SHARK ATTACK

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
I live in S AUST. and we have great white sharks on our coast unfortunately yesterday around 4pm our time a diver diving on our local man made reef was taken by one.All one can do is offer our deepest sympathy to his friends and relatives.This is the second person taken in the last year. The other attack was on teenager who had just jumped into the water from a boat a hundred yards from shore.
I have had first hand experience with one of these monsters about five years ago, when one came up to my boat and tried to get hold of my fishing burley pot.It was bigger than my 15ft boat,and I literally pulled my burley pot from his 2ft wide mouth.Wether this was the shark which had taken another poor person 10 miles down the coast two days before I dont know.Needless to say I didnt hang around gave up fishing for the day went home a bit tensed up.

My favourite detecting is using my excalibur wading in water up to chest level but always watching the water for that shark.I have had one big scare when the water along side of me exploded and my detector was just about knocked out of my hand.It turned out to be a big bottle nose dolphin,wether the signals from the detector upset his sonar I dont know. He came in from behind me and I no Idea what it was I thought I was a goner.Fortunately dolphins dont eat detectorists.My friend who was also detecting about 200 yds away had it happen to him as well he said it scared the xcxx out of him .

Has anyone had similar experiences with dolphins?

I have seen one small shark about three ft long which kept hanging around my friend and myself when we were detecting.I think he was attracted by us digging the sand up attracting fish to the area,not the action of the detector.

Has anyone had this happen to them.

Neil o

Upvote 0

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i have come into contact with dolphins a few times on maryland beaches but fortunantly no sharks. apparently they dont have the best eyesight in the world and mistake people for prey items. if people were really on the menu there wouldnt be too much you could do about it,and a lot more people would be attacked. be carefull in that shallow water. bull sharks will come into knee deep water to hunt and great whites have been observed in the surf before as well.although your chances of being attacked are really slim.......it doesnt make you feel any better about it when stuff like this happens.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread