North Carolina Question

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
FOREVER I have wanted to see the outer banks of NC.
We're pretty much good to go for the end of the month.
yessssssssss!
But I have a coupla ?'s...
Is ALL of the outer banks considered 'National seashore'?( so not detectable????????????????)
okay...better question...what beaches CAN you detect on?
and...umm...am I gonna be cold? (we're camping)

ten thousand thank yous,
Ash

Upvote 0

WeaponsUSMC

Jul 26, 2005
Findlay Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Not sure about detecting, but im on the coast of NC myself and your comming at the wrong time of year. our first hurricane is tomorrow and we are in the peak of the season. Take a good radio with you and keep your ears pealed, and give yourself plenty of time to get out of there. One road on and one road off and the Outer banks gets hit the worst. be carefull

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Hatteras doesn't allow detecting at all. Be careful of the old timers down there detecting. They are very territorial, and will give you a hard time all the time.

You shouldn't be too cold. I do recommend bringing a couple of long sleeve shirts for the night time, because the tempature has been dipping into the 60s at night. But, with the hurricane right now, humidity is WAY up.

I will tell you that detecting down there this time of year is next to worthless. Tourists have almost completely gone, and the old timers have detected almost everything dry already. But good luck with it!

tb

Mar 24, 2005
Don't hold me to it, but I believe once you cross the Oregon Inlet bridge detecting is off limits ,(Rodanthe, Waves, Salvo, Avon, Hatteras, Frisco) are all part of the National Seashore. From what I've read detecting is allowed just about everywhere from Nags Head on to the North. The Outer Banks are beautiful especially in the Fall. If you haven't been I highly recommend it!

Good luck and let us know how you do,

tb

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
I will tell you that detecting down there this time of year is next to worthless. Tourists have almost completely gone, and the old timers have detected almost everything dry already.

That's okay, I've wanted to see the area forever; long before I was interseted in Mding.
Just the fact that the tourists are all but gone, is what made my old man finally agreeable to the trip! (he hates crowds)
Maybe the storm will erode just enough sand for me to find one little goodie.
territorial old timers, huh? i guess i can understand that. Years ago i went to Bingo with my mother one night at the local VFW. I won $300 within an hour. I'll tell you what>there was a whole herd of blue haired ladies wanting to hurt me! Never went back. hehehe...
So MAYBE i'll have some beginner's luck going on, ya think :)
Be Well,
Ash

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
I have spent the last 37yrs going to Hatteras. Lived there for 3. I actually painted the famous Cape Hatteras lighthouse in 1975 for the bicentenial! Just wished I was into metal detecting all those yrs. Used to go there to surf, and still try to get up there to stay with friends at least once a year.

Anyway here's a link you might be interested in about hunting the area. This will tell you a little about the area and were you can, and can't hunt. Hope you enjoy the site and good luck up there! http://www.outerbanksnc.net/ship.html

P.S. Just talked to a friend who lives in Buxton and I don't think now is the time to go with Ophelia banging the island. He said the bands were starting to hit pretty good as of last night.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?HH? 8) surfrat

cryptodave

Aug 25, 2005
Currituck County, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab
surfrat96 said:
P.S. Just talked to a friend who lives in Buxton and I don't think now is the time to go with Ophelia banging the island. He said the bands were starting to hit pretty good as of last night.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?HH? 8) surfrat

Ophelia was a waste of a hurricane up here. Winds were about as strong as an April day, and not very much rain to be honest. Of course, I'm about 40 miles from OBX, but I just got off the phone with an agent down there, and she said all they had was some rains and a couple of brown outs.
I'm still going to try to hit the beach on Saturday over in the 44 country to see if I can find anything that might have washed up.

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
surfrat96 said:
I have spent the last 37yrs going to Hatteras.

This will tell you a little about the area and were you can, and can't hunt. Hope you enjoy the site and good luck up there! http://www.outerbanksnc.net/ship.html

HH 8) surfrat

37 years...wow...so it MUST be as awesome as I've always figured! Funny, some people dream of Hawaii, some Floriday, but I've always had a yen for NC. And thanks for that cool web site, got the list of 'can detect' beaches :) yesssssssssssss!
be well
(~.~)

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
tb said:
. The Outer Banks are beautiful especially in the Fall. If you haven't been I highly recommend it!

Good luck and let us know how you do,

tb
Nope, I've never been. Looks like we're gonna be leaving on the 25th, late at night. The old man says "NO to 95"; he wants to take some other route that'll bypass Ny, DC, and all that congestion. I'm figuring Ophelia will be long gone; hope no new storms kick up .
Be well
(~.~)

OP
OP
ashleen

ashleen

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2005
NH
cryptodave said:
surfrat96 said:
I'm still going to try to hit the beach on Saturday over in the 44 country to see if I can find anything that might have washed up.

Good luck...i bet you a hot fudge sundae, you find your best piece ever! HH :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread