Canaveral National Seashore

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
stay far away from "national" anything! they will arrest you and confiscate your gear(including your car). it aint worth it!

OP
OP
C

Clapier

Aug 26, 2005
It is hard and sometimes dangerous to be a newbie. Thanks for the sage advice from the more experienced beach THers. I appreciate it. Clapier

vic910

Bronze Member
Mar 14, 2005
Orlando, FL
What hollowpointred says is true. I've been "jonesing" to go to the Canaveral National Seashore myself, but alas, I will just have to dream about it. Especially with it so close to Cape Canaveral launching pads, I'll just bet there's some neat stuff there.

vicki

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
uncle sam seems to like his artifacts in the ground rusting away! ??? how about cocoa beach? theres got to be some other stretches of beach that you can hunt.

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
ARRRRGGG, There be no detecting at the Seashore - unless you lose something in the sand and set it up with a "Park Ranger" in the approx. area to hunt - while he watches! ARRRRGGG!! Cocoa is good

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimi D Pirate said:
ARRRRGGG, There be no detecting at the Seashore - unless you lose something in the sand and set it up with a "Park Ranger" in the approx. area to hunt - while he watches! ARRRRGGG!! Cocoa is good

What do You do IF you Find an Old Coin Or Relic ?

? Re-Bury or Give it to the RANGER, So he can take it Home & sell IT ?

nedigger

Sep 30, 2004
Omaha, NE
As mentioned already, Cocoa Beach is good. I found that the south side of the pier was better than the north side, but do both, as well as beneath. Finds included gold and silver rings, a silver figaro chain bracelet, a cool necklace with lion head pendant, watches, foreign coins, misc. other jewelry and lots of clad. If you don't mind the walk, I used to detect from the pier to Jetty Park to the north or from the pier to Lori Wilson Park to the south. Don't forget the volley ball courts on the south side of the pier and keep an eye out for events taking place on the beach as well, including concerts and surfing competitions.
I don't know how much beach detecting you have done but you will not be the only one hunting those beaches so you will want to either get there at the break of day or stay until the crowds thin out. Observe where people are sitting and hit those areas. Hunt up to the walk ons, also. I have even hunted along the edge of the dune line (but stay off the dunes per state law) as some people like to sit up away from the crowds as well as some moonlight romantics take place (moonlight not required). Even walking the middle of the beach has resulted in finds albeit, they are usually few and far between. I even purchased a headlamp for detecting after sundown (just stay alert for drunks, homeless and people getting romantic).
It is not uncommon for people to toss coins (usually pennies) off the pier when you are detecting just to see if you find them. You will also encounter the occassional heckler but just smile and keep going.
Although I never hunted it, I have heard New Smyrna Beach can be good hunting as well. I can't think of anything else to add so good luck and HH.

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Jeff of Pa, What I find is mine. I did ask Mr Park RANGER if I could keep a piece of old ship timber that washed up with a spkke in it and he said sure! I have found a few coins/spanish in the past while digging for sand flees / pure luck . i have done a lot of surf fishing at Canaveral thru the years. In New Smyrna a few years back it was reported that a small gold (contraband) disc was found. I personnally have heard of two that have been found. Good luck hunting

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cape Canaveral National Seashore most definitely has some wrecks near shore, and unfortunately detecting is off limits. Additionally; the beaches to the North are patrolled by boats much faster than mine, and the Southern beaches are patrolled by quad runners.

Q

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread