Should you count the junk rings in your total ring count?

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I knew a guy that was always way ahead of me in the number of rings he has found and no doubt you have too. However many times these hunters count all the rings they have found including plastic and other junk rings while I was only counting Silver and Gold rings.

Granted any ring found is a goodie, but may not have much value. The value is in the finding anyway. Either way when someone says they have found X amount of rings, they all may not be precious metals and you shouldn't worry to much about someone getting ahead of you. The fun is in the finding. It is even more fun when you find more than your dumb brother in law which is your partner. ;D

Upvote 0

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
Well I surely don't find enough rings to cause any controversy but I never tell people about my junk rings...in fact I only count the gold ones! I guess if I were in a competition I would cound the silver also.The only excitement I get from finding a junker is when I'm not finding ANYTHING else!

Sand Scoop

Oct 7, 2006
Myrtle Beach
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT--Excal II
I never count junk rings. I do count my silver rings if there marked. Some silver rings I have found have been really nice rings when there cleaned up so I figure why not count them in the total of rings found lets say for a year.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
I count ALL my rings in my yearly total and I post all my rings but I will say if it is a "good" one or just junk. I can not compete with the guys like Goldinwater & Sandman but it is ok by me. A ring is a ring and I count them all.

COTTON

Apr 28, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used post the number of rings i found until i reliezed how stupid it was.Not only did it felt like i was bragging, but felt like i was back in grade school.....Cotton

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i like to post the good loot i find as i know how much i enjoy seeing pic's of other people's finds.it keeps me going when i see a big fat Gold ring someone found that might have been lost forever had they not come along.i have got to converse with some of the greatest people iv never met ,here on this site! the things iv learned here are time savers and hold much value to me.iv been hunting years before computers ever came along and must say,its been a great asset to me and endless information.every morning and twice a day i surf 4 web sites and learn something every day.I'm 61 and it seams as there is not enough time to do all the Treasure Hunting id like to do,i know my last ship will come in someday and id like to find "just one more treasure" before that day! oh my,i still remember the rush i got last year when i saw "PLAT" on 1 of 6 rings i found in 2 days.the smile from the couple from Lake Whales Fl when i found his wedding ring,and the McDonald's gift certificate from the young girl in Ga when i mailed her the class ring she thought was gone for ever.this hobby has SO many rewards,i wish i was 20 again so i could do it all over again!

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well I am so happy to find a ring sometimes I don't care if its junk. I do count them as part of my total ring countr but then I break it down then to junk rings-- silver rings--- gold rings---most of the time junk rings outnumber the rest but I don't regret finding any of them because some times that junk ring was the only thing I found after 6 hours and it made no difference whether junk, gold, or silver it was just precious to me that day.

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A ring is a ring junk or not. I've seen some junk rings that would be worth more than some silver or gold rings. Should we break our count down by what WE think they are worth?

I found 12 gold rings last year, but 2 are worth less than 3 of my silver rings, and 1 is worth less than 1 of my junk rings. I found 22 silver rings last year, but 2 are worth less than 3 of my junk rings, but 3 are worth more than 2 of my gold rings. I found 38 junk rings last year, but 3 are worth more than 2 of my sliver rings, and 1 is worth more than 1 of my gold rings.

It's just easier to say I found 72 rings last year.

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digger said:
A ring is a ring junk or not. I've seen some junk rings that would be worth more than some silver or gold rings. Should we break our count down by what WE think they are worth?

I found 12 gold rings last year, but 2 are worth less than 3 of my silver rings, and 1 is worth less than 1 of my junk rings. I found 22 silver rings last year, but 2 are worth less than 3 of my junk rings, but 3 are worth more than 2 of my gold rings. I found 38 junk rings last year, but 3 are worth more than 2 of my sliver rings, and 1 is worth more than 1 of my gold rings.

It's just easier to say I found 72 rings last year.
:tard: :tard: :tard: well if that is the case all of my pull tabs last year combined was probably worth more than my entire ring count. I guess we should ask who keeps their junk rings? I keep mine, yet I do know a guy who digs and if they are junk he gives them away on the beach or throws them back..thats ok cause I don't mind finding them later ;D

OP
OP
Sandman

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a grand daughter that I have spoiled for any dude that comes along later in her life and thinks she won't like gold rings. I save every ring I find, junk or not, even the plastic ones which are less than junk in my book. Still they are still rings. I don't keep a running count any more as nobody would believe me anyway. Since I detect anytime I want, I have my coil covering lots of ground and the law of averages means I will get my coil over many more good targets than the guy or gal that goes out just on weekends.

A few years ago I started saving all my pull tabs too for some reason. I have almost two five gallon buckets and what they weigh I have no idea. I smile even when I see a pull tab in my scoop as I figure that is one less I will have to dig some day.

Have a goodn',
Sandman

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
I record my finds in a picture, goodies and all and often the days happenings also.
If I chose to send a picture to a forum it will often be like the one provided here.
The pics are for later when the memories fade, it also tells a storey of the activities that took place on the day the junk and goodies in the lower right corner, tells off happenings from the past.

GlenelgBeach-251007_06a.jpg

Iskuli

Jun 17, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Whites-DSL
When I give my ring count, I only include gold, silver & plat (haven't found one of these yet). I don't do it to brag. I do it because I am a goal setter. That's how I stay motivated. I like to play games where you keep score. MD'ing for me, is like golf. I compete against myself more than anything else. My favorite finds are jewelry. My brother's favorite finds are old coins. Some people like relics. I love finding the "what's it's" too. I keep just about everything, keys, junk rings, etc. My daughter gets all my "good" junk jewelry. Frankly, the smile on her face is worth more to me than my favorite jewelry finds.

Sandman ~ tell me....come on...I'll believe you....how many rings last year?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
a "find count" of any type is a self set goal for you *----- in metal detecting --you real are only competeing with yourself --- because unless you and another detectorist (of equal experance) hunted the same place , at the same time,for the same amount of time with the same brand of machines all year long -- matching his finds vs your finds would not be really "fair" --

because some folks that are retired can hunt all day everyday -- some have better areas to hunt than others and better quality machines and much nore experance.
with so much variance you can't really say A's finds count vs B's find count is a fair match up.

that said count what you want to , cause after all you dug it '

as for me only quality counts --silver or gold /platinum--- got a couple silvers and gold to my credit so far.

Northern Lights

Sep 15, 2008
Georgian Bay Lake Huron, 2 hrs N. of Toronto
Detector(s) used
whites surfmaster pulse, tesoro silver sabre, fisher 1280x
It's funny you should mention that about the ring count. Many moons ago, 15 years or so, our Toronto club had exchange outings with the Buffalo club, at different beaches, and some of our members became a little jealous when they heard the stories of how many rings our friends from the other side of the border were finding compared to what they had found. Then somewhere towards the end of the season, we discovered that they counted all rings in their total count where as we didn't even count the silver rings in our counts, only the gold. We looked on silver as better than junk but at only 1/85 the value of gold, it was like finding a penny instead of a silver dollar, but don't get me wrong, I'm very happy with a silver ring especially today, but I still don't include them in my ring count.

tc

Digger

Mar 24, 2003
Dodge City Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, E-Trac, Makro Racer 2, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it depends on you situation. Those who hunt the beaches may find "junk rings" as far more common find than those who hunt on land. I see lots of people that post their clad count because older coins may be a rarity for them. I've got some junk rings that are far more valuable to me than my gold rings. Some found at civil war sites, camp sites or special locations.

It's more about personal value than monetary value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread