Sand Shark vs. Whites Surf PI Dual

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Sand Shark vs. White's Surf PI Dual

First if I haven't welcomed you before, you are welcome now to the forum. :coffee2:

I have used both these detectors and own the Surf PI Pro. Of the two I prefer the Sand Shark because it is waterproof lots deeper so it can be used diving. Batteries seem to last much longer. Most PI's tend to love to find tiny bits of iron like hair pins very deep. After digging a few of these or wire bread wrappers at over a foot deep, I am ready for a nap........ :wink:

The Surf PI Pro has some disc Whites says, but it must be measured with electronic gauges as I can still dig those tiny paper staples. What the heck staples are doing on the beach is anybodies idea. You can not take this detector deeper than 20 foot or it will leak. The warranty is short at two years while Sand Shark is life time. Tesoro's customer service is second to non, but Whites isn't no slouch either. Worst is Fisher/Bounty Hunter.

You will like either of these detectors and will do well in the saltwater sands of the coasts. For freshwater, either of these detectors will drive you crazy with all the iron targets.

OP
OP
C

cobhunter

Greenie
Dec 14, 2008

Sandman,

Thanks for that valuable evaluation! I have been reading the forum for about 2 mos now and really respect the knowledge expressed here, esp yours. The only con I can see for the Sand Shark is that one has to remove the cover to make adjustments. Is this a hassle or once the settings are configured one does not (typically) have to re-adjust? Otherwise, I believe I will go with the Tesoro.

therover

Feb 23, 2008
NJ
Detector(s) used
CZ6a (2),Infinium, E-Trac,CZ20, X5, CZ20,X-Terra 705, Treasure Baron Goldtrax, XL-Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Sandman,

What coil do/did you have on the Sand Shark ( 8 or 10 inch ?). Also, are the sweep speeds similar with both detectors. I know you can sweep pretty quickly with the Whites. Can you with the Sand Shark ? Reason I ask is, lots of times when wet sand hunting, I like to move a little faster. When in the water, it's hard to move fast anyway, so sweep speed for me is always slower.

I am thinking of getting another PI, and now am leaning toward the Sand Shark. I have a BHID 300, and that coil is BIG ! The Dual Field coil is the same size, so the Sand Shark with the 8 inch coil may be the ticket for me, but I would like to know if I could move a tad faster on the wet sand without sacrificing depth. If I was getting the Whites, I would rather have the PI Pro with the 9.5 inch coil than the 12 inch on the Dual Field.

I had the HH PI with both the 11 inch and 8 inch coils and I felt the 8 inch was a lot easier to move, pin point and the sensitivity to the smaller targets was better. The 11 inch coil went really deep, but pin point was really hard and I was digging all over the place to find the target ( and I have a Sun Spot Stealth scoop and it's both wide and digs deep and I will was having problems). I am much more inclined to have a better pin pointing, sensitive PI than a deeper one. That's just me.

JC

fl_aurum

Tenderfoot
Dec 19, 2008
Sandman, question about the 10 x 9(?) elliptical

Sandman (or anyone else who can answer this is welcome to): I see that there is an elliptical coil for the Sand Shark but I can't get anymore information on it. Any info to pass on? Thanx.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread