*%$#*&%

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
*%$#*&%

If I was a cussing woman I would be really using every word I could think of right about now! I have a Fisher CZ-20. About 3 weeks ago I went hunting but stayed in the dry sand as it was too cold to get in the water. It was extremely windy out that morning and my machine kept acting up and I blamed the wind. When I was facing into the wind it was very erratic. When my back was to the wind it seemed to work just fine. So I blamed the wind and thought perhaps it was time to put new batteries in just in case. So when I got home I put new batteries in.

A week later I drove all the way down to CWB (about an hour and a half from me). Got all the way down and put my gear on, walked to the beach, turned the detector on and...... a soft beep, a little red light and then NOTHING! I turned it off and back on... a soft beep, a little red light and NOTHING! OK I was sure I had just put in new batteries but.... with my memory maybe I didn't sooooo I put new batteries once again. By the way I do write it down in my spreadsheet when I put in new ones in. Well that time was not so bad because I had put in my Garrett GTI and I went ahead and got to hunt but stayed in the dry sand.

This morning I decided to head back down to CWB. Now I knew for a fact that I had put new batteries in AGAIN. I turned the machine on before putting it in the car and yep it was working fine. Off I went down to CWB. In fact I went a little farther to another area. I put my gear on.... walked to the tot lot just before the beach and turned it on. I got the soft beep, the red light came on. GREAT! I started hunting the tot lot and ..... NOTHING! No matter what I did NOTHING! I packed up my gear and drove down to the nearest convenient store and bought MORE batteries. Went back to the picnic tables and put in the new batteries, turned on the machine. A soft beep, a red light and then NOTHING! &%#8%*%*&

Well as you can tell I am no MD whiz. I don't know how to fix things or even figure out what the heck is wrong. All I know is that it is not working right.

I've heard the horror stories about guys sending their Fisher's in to be repaired and that they are charged huge amounts to get them repaired. I don't have that kind of money. Well unless I can come up with a plan my water hunting days are about over. This really stinks! OK I am done ranting and raving. At least on here. I will keep steaming here at home though.

:crybaby2:

Upvote 0

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Re: *%$#*&%

:'( :'( Maybe someone here will have some ideas on what is going on with it! That sucks!!

Painter65

Jan 10, 2009
Wilmington,NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150, Minelab Soveriegn Elite, Minelab 305

Dang that really does suck....
Im guessing youve done all this but thought Id add it anyway...

Check Battery compartment for any corrosion
Check ALL of the cable leads.
Visually inspect all of the cable for cracks, breaks, etc...
Check the connections (Pins, to make sure none are bent or broken)

Im not familiar with your brand but I would go over that battery compartment. If you just use Nine Volt batteries its possible one of the leads if broken or messed up. If thats the case its a pretty inexpensive fix for someone with a tiny bit of electronics experience and a soldering gun....

Good luck

rmptr

Silver Member
Dec 25, 2007
Tierra del Fuego
Detector(s) used
Tesoro.Fisher.Garrett

Maybe it's just bad contacts for the batteries???? Did you check them?

You might wish to try Keith Wills at brokendetector.com

He's highly recommended. Contact them and ask?

Best
rmptr

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Boy that stinks. Is there any dealers in your area that you could take it in person and have them look at it quick? Maybe it would be an easy fix. Maybe the batteries aren't making good contact etc. Have you looked in the battery compartment to make sure you don't see any corrosion or anything. Take a flash light and see if you can look in an make sure its all clean in there.

I know there are several great guys in your area RDI, and Cavedweller come to mind either one I would think may be able t at least be another set of eyes. Keep us posted , that stinks I know how much you enjoy your water hunting.

Keep you eyes on the pawn shops, a lot of folks are turning them in and there are some awesome machines out there at a steal price. They bought them when gold was real high thinking they were going to the beach and find a pair full of rings and of course after they dug a pail full of cans they get discouraged and take them to the pawn shop.

Check your batteries frequently. Remove your headset (leavethem around your neck or close by). Set the volume control at

“10” and click the SENS control counterclockwise into the BATT

TEST position. The condition of the batteries will be indicated in

two ways:

1. An Audio Tone: The stronger, the better. A loud,

high pitched tone indicates good batteries. Aweak, low pitched tone or “ticking” sound

indicates weak batteries. No tone means it’s time

to change the batteries.

2. Light Emitting Diodes: When both LED’s are

brightly lit, your batteries are fully charged or nearly

fully charged. One brightly lit LED means your

batteries are about half gone. When both LED’s are

out it’s time to replace the batteries.

The CZ-20 is powered by four, 9-volt transistor batteries located

in the rear section of the control housing. The batteries are sealed

BATTERY REPLACEMENT

16. Divers should make sure the drain holes in the

headset are unobstructed. Better yet, wait until

you’re on the bottom before putting your headset

on, and take it off before surfacing.

17. Divers should also keep the search coil at least

2 feet away from their bodies. Metal gear (weights,

gauges, tanks, etc.) will be detected by the CZ-20

if held too close.

8. Practice. Practice over known targets. Practice

ground balancing. Practice pinpointing. Reread

the appropriate part of this manual if you’re having

problems.

For even more “how-to” information, see your Fisher dealer for

“Advanced Treasure Hunting with the Fisher QuickSilver Series Metal

Detectors” an 88-page, illustrated book by CZ expert Andy Sabisch.

OPERATING TIPS

off from the electronics so that accidental water leakage into

the battery compartment will not damage the circuitry. To

replace the batteries, remove the battery access door:

1. Remove the battery door by partially unscrewing

the two knurled thumb screws with a coin or

screwdriver. (The knurled knobs are “captive

screws” and do not have to be completely

removed from the battery door.)

2. Remove the battery pack from the Control

Housing. It’s not necessary to disconnect the

battery lead connector. Be very careful not to put

any undue strain on the battery leads.

3. Remove the batteries from the battery pack, and

install fresh alkaline batteries. You may also use

rechargeable Nicads, but expect about half the

battery life.

4. Insert the battery pack into the Control Housing.

With your finger, push the top of the battery pack

(with the leads) into the Control Housing first, then

let the bottom follow.

5. Make sure the O-ring and both sealing surfaces

are clear before reinstalling the battery cover. THIS

IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT!

6. Finger tighten the thumb screws, then carefully

tighten again 1/4 turn with a coin or screwdriver.

I am not a fisher man but don't they have a limited lifetime warranty? Also try emailing them they maybe able to help. It is worth a quick email....

email: [email protected]

FLauthor

Aug 22, 2004
Minneola, FL
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 800; Fisher F5; White Beachmaster VLF
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Mumsie: Go to the post office and get a flat rate priority mailbox and ship the control box and coil to Fisher. Have them give you an estimate. It could be a wire that came loose or corrosion on a lead.Get an estimate before repair.
In 2007, my 1990 Minelab Excalibur that crapped out, sent it in and they rebuilt it for $200.00. I got a brand new 2007 control box and coil for $200.00. The only thing original on my unit is the shaft. I know money is tight but having a $1200.00 detector in the closet, isn't doing you any good. If you've saved any of the gold rings and stuff of value that you've found then sell it to a Goldsmith or coin shop to get top dollar, never go to a pawn shop.
Good luck. :wink:

OP
OP
mumszie

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida

Ok I got an email from Fisher this afternoon and I have boxed up the machine and will be sending it to Texas first thing tomorrow morning. I had to send a check for $25.00 to help cover the shipping and handling charges and I've requested an estimate BEFORE they do any work on the machine. Now..... I wait! Meanwhile to keep from going into total withdrawal... I will land hunt with my Garrett GTI 1500. I love this machine and I've been doing fairly well with it. So gng's I'll keep you posted as I found out. ::)

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250

Very much looking forward to seeing what you find!! Hopefully your water machine will be back good as new very soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread