Heres what I need...

RCMoonPie

Sep 6, 2005
KnoxVegas
Here's what I need...

I thought I was almost decided on the Tesoro Tiger-Shark...
But I see so many other recommendations....that I just don't know.

In freshwater....
I will be hunting creeks, ponds, lakes, and various other small places classifies here in Tennessee as "swimming-holes". Some of my scouted locations have been used literally for centuries. I will need my prospective unit to hit coinage/clad of various metals and also GOLD rings and chains.
It is my personal belief that a lot gold items such as rings and chains are dismissed or missed altogether as a result of poor dicrimination settings.
I dont mind if my unit hits everything just so long as it isnt a false hit!
I want something to see at the end of my dig even if its a pull-tab!:yes:

As for saltwater...I will not be on any black-sand for now and will be mostly in the white powder type sand found at PCB Florida. I will be at depths of 10 to 30 plus feet. Looking for pretty much trhe same things as I was looking for in Freshwater.

On land....
I need a unit that has decent discrimination.
I need a unit with decent depth.

I need recommendations for ONE all around good MD.
I cant afford to buy multiple units right now....until it starts "paying for itself".
I can only spend around $600 give or take for now.

Please make your suggestions
Thanks again in advance!
;)

Upvote 0

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Here's what I need...

For six hundred bucks you can't really buy an all around detector that I know of. What works good in water usually doesnot work as good on dry land. Ir it's a great deal of discrimination you want you will have to go with a VLF detector. If you do not want discriminatoin in the water you will be better off with a PI machine. I have a Sea Hunter MarkII made by Garrett. It is in that price range and is a PI based detector. I use it on dry land a lot but it reacts to just about any metal. It has some discrimination but not much! It is quite heavy but the control head can be worn in a "holster" on the waist or over the shoulderwhich makes the wantd part quite light. Check it out at the Kellyco website. JIM

OP
OP
RCMoonPie

RCMoonPie

Sep 6, 2005
KnoxVegas

Okay....
Let me specify.
Water hunting is my primary focus.
I want to spend 600 on the low side and will go up to 800 or so.
That said.....please help me decide. ;)

L

Lu Y. Hale

If your primary focus is to be water hunting then you need to buy a water unit (no getting around this). As such, it will not be a good choice for land hunting (most, if not all water machines are just not optimized for land hunting, although they are all capable). You can use just about any water detector on land, but the brains are normally heavy and need to be mounted on the hip, waist, chest, etc... unless you are a young and sturdy person. The Fisher 1280-X is excellent from my knowledge, but using it in saltwater it does a piss poor job. Although I have no experience with the Tigershark, the two modes, salt and fresh sound like it is as close to a multi-purpose machine as is out on the market for your needs. Your jewelry finds should pay for the detector in a while and it is in the water that you will find a majority of your jewelry. I wish you luck and my personal suggestion for what you have described is what you had already been leaning towards. :)

sherpa t

Jan 25, 2005
Ocala florida
Detector(s) used
Titan / Tesoro SLT/ Fisher F5

I have never seen anything but praise for the tigersharks gold finding ability's in fresh water. The salt water has been mixed reviews, that's where you would need to do the good research.
Service and warrenty get very good marks.

OP
OP
RCMoonPie

RCMoonPie

Sep 6, 2005
KnoxVegas

Thanks for ALL the input folks!

I am thinking I should go with the Tiger-Shark....
I am thinking it would make an excellent 1st MD, and will hopefully find me enough stuff off the front end in my projected freshwater "honey-holes". Then I will hit the salty surf and depths and keep the discrim off.....dig everything......Then hopefully I will be able to upgrade over a short time to a nicer model for other hunting.

Sounds like a plan! ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread