coil covers for beach detectors

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Whites, Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a coil cover for my Whites detector on the beach but have noticed that it is starting to mess up ground tracking (sand gets in between cover and coil). I am thinking if there are better ways to protect the coil from shell scratches without using the cover which is a pain to remove and causes falsing.

Do you all use coil covers?

Thanks.

Upvote 0

SandFiddler

Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
White's BHID
Moe,

There are a number or posts on this forum concerning covering coils using epoxy and/or truck bed liner compound. Hope this helps.

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does the epoxy not affect the detector?

I heard that some seal their coil covers with silicone or RTV. I wonder if these are hard to clean. Will not the sand stick to the silicone?

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Epoxy the coil is the only way to go!!!

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to seal the crack with silicone sealant but still had black sand seep in to mess up the operation. Then it is a bear to take the coil off again. I now use Loctite Marine Epoxy on the bottom of the coil and up the sides half way to stop the abrasion. It is cheaper than having to buy a new coil because you wore a weak spot in the edge.

erikk

Jan 6, 2007
Punta Gorda FL
Detector(s) used
EX2',CZ7a pro,Excaliburs 1000 & 2, F-75's ,Garrett Sea Hunter & Infinium LS PI , 1235X
Locktire Marine Epoxy

Maui Mike

May 26, 2008
Marine epoxy...My PI and DF are both done with it. Has not stopped the finds so far..but has stopped the coil dings.. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
where can you buy the Loc-tite Marine Epoxy? I went to my local walmart but they dont carry it.

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
LOWE'S ,,Home Depot

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
ivan salis said:
boat store
How you been Ivan? havent seen much of you lately.i moved a little farther North.Tybee Isl

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Locktire Marine Epoxy and you can also use cans of spray-on bed liner sold in auto parts stores....Just remember if the coil is still under warranty it could void the warranty, would be up to the company honoring the warranty..

OP
OP
Moe (fl)

Moe (fl)

Jul 25, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found the marine epoxy at Home Depot.

How many coats do you all apply of this stuff?

Thanks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread