A question for you veteran water hunters

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Hello,

I am about to join in the wading winter hunt once I pick up a wet suit. I understand the secret to success in winter wading is finding the deep pockets. I have come to understand that you can read the surf to locate these deep spots.

My question is, what do you look for to find the holes? Does there have to be surf to locate them?

Any information that you can provide would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,
Anthony

Upvote 0

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
One of the other guys on here once steered me towards a site that explained everything you asked. I think it was sandman......or florida bill...

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Between April and Oct. is the best time to find GOLD in FL. Winter time no one gets in the water ,to dam cold. As far as finding the right spot ,watch the waves . The waves will show you where the sand bar is. When the wave is no longer crashing the water has got deeper this is where you want to hunt. An other good place is the area before the wave crashes. These two spot are the best spot to go . Remenber the ocean is like a Gold pan ,it washes every thing around and puts all heavy thing together. If you are finding sinker in one of these spot , you will find GOLD there too. I hope this helps . Happy Huntting ,Ron Lord ,Naples FL.

stitchlips

Apr 12, 2008
east coast florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab excalibur 1000, CTX 3030
ron lord said:
Between April and Oct. is the best time to find GOLD in FL. Winter time no one gets in the water ,to dam cold. As far as finding the right spot ,watch the waves . The waves will show you where the sand bar is. When the wave is no longer crashing the water has got deeper this is where you want to hunt. An other good place is the area before the wave crashes. These two spot are the best spot to go . Remenber the ocean is like a Gold pan ,it washes every thing around and puts all heavy thing together. If you are finding sinker in one of these spot , you will find GOLD there too. I hope this helps . Happy Huntting ,Ron Lord ,Naples FL.

The sinker bit is true, I once found a place on the beach where I was digging sinkers like mad and out popped a platinum ring!

VBDave

Aug 11, 2007
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Tesoro Vaquero
I'll sell you my wetsuit...

As well as you've done in the lane, if you're going in the water the rest of us might as well stay home!!! :wav: :wav:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is to much information to list it all here in this forum. The site Stitchlips talks about is http://thegoldenolde.com/ It is from one of the old Masters.

Take Care,
Sandman

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
REad some of Dave McCracken books on Gold Prospecting. Gold regardless whether its nuggets or rings will fall out where it has the least resistance, be it in the surf or in a lake. So be sure you hunt around pilings, rocks as these form eddies when the water is moving and heavy items like gold and lead fall out. Something to think about.

OP
OP
Narthoniel

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
Thank you for all of the replies. Hopefully with this and time I can develop the eye it takes. Have read most of the golden olde, few more to go through there yet tho.

TheTreasureAddict

Mar 14, 2007
FLOR DI DA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, EXCALIBUR 1000, EXPLORER SE, E-TRAC, GTI 2500, V3, PI PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm.....

What gold? I have it all, LOL ;D! My advice, dig every signal. I do! Hope you like the pics!!!!!!!!

CRACKBADGER

Attachments

• Crackbadger Inc..jpg
    Crackbadger Inc..jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 428

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread