Im looking for a way to breathe with out any diving equipment in shallow waters

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Im looking for a way to breathe with out any diving equipment in shallow waters

:tard: Some of you scare me! Get certified, know what you are doing before you get yourself killed! 50 years of diving both commercial and sport diving has shown me things you can not immagine. If you are not certified you should not be diving with ANY kind of underwater gear. Ignorance of the law will get you jail time. Ignorance of diving procedures and equipment will get you DEAD! No joke, some of your questions are borderline brainless. Not an insult, just lack of knowledge that will get you killed. GET CERTIFIED!!!! Where's Me Grog and regulator? :coffee2:
Air, I needs air! To late, you are down 5 feet and caught on someone's discarded fishing line without the air supply, no knife and no dive buddy. You is dead! R.I.P.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Im looking for a way to breathe with out any diving equipment in shallow waters

mask , snorkel , fins and a sharp strap on dive knife *(with a buddy)--- for short , very shallow water 5-6 feet deep (a min at a time or so ) safe non certified dives -- ortherwize take a dive class -- and learn the proper way to dive .

trikikiwi

Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

el conquistador said:
Mr. Peabody said:
Photoflash said:
You could try something real low tech such as an extra long hose of the same diameter or a little larger than the upright tube of your snorkel. Just slip it over the snorkel tube and clamp it on.
Attach the intake end of the hose to something to keep it high enough out of the water to avoid flooding the tube. Not sure how easy it would be to breathe through a non pressurized hose, but might be worth a try. Very cheap way to approach the problem.
I've built a snuba and it works, but have not used it enough to see if it is worth messing around with.
I'm certified SCUBA but sometimes the hassle of suiting and tanking up is not a lot of fun.

This is bad Idea. According to my research, human breath about two to three liters. As you exhale you exhale co2, if hose is long more co2 is stored at end of breath in such hose. If hose too long all co2 is stored in hose and soon you re-breathing only what you exhale which runs out of o2 and kills you with excess co2 which quickens breathing rate.

This is known as the artificial dead air space. Lots of CO2 in there and one will pass out....if it was possible to breath like that underwater. One will find as one goes further under water that it is harder to breath due to the water pressure on the human body. That is why it is a pump that pushes air down or a scuba tank under pressure. I tried when I was a child, thinking if a snorkle will work then a cut piece of pipe has to work too, wrong. As one gets down over one foot you won't have the ability to pull air through the hose or pipe unless there is pressure pushing the air down.

Another thing, before one invests in one of these Hookah systems or other items, take a scuba course. There are a lot of hidden dangers for those that are not certified. Example, if one takes a breath at 10 feet and goes up, one will suffer a lung expansion injury, which is certain death.

I'm still trying to find out bottom times limit for 15 feet and under. I've gotten a hundred answers if one risks decompression illness for staying under too long. The dive tables start at 35 feet and one is supposed to round up to that if one is under that. The best advice I got was follow what the dive computer says. So remember those that have no training and are going to use one of these setups that you are breathing air at depth so you fall under the same rules.

Another important issue is the use of Spair Air. It is for a scuba diver that has run out of air and uses it to get back to the surface. It's not intended to be used as an item to swim underwater for fun. It is a serious saftey item.

Take the course and make your decesions from there.

HH

I have highlighted a very true statement made by El Conquistador.
I challenge anyone to be able to inhale through a length of hose/snorkel when their chest area is deeper than a foot or so underwater. Believe me I've tried ;D

Do a recognized dive course, is the only advice.
Then enjoy :thumbsup:
Mike

OP
OP
Delwin79

Delwin79

Dec 25, 2008
Yabucoa

I was thinking to build a large snorkel ;D (large straw tube) :thumbsup: with mask or maybe who knows there is a misterious way to breath with nothing....ask the two guys right next to you :icon_scratch:

Delwin From Puerto Rico

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:icon_scratch: I think we are wasting our time here! You can NOT use a snorkel below 1 foot or there about. It is humanly impossible to draw a breath through a snorkel longer than 14 inches or so. Why do you suppose they don't build two or three foot snorkels? I only have one thing to say. If you think it is possible, R.I.P.
Let's go find something worth answering.

OP
OP
Delwin79

Delwin79

Dec 25, 2008
Yabucoa

sorry ..and thank you all for your advices I think the best thing to do is to take classes ...you are all right you guys gave me some valuable info and I really apreciate it

Thank You Very Mucho ::)

Delwin

ArkieGold

Dec 17, 2008
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II 800

By all means Delwin79, take some classes if you can. I found this info you might find useful...

http://www.underwaterprojects.741.com/hookah.html

Kind of similar to something I built. Haven't tried it yet in water but it ought to work ok. Full face firemans mask with a low pressure, 5.4CFM air pump runs on generator, (Dolphin Oil-less Pond Aeration Pump) rigged via hose straight into the air inlet. Excess flows out the check valve on front. Max operating depth on the pump is 15ft. I'll have to experiment but it ought to get me to 10ft easy. Not many swim areas out of my range at that depth. Make some finds and I'll spring for the Air Line Hookah System.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread