. I guess my question is - what is the best?, and do you find that coil covers have any ill effects like falsing on the 20 with sand or water- maybe using on dry sand after water hunting. I'm thinking that it won't false. Hate scratching my coil on shells which are abundant.

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The use of a coil cover protects all my coils and I own seven machines. I like to hip mount my box and I run the wire straight down the shaft on one side and tape it with electrical tape. This cuts down water resistance and protects the wire from kinks, etc. I also like to seal the crack where the cover fits on the coil to keep out black sand. It you don't seal this, make sure you take the coil off once in awhile to remove any sand to keep the detector operating correctly. I mainly use a CZ-20, Excalibur or Tesoro's Tiger shark in the water. You'll increase your "luck" by using the largest coil you can if it isn't to trashy.
Visit Norm's web site at www.thegoldenolde.com

Good Luck,

Sandman

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coil cover works well for my Garrett GTA 1000..I use it in water and on land ...take the cover off occasionally to wash the coil and inside the cover...dont get dirt inside for long as it will affect the signals...

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Strangly enough my tracker4s coil cover never fit right...I had to heat it with a lighter and bend it to make it fit, but after awhile i just abandoned it and electrical taped my coil ::)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread