Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Sea Hunter detector that I just got presented me with the same problem. While I haven't tethered it to my body exactly, it has a small loop of nylon rope on the handle end. Nothing in any of the pamphlets or manual told what it was for. But out of trial and error I found it convenient to hook my strong side elbow through that little loop while I am scooping. That frees up both hands and makes me feel better about not having it drift off while I am otherwise occupied. Also, unless I take my headphones off it is hooked to my head! But I can see how in any kind of surf at all it could rip those head phones off very easily. Fortunately I just hunt freshwater where there are no big waves. JIM

DiggerDude101

Apr 19, 2005
If your diving you can use one of those retractors and attach it to you BCD.
(I will try to take some pics and post them.)

For those that dont dive it works well in shallow water too!
Only you would have to attach it to a "D" ring on a belt.
Carrabeaner(SP) attached to the detectof for quick release, if needed.

OP
OP
Rudy(CA)

Rudy(CA)

Sep 24, 2004
DiggerDude101 said:
If your diving you can use one of those retractors and attach it to you BCD.
(I will try to take some pics and post them.)

For those that dont dive it works well in shallow water too!
Only you would have to attach it to a "D" ring on a belt.
Carrabeaner(SP) attached to the detectof for quick release, if needed.

That would be great DiggerDude.

-Jones-

Aug 11, 2005
NW Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Minelab GO-FIND 60 and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I live in Missouri but get to FL 2 or 3 times a year. I strap my minelab 800 on my right arm and rest my long handled scoop on top of my left shoulder, kinda like holdin a rifle atop the shoulder. When I find a target, I sling her down and dig like you would with a long handle shovel. I love to get in about 3 or 4 foot of water. The gulf side is pretty calm, but the atlantic side really tosses ya around!

southern gent

Aug 1, 2004
Pickens Co. S.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Sovriegn. Whites. Garret
Primary Interest:
Other
My water detectors are hip mountable, which takes alot from the detectors movement in the water. Still the shaft wants to move about so I stand on the coil once I've found my target. It takes a bit of practice so as not to damage the wiring but I think it's worth it. My digger is obviously made of metal but I use a wooden handle with a bunch of hair ties that I've found on the handle to help it to float. If I loose it it does not go far. Tethering seems like it would upset my mobility. If you find a way to do it without limited movement let me know. Good luck & HH! chris

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions