Im looking for a way to breathe with out any diving equipment in shallow waters

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
Re: Im looking for a way to breathe with out any diving equipment in shallow waters

how deep and for how long do you plan to go / stay down at a time? -- important factors to know.

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Re: Im looking for a way to breathe with out any diving equipment in shallow waters

Hmmmm it looks to me like that product is meant to be used for emergency situations only and not meant for what you want to use it for. Not to mention that 300 bucks is a lot of money. I think you would be safer to learn how to scuba dive (the proper way) and buy equipment for that. You could get "lost" underwater and a current could take you farther out than you realize.... all kinds of problems. Be careful!

The Digger

Jan 13, 2009
Buffalo NY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax Tiger Shark

There is a snokel set up on line with a 12 volt battery and you can go 6 to 10 feet under water for up to 2 hrs.
Look up on line Sea Breath or Power Snorkel, Still costs some bucks.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Spare air bottles are for emergency's only and only contain a few breaths. Hooka systems like the Brownie or Jsink are very good as are the ones by Kneen Engineering. http://www.airlinebyjsink.com/ is one of them. I've used the Kneen outfits and there is nothing like not having to change tanks topside. Alot depends on the depths you want to dive also as deeper depths require decompression times. There is no substitute for scuba training for your safety.

You can also use Franken scuba which uses the standard scuba tank floating with a foam raft and a long regulator hose. Max posted a pic of his setup but I couldn't find the post to show the Link.

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

You can spend big bucks for a Brownie 3rd Lung or build your own for under a $1000. I own one and have had it for 25 years. Biggest expense is the gas motor. A new Briggs & Stratton 5 hp will run you $600 but you can scrounge a 2.5 hp gas motor for under a $100, just make sure it doesn't smoke. Get a Keene Engineering catalog and purchase a motor plate to mount the motor and air compressor on. A new T-80 air compressor will run you about $350 unless you can find one on eBay for less. It has to be oil-less, no oil. A snorkle for the compressor, a pig tail that attaches to the compressor to the plastic air bottle then 30 feet of air hose to air regulator. Don't try to convert a SCUBA regulator, buy a new Hookha regulator. The air bottle is essential, it does two things, it cools the hot air coming out of the compressor and it gives you about 2 minutes of spare air should the motor stop for some reason. I've had kids shut off my motor, thinking its funny while I'm 15 feet underwater. >:( Two minutes is plenty of air to reach the surface. Use M/F quick release on your hoses especially with regulator. That's in case your air hose becomes fouled and you need to surface. Easier to reach back and disconnect then try to unscrew the connection, (That sends chills down my spine). :o Mount the entire unit inside a donut tube mount and add a new 20 inch truck tire. Add a Diver's Flag and you are in business.
Or you can shell out $3000 and buy a Brownie. Good Luck. :wink:
I might add if you are hunting shallows in the intracoastal areas and become tired of digging all the trash, buy a 2 inch or 3 inch suction dredge, place a floating screen box on the end and vacuum up your targets. The tides will fill in your holes for you. :icon_king:

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac

I am a certified diver, but i usually dont suit up for shallow water detecting. I use what I call snuba. Its what 1 of the other fellas referred to as Franken scuba. Tank sits on land, in water, or on a float, 30 to 50 foot reg hose, weight belt. Way ceaper than a hookah system. Problem for you is that you have to be certified for scuba to get your tanks filled. Also, there are still things that can go wrong without the proper training. The "spare air" is not a good idea. Only lasts for 30-60 breaths depending on the size, plus you have to fill it off a standard tank, then back to the other problem of filling. My avatar is of me in a 130 year old swimming hole in oregon with my snuba set-up. Just get certified. It will change your life!

Attachments

• nerd.jpg
    nerd.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,114
  • mee.jpg
    mee.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 1,105
  • nerd.jpg
    nerd.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 1,025
  • mee.jpg
    mee.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 1,027

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II

I have to agree. Get certified and do it right. Wayne has a great setup but you certainly can go the hookah route as well.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac

Mr. Peabody said:
I am going to be getting skuba lessons this spring. How long does air tank last vwayne ?
[/qu

Well, with a normal size "90" tank, regular diving at depths , air can last from 30-50 minutes depending on your breathing habits. Im usually on the shorter end, as I am a major air hog. I never have got used to the idea of conserving air. When I want a big swig, I take it. When doing shallow water, and staying fairly stationary, like detectin, you can make one last for an hour and a half sometimes. Good luck on lessons. I got it in 2004, and have never looked back. I like ocean, rivers, lakes, wherever.

Attachments

• IMAG0004.jpg
    IMAG0004.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 1,028

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac

Yes, you just come up and change tanks. I have 4 tanks. I do a tank, than rest a little and do some beach hunting, than go back in the water.

Stevo

Greenie
Aug 11, 2006

I have done scuba and w/out scuba. one thing to consider is the time it takes to get a tank, get set up, break down and clean up. it takes a while and that could be time spent detecting. Of coarse if you wanted to go into areas not accesable by snorke scubu would fit that application great.
Stevo

Photoflash

Sep 2, 2007
Little Canada, MN
Detector(s) used
JW Fisher Pulse 8/Excalibur
Primary Interest:

You could try something real low tech such as an extra long hose of the same diameter or a little larger than the upright tube of your snorkel. Just slip it over the snorkel tube and clamp it on.
Attach the intake end of the hose to something to keep it high enough out of the water to avoid flooding the tube. Not sure how easy it would be to breathe through a non pressurized hose, but might be worth a try. Very cheap way to approach the problem.
I've built a snuba and it works, but have not used it enough to see if it is worth messing around with.
I'm certified SCUBA but sometimes the hassle of suiting and tanking up is not a lot of fun.

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mr. Peabody said:
Photoflash said:
You could try something real low tech such as an extra long hose of the same diameter or a little larger than the upright tube of your snorkel. Just slip it over the snorkel tube and clamp it on.
Attach the intake end of the hose to something to keep it high enough out of the water to avoid flooding the tube.  Not sure how easy it would be to breathe through a non pressurized hose, but might be worth a try.  Very cheap way to approach the problem.
I've built a snuba and it works, but have not used it enough to see if it is worth messing around with. 
I'm certified SCUBA but sometimes the hassle of suiting and tanking up is not a lot of fun.

This is bad Idea. According to my research, human breath about two to three liters. As you exhale you exhale co2, if hose is long more co2 is stored at end of breath in such hose. If hose too long all co2 is stored in hose and soon you re-breathing only what you exhale which runs out of o2 and kills you with excess co2 which quickens breathing rate.

This is known as the artificial dead air space.  Lots of CO2 in there and one will pass out....if it was possible to breath like that underwater.  One will find as one goes further under water that it is harder to breath due to the water pressure on the human body.  That is why it is a pump that pushes air down or a scuba tank under pressure.  I tried when I was a child, thinking if a snorkle will work then a cut piece of pipe has to work too, wrong.  As one gets down over one foot you won't have the ability to pull air through the hose or pipe unless there is pressure pushing the air down.

Another thing, before one invests in one of these Hookah systems or other items, take a scuba course.  There are a lot of hidden dangers for those that are not certified.  Example, if one takes a breath at 10 feet and goes up, one will suffer a lung expansion injury, which is certain death.

I'm still trying to find out bottom times limit for 15 feet and under.  I've gotten a hundred answers if one risks decompression illness for staying under too long.  The dive tables start at 35 feet and one is supposed to round up to that if one is under that.  The best advice I got was follow what the dive computer says.  So remember those that have no training and are going to use one of these setups that you are breathing air at depth so you fall under the same rules.

Another important issue is the use of Spair Air.  It is for a scuba diver that has run out of air and uses it to get back to the surface.  It's not intended to be used as an item to swim underwater for fun.  It is a serious saftey item. 

Take the course and make your decesions from there.

HH

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mr. Peabody said:
Don't try to make lake with shovel and hands, use proper equipment for job. Even if lessons are expensive better to pay for lessons and scuba gear then go at it with less than what you need or you won't achieve what you are trying to achieve.

100% true. :thumbsup:

rockyredbaron

Jul 20, 2005
Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 1000 and Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Im looking for a way to breathe with out any diving equipment in shallow wa

[size=14pt][size=14pt]IT'S CALLED A SNORKEL !![/size][/size]

kaptainkosmic

Jul 7, 2004
S.W. Michigan
Detector(s) used
CZ-20 When its Wet, Garret 1350 When its Not.
Primary Interest:
Das Limpet! :-)

just being a wise guy!

sb :-)

xXx

Nov 17, 2004
back in Indiana again
Detector(s) used
Multiple land, beach, underwater and specialty units

I am a certified diver, and would not recommend anyone dive any way without training. Do yourself a favor and go through the class. It's actually fun.
Anyway, here's what I'm thinking about going to for shallow diving.
Super Snorkel http://www.supersnorkel.com/
xXx

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

lets see --breath underwater WITHOUT DIVING GEAR ? --- hummm GILLS? I take it you do not want standard diving gear (because of the cost and fuss of taking classes and such* ) ---on a more serious note ---a snorkel with mask and fins will do for very shallow work .but not for prolonged time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread