NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of these long handle scoops:

scoop.jpg

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I could make the handle float so that I don't have to have it tethered to me? I've seen some scoops that people had attached some type of float to the handle.

Upvote 0
G

gamiller

Attach swimming noodle to the handle. I believe that what there called. You see people in swimming classes use them to exercise.

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gamiller said:
Attach swimming noodle to the handle. I believe that what there called. You see people in swimming classes use them to exercise.

Thats what I did, cut a section of it and wire tied it to the lower part of the handle, I have a bungee cord on the handle that clips to my quick release belt and floats behind me. Works great and my scoop is the diamond head so its much heavier than yours....

Dixie Digger

Sep 11, 2006
Ga
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT W/S12 Coil & Excal 1000 & Fisher CZ21 Cz20,Tesoro Tiger Shark Excal ll
i have same type scoop..i took the bike grip off and poked the handle full of grey pipe insulation foam rubber from Lowe's and put a dog snap in the 1/4 hole in the bike grip and just snap it to your belt and drag it behind you...the foam makes the handle float up.

Attachments

• scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 216
  • scoop.jpg
    scoop.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 215
OP
OP
Schrecky

Schrecky

Mar 14, 2006
NW, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectra V3, Minelab Excailbur 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great suggestions. When the water is warm it's not a big deal to dive for it if you drop it but here in NW PA your chances of hunting in cold water are pretty high. The floating handle will be a great help.

By the way, there is no hunting going on here now since this morning it is 15 degrees BELOW zero and there is a foot and a half of snow on the ground. Will have to have my wife hide some coins in the cat's liter box and hunt there. :D

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
gamiller said:

That is what I would use too. Maybe attached with some bright colored zip ties.

Mr. Peabody said:
Great stuff expanding foam sealant, squirt in handle end using attached hose and back out as foam fills handle. Cut of excess re install handle cover. Warning this stuff is very sticky until it dries, don't get it on hands, clothes or in hair like I did, when using for winterizing my house last fall. ;D :wink:

Great Idea, Peabody. I would have never thought of it. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions